NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

There's the FBI investigation and they don't comment.
Hopefully they're still involved.

imo:

It's ironic that the same state health dept that was responsible for inspecting Trails for violations that endanger children's lives now comes up with a list that is reprehensible.
Had the young boy not died it would most likely still be business as usual at Trails.
I don't recall the FBI being involved. When did they enter the investigation?

If in fact the facility is in possession of letters, documents approving the above, the state's going to have a hard time explaining why they previously approved the referenced procedures/policies. Moo

Why would the camp fail to furnish these items? This is not a rhetorical question. On advice of lawyers or what? This is part of what their counsel has called privileged, not necessary to disclose to investigators, and which they reserved the right to keep internal and non-public? That’s fine, I’m just wondering the exact reasoning.

MARS errors, requires intense daily review, a weak link in most facilities, greater than a few clients. MOO... Most facilities fail to provide manpower and appropriate time for a daily review. This facility clearly lacks MARS oversight.
MOO.. facilities need to bite the bullet, and hire an RN a few hours a month, to review/audit MARS.

Wow, I am still so confused. This must be the layperson in me. These errors that you say are commonplace require “intense daily review” but can also be solved with “a few hours a month” of “review/audit?”

Why would the camp fail to furnish these items? This is not a rhetorical question. On advice of lawyers or what? This is part of what their counsel has called privileged, not necessary to disclose to investigators, and which they reserved the right to keep internal and non-public? That’s fine, I’m just wondering the exact reasoning.

Wow, I am still so confused. This must be the layperson in me. These errors that you say are commonplace require “intense daily review” but can also be solved with “a few hours a month” of “review/audit?”
I can NOT confirm, Trails, does on fact have written document approval for the bivy. The statement on the survey completed, related to DC1 death.

MARS is a complicated form for most Med Techs. NC requires non licensed staff, administering medicine, to complete a course and pass test administered in Raleigh. I actually participated in the entire process and gained a license, in order to have a better understanding of medication errors. I have a master's degree and struggled with the various as needed (PRN).
Now add to the fact the employee has multiple tasks, and this is probably their least favorite. The form is very intimidating when it is filled out it is a massive amount of information, handwritten in many cases.
Large facilities have gone to computer systems for medication administration. These programs alert each shift to medication errors, that should be corrected at the end of the shift. Those without, should be reviewed daily and I recommend at least monthly by RN.

Moo ...

Attachments

• medication-administration-record-sample.pdf
    536 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: IDK
The medication errors noted on the survey, are mostly related to unable to get the medication. If you read the employee statements and chart notes, many times it's related to the family not sending the medication, repeated attempts to acquire medication from family noted on the survey. Even though the prescription bottle is mailed to the facility by the family, it still requires a written order from the physician in the patient chart. This is a MAJOR problem, after physician orders through a pharmacy, they would not send a duplicate prescription to the facility.

Per NC code, you must match the prescription bottle label to a written prescription by the physician, to the MARS, prior to administering. A three step process designed to prevent medication errors.

Seems simple, but try getting a physician on the phone to explain, yes I know you sent a prescription to the pharmacy, but the state of North Carolina requires you to send one to us, as well.

Facilities with veterans experience the same problem. The VA mail medication to the facility and it cannot be administered until a physician faxes a written order that matches the label on the prescription. I've seen these type facilities actually invest in sending a staff member with the client in order to capture the written prescription.

I'm certainly not defending this facility. I believe all facilities need to invest the time, and the money for qualified oversight, to ensure medications are not given prior to all required documentation.

Who suffers, the patient suffers.
Moo

Reactions: IDK
I don't recall the FBI being involved. When did they enter the investigation?
It was reported in the Asheville Citizen Times on February 14, 2024 headline FBI assisting in death probe at WNC wilderness camp; toxicology test. I cannot share a link because the site require a subscription to view the story.

NM found another link

News 13 has learned the FBI is also assisting local law enforcement with the investigation.

"I can confirm the FBI is assisting the Transylvania County Sheriff's Office," a spokesperson for the FBI Charlotte Division wrote in an email to News 13 on Wednesday. "We often assist local agencies if we have a tool, a tactic, or a technique that can aid their investigation."
Transcript of 911 call in boy's death at wilderness camp released by sheriff's office

It was reported in the Asheville Citizen Times on February 14, 2024 headline FBI assisting in death probe at WNC wilderness camp; toxicology test. I cannot share a link because the site require a subscription to view the story.

NM found another link

News 13 has learned the FBI is also assisting local law enforcement with the investigation.

"I can confirm the FBI is assisting the Transylvania County Sheriff's Office," a spokesperson for the FBI Charlotte Division wrote in an email to News 13 on Wednesday. "We often assist local agencies if we have a tool, a tactic, or a technique that can aid their investigation."
Transcript of 911 call in boy's death at wilderness camp released by sheriff's office
Thank You!
I was looking and you were already there.

NM found another link

Thanks. The FBI has a vast array of resources.

Very sad that kids, some probably simply autistic, are being forced into an outdoor experience that is torturous and prison like. The location should be shut down and the operation given to someone who can make it a positive experience.
Yes, page 82 of the report describes some of the "students" (what a misnomer THAT is--more like "detainees") as being at the camp because they are "on the spectrum" and/or have "trouble regulating emotions." It's really hard for me to believe that any reasonable adult would honestly believe that these issues could be best addressed by the psychological terrorism of Trails and its disreputable peer "camps."

Yes, page 82 of the report describes some of the "students" (what a misnomer THAT is--more like "detainees") as being at the camp because they are "on the spectrum" and/or have "trouble regulating emotions." It's really hard for me to believe that any reasonable adult would honestly believe that these issues could be best addressed by the psychological terrorism of Trails and its disreputable peer "camps."
"Trouble regulating emotions" might be a sign of good mental health in this context. Responding to this kind of torture with wailing, screaming, flailing, intransigence, would be a healthy response.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stupot77
Back