Native American group slams Kardashian mom comment

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
A Native American group is denouncing a comment Kim Kardashian’s mother made on national television as being “wrong and hurtful.”

"....when Jenner was asked if her daughter should return Kris Humphries’ $2 million engagement ring after their 72-day marriage ended.

Jenner responded with a laugh, saying: “Well, I hate an Indian giver. Don’t you? It’s a gift. Keep your gift.”

http://www.app.com/article/20111104...comment?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Frontpage|s

poo poo on the Kardashians . . . nothing they say or do surprises me anymore.

I think it is funny she said this for their whole Fan Club to hear!

Oh, to me an engagement ring is NOT a gift but a promise . . . why would you want to keep it (bad juju). I returned my 3 carat platinum ring & could have used the $$$.

"The cultural values of Native Americans are based on giving unconditionally and empowering those around them. Instead this cultural value is forgotten when negative stereotyping of Native people occurs."

Pata noted that November is Native American Heritage Month and invited the Jenner and Kardashian family to "join with the country in learning more" about American Indian culture.

http://www.brandonsun.com/world/bre...ment-made-on-national-tv-133277288.html?thx=y

I thought that the term 'Indian Giver' referred to the many promises that the colonists made to the natives and then took back.

IMHO, an engagement ring is NOT a gift. It's given as a token of promise to marry, a promise to a commitment. I'd say if you can't keep that promise, or marry for nefarious reasons (ie, ratigs, 30% of commercial profits) then you shouldn't keep the ring. It should be returned along with the swag the guests purchased for K&K. Keeping the ring and making a 200K donation to a charity IMHO is ridiculous. Just my opinion.

MOO

Mel

in many states the engagement ring is considered part of a contract between 2 people that they are getting married. if they split up before the wedding legally most judges would say she has to return it. but in this case they went through with the marriage so i'm not sure. personally i believe she should give it back but legally? not sure.

I have no idea why she would want to keep the ring, anyway... I agree that it is just bad luck... But, I also read that she bought the thing for herself, so I guess in that case, she should keep it. This entire thing was such a hoax...

BTW, I am Native American (Blackfoot) & it did kind of make me mad when I heard that Queen Jenner said "Indian giver"... Mostly because I think she is a giant hypocrite & if someone made some sort of Armenian slur, she would have lost her mind...

I would not doubt it, at all, if we came to find out that Kim wanted out WAY before the wedding & Mama guilted her into sticking with it just so she could get her 15%...

What? She said what? Not acceptable. All the more wrong considering she's the "leader" of that family. Isn't she the spokesperson for the clan?

Why oh why oh why would she utter something like that? Why are Native American's still depicted and portrayed in a negative, derogatory light? What makes this O.K.?

JE, thank you for the information. Here in Philadelphia they tried to change our Delaware Avenue to Columbus Boulevard. They only succeded part way. More Native American history needs to be taught to our children and not that cowboy and "indians" stuff.

Indians.:doh::doh::doh:

made some sort of Armenian slur,

Do you have one?:waitasec: Seriously I want to yell it across the street at my neighbors of 25 years.:peace:I jest as I adore my neighbors. Nice, nice folk.

Actually according to my elderly gentleman that Kris is not Armenian. Her deceased ex is and some of her kids, but not her. Don't ask me how an 86 year old man knows that.:waitasec:

UGH, Kris Jenner is soooo offensive on many, many levels. Khloe called it right when she called her Mom a "publicity *advertiser censored*"; harsh words, but so true, imo.... I think Kim has gotten the worst of Kris' "mothering"; Kim has been raised to sell out and make money for Mama, damn the consequences. I'll bet the deceased father, Robert Kardashian, is spinning in his grave over the way his ex prostitutes his daughters!! For example, the way Kris conned Kim into posing for Playboy; Kris freely admitted that it has been a lifelong dream of hers to pose for the magazine. The woman DISGUSTS me, WHEN will her kids wake up and call her out on her BS??!! I feel sorry for Kendall and Kylie, I hope they're prepared to be "pimped out" for the next decade...:twocents:

in many states the engagement ring is considered part of a contract between 2 people that they are getting married. if they split up before the wedding legally most judges would say she has to return it. but in this case they went through with the marriage so i'm not sure. personally i believe she should give it back but legally? not sure.
Sometimes there's "legal" and then there's "what's right." The ring is worth $2 mil. They were together, what, two months? She should give it back for sure. It's the right thing to do.

I thought that the term 'Indian Giver' referred to the many promises that the colonists made to the natives and then took back.

No. It refers to Native Americans taking back gifts. I AM SPECULATING HERE: many American Indian tribes had very different concepts of property and ownership than Europeans here. I assume misunderstandings arose because of this and the language barrier.

In fairness to Kardashian, even though I know better, I can imagine the expression popping out of my mouth without a thought, because as a kid, I learned the saying without ever really associating it with actual Native Americans.

If that happened, of course the only appropriate response would be an immediate and sincere apology.

What? She said what? Not acceptable. All the more wrong considering she's the "leader" of that family. Isn't she the spokesperson for the clan?

Why oh why oh why would she utter something like that? Why are Native American's still depicted and portrayed in a negative, derogatory light? What makes this O.K.?

JE, thank you for the information. Here in Philadelphia they tried to change our Delaware Avenue to Columbus Boulevard. They only succeded part way. More Native American history needs to be taught to our children and not that cowboy and "indians" stuff.

Indians.:doh::doh::doh:

NDNs ;)

I have no idea why she would want to keep the ring, anyway... I agree that it is just bad luck... But, I also read that she bought the thing for herself, so I guess in that case, she should keep it. This entire thing was such a hoax...

BTW, I am Native American (Blackfoot) & it did kind of make me mad when I heard that Queen Jenner said "Indian giver"... Mostly because I think she is a giant hypocrite & if someone made some sort of Armenian slur, she would have lost her mind...

I would not doubt it, at all, if we came to find out that Kim wanted out WAY before the wedding & Mama guilted her into sticking with it just so she could get her 15%...

I'm Shawnee and when I heard it my first thought was that it was her obvious Botox to brain cell ratio deficiency, but I know it's plain ignorance. To me the biggest slur is the S word but any slur makes me mad. I think our ancestors paid too high a price to still have an atmosphere of ignorance/racism in this country.

I'm Shawnee and when I heard it my first thought was that it was her obvious Botox to brain cell ratio deficiency, but I know it's plain ignorance. To me the biggest slur is the S word but any slur makes me mad. I think our ancestors paid too high a price to still have an atmosphere of ignorance/racism in this country.

For the record, the Native Americans I know (including scholars and activists) say they have no problem with the term American Indians. If you disagree, I apologize for my insensitivity.

I never thought I'd be defending a Kardashian, but I know from personal experience that sometimes we learn expressions without ever thinking about their literal meanings or connecting the words to living people.

I'm embarrassed to admit I used the expression "to jew someone down" about 20 years ago. As soon as I heard it out loud, it occurred to me what it must mean, but I really hadn't thought about it. The friends present (most of whom happened to be Jewish) graciously accepted my apology.

I think Kardashian should say she's sorry and that should be the end of this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back