Nativity scene sparks outrage

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Casshew, Dec 9, 2004.

1. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

Christian leaders on Wednesday denounced a Nativity scene at a London wax museum featuring soccer star David Beckham and his wife Victoria, a former Spice Girl, as the parents of Jesus. The waxwork tableau at Madame Tussauds museum included U.S. President George W. Bush as one of the three Wise Men, actors Hugh Grant and Samuel Jackson as shepherds and Australian disco diva Kylie Minogue as an angel. "There is a well-understood tradition that each generation interprets and reinterprets the Nativity . . . but, oh dear!" said Rev. Jonathan Jenkins, spokesman for the archbishop of Canterbury, who leads the world's 77 million Anglicans.

At the Vatican, a spokesman said it was unacceptable to have celebrities representing Jesus, Joseph or Mary.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2004/12/08/773608-ap.html

2. Loading...

3. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

4. Julez1054

Julez1054 Dr. Christian Troy is Sexy!

Wow, and I guess it's unacceptable too when children in school represent the nativity scene during Christmas plays and such....The Vatican needs to get a life....I thought it was creative. Anyone who takes offense to that is ridiculous.

5. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

It was tacky, but I'm not offended.

6. tennessee

tennessee Blew out my flipflop. Stepped on a pop top . . .

Good grief.

7. lisag

lisag Former Member

hmmmm....
    Why ???

8. Casshew

Casshew Former Member

Beckham nativity scene attacked in London

A protester has knocked over a controversial waxwork nativity scene featuring the England soccer captain David Beckham and his wife Victoria.

The work at the Madame Tussaud's museum stars the Beckhams as the holy couple Mary and Joseph.

It also features Kylie Minogue as an angel and Tony Blair, George Bush and the Duke of Edinburgh as the three wise men.

Christians of all denominations have been united in calling the exhibit a new low in the cult of celebrity worship.

The museum says it has proved popular with the public.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200412/s1265101.htm