NC - 12-year-old dies at Trails Carolina wilderness therapy camp, Lake Toxaway, February 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm wondering where the State moved the children, they removed. Placing 18 adolescence, with emotional and behavioral diagnosis, on short notice is not easy. Many of the children need meds, requiring a doctor's order, how did DSS provide the meds, on short notice? Who explained to these children, why and where they were being moved?

MOO...This was preplanned and orchestrated by the sheriff and local DSS when they found out Behavioral Health did not have enough evidence to close the facility.

Moo, they're in a state, locked down facility, scared to death. I don't see a private agency touching this with a 10 ft pole.

Moo...
I'm not sure the distinction between one DHHS entity over another isn't too fine a line. DSS, while administered locally, is also under DHHS. I'm sure the decision was done with the awareness and endorsement at the highest levels of the agency.

Meg Appelgate, CEO of Unsilenced, an advocacy group for former residents of teen treatment facilities, said she has heard many complaints about Trails Carolina. In response to those complaints, her group surveyed former Trails Carolina participants in October, and more than 60 have responded, she said.

“The vast majority said it was a horrible experience, and they didn’t benefit,” Appelgate said.

Some complained about not getting appropriate medical attention, Appelgate said. Others said they were forced to take part in activities even when sick or injured. A number spoke of being restrained by staff who put them inside their sleeping bags and then wrapped those sleeping bags with tarps — a technique they called the “burrito.” Some said the tactic made it hard for them to breathe, Appelgate said

The Dept of Human Services (DSS) removed the children. The Behavioral Health Board did NOT close them.

So, did the local sheriff and locals social services make this decision after they found out BHH was not going to close the facility? Theu call up parents and threatened to take custody if they don't immediately come pick up the child.

OMG, to be threatened by DSS and the Sheriff's, to go in and physical remove emotional challenged adolescence and take into custody. What a nightmare for these children.
Moo

Press Release for Dept of Human Services
Straight from the mouth of NCDHHS:

The decision has been made to remove all children from the care of Trails Carolina, and all new admissions are suspended. While the investigation is ongoing and we cannot comment on specific details, it was determined that action needed to be taken to ensure the health and safety of the children. Parents have been notified and children will be temporarily taken into care of Transylvania County DSS.

I’m sure the parents ARE upset that their children were taken into custody of DSS. They should be directing their anger at Trails Carolina. Most of them probably are, TBH. The camp’s PR machine is just spinning the narrative in a desperate attempt to protect themselves.

DSS is used to being a parent’s public enemy number one. They’re okay with that so long as the children are safe, as am I.

Truthfully, I can’t imagine why these parents hadn’t already pulled their children out of there.

I'm not sure the distinction between one DHHS entity over another isn't too fine a line. DSS, while administered locally, is also under DHHS. I'm sure the decision was done with the awareness and endorsement at the highest levels of the agency.
I agree, the state was informed and a judge had to sign off and grant a removal order.
The State HHS would never disregard a court order.
Moo

I assume there would also be backlash if the kids weren't removed from the facility where a child had died under the camp's supervision in unknown but seemingly suspicious circumstances IMO

Meg Appelgate, CEO of Unsilenced, an advocacy group for former residents of teen treatment facilities, said she has heard many complaints about Trails Carolina. In response to those complaints, her group surveyed former Trails Carolina participants in October, and more than 60 have responded, she said.

“The vast majority said it was a horrible experience, and they didn’t benefit,” Appelgate said.

Some complained about not getting appropriate medical attention, Appelgate said. Others said they were forced to take part in activities even when sick or injured. A number spoke of being restrained by staff who put them inside their sleeping bags and then wrapped those sleeping bags with tarps — a technique they called the “burrito.” Some said the tactic made it hard for them to breathe, Appelgate said
I certainly hope, that the organization, reported to BHH the information she possesses. I didn't find anything about the survey in the site, no mention of conducting. I did look under every drop down available. Nothing under Investigations or Active in the News, The last post 7/23. She did the survey in Oct.

I'm wondering how she reached out to campers and if they were verified. No quantitative information on how she collected or verified data for the survey. I don't even see it mentioned anywhere on the website. I could have over looked.

Unfortunately, the article is behind a pay wall and I'm unable to read, if in fact she report and filed complaints with BHH or spoke with legislators, regarding her findings? Do we know if the organization took action, after their survey? Did they meet with state legislatures, to discuss funding and solicit support? I wonder how they obtained a client list to provide surveys or was it unverified.

So many unanswered questions ...
Moo

Facility​

Trails Carolina​

Facility Address
500 Winding Gap Road
Lake Toxaway
Transylvania County

Mailing Address

Lake Toxaway
NC

Contact Information
In Care of: Jeremy Whitworth
Phone: (972)955-1337
Program codeServicesAgeFacility TypeDisability Category
27G.5200Residential Therapeutic Camps-Children & Adolescents-all Disability GroupsMINORRESIDENTLMD
Inspection TypeDocument TypeInspection DatePages
MHLCS Annual and Follow-upPlan of Correction6/12/202323
MHLCS Annual and Follow-upStatement of Deficiency6/12/202322
MHLCS Annual and ComplaintPlan of Correction6/21/202111
MHLCS Annual and ComplaintStatement of Deficiency6/21/202111
MHLCS Follow-upStatement of Deficiency10/1/20191
MHLCS Follow-upPlan of Correction6/19/20199
MHLCS Follow-upStatement of Deficiency6/19/20199
MHLCS Annual and Follow-upPlan of Correction3/25/201916
MHLCS Annual and Follow-upStatement of Deficiency3/25/201916

Moo, they're in a state, locked down facility, scared to death.

So the only thing that’s changed is that now they are locked down and scared in a state facility rather than a private one that is profiting off their presence.

IMO, it’s an improvement for accountability and care for these poor kids.

While it’s unclear what caused the boy’s mouth to froth, that “could’ve indicated that he ingested some sort of poison,” according to an affidavit from a detective who obtained the search warrant.

A camp counselor told investigators that the boy was required to sleep on the floor inside a sleeping bag, which in turn was inside a small tent called a bivy bag.

The counselor said the boy was checked at 12 am, 3 am and 6 am on Feb. 3, and was found dead at 7:45 am that day. But when investigators arrived that morning, the boy’s body was stiff and “cold to the touch,” the search warrants said.

Facility​

Trails Carolina​

Facility Address
500 Winding Gap Road
Lake Toxaway
Transylvania County

Mailing Address

Lake Toxaway
NC

Contact Information
In Care of: Jeremy Whitworth
Phone: (972)955-1337
Program codeServicesAgeFacility TypeDisability Category
27G.5200Residential Therapeutic Camps-Children & Adolescents-all Disability GroupsMINORRESIDENTLMD
Inspection TypeDocument TypeInspection DatePages
MHLCS Annual and Follow-upPlan of Correction6/12/202323
MHLCS Annual and Follow-upStatement of Deficiency6/12/202322
MHLCS Annual and ComplaintPlan of Correction6/21/202111
MHLCS Annual and ComplaintStatement of Deficiency6/21/202111
MHLCS Follow-upStatement of Deficiency10/1/20191
MHLCS Follow-upPlan of Correction6/19/20199
MHLCS Follow-upStatement of Deficiency6/19/20199
MHLCS Annual and Follow-upPlan of Correction3/25/201916
MHLCS Annual and Follow-upStatement of Deficiency3/25/201916
was expecting more messed up Rx problems but some of these are expired fiber supplements and acne meds... the clients really do have complex problems and not sure how safe any restraints are; running away is a big problem IMO

NCDHHS has a history of disciplinary measures against the camp with five “Statements of Deficiencies” issued between 2019 and 2023, the most recent issued in June, stating that multiple children at the camp were physically restrained.

“Based on observation, interview and record review, the facility failed to ensure training on alternatives to restrictive interventions,” NCDHHS wrote in part.

“I just tried to run. … I was like 5 to 10 feet away from them (staff). … I wanted space,” one child reported.

“I went out of camp boundaries. … I wanted space and didn’t want people watching me,” another described, saying that staff forced them to the ground with their arms pinned to their sides.

Another camper showed officials a large bruise and said that they were restrained by a staff member who held her arms up in different directions.

NCDHHS notes in their paperwork, “Seclusion, physical restraint and isolation time-out may be employed only by staff who have been trained and have demonstrated competence in the proper use of and alternatives to these procedures. Facilities shall ensure that staff authorized to employ and terminate these procedures are retrained and have demonstrated competence at least annually.”

In the missive sent to Trail Carolina after the child’s death, NCDHHS wrote, “Further, we want to remind you that the use of restrictive interventions must be reported as outlined in the IRIS manual for which Trails Carolina is subject and must adhere to.”

We don’t even know if for real there was a panic attack. There could have been deliberate infliction of panic-inducing trauma.

100%. The whole thing has trauma written all over it from start to finish. And panic attacks are common in acute trauma. Even forgetting the barbaric treatment that's been reported, the original "kidnapping" from home is highly traumatic and something that should be criminally investigated. This is not discipline for rowdy or delinquent children. This is trauma that, in my view, is equivalent to any other form of mistreatment and abuse of a child.

MOO

MOO.

The Dept of Human Services (DSS) removed the children. The Behavioral Health Board did NOT close them.

So, did the local sheriff and locals social services make this decision after they found out BHH was not going to close the facility? Theu call up parents and threatened to take custody if they don't immediately come pick up the child.

OMG, to be threatened by DSS and the Sheriff's, to go in and physical remove emotional challenged adolescence and take into custody. What a nightmare for these children.
Moo

Press Release for Dept of Human Services
That's funny because I see the kids as having been exuberant with glee getting out of that hell hole.

Snip from your post.
"OMG, to be threatened by DSS and the Sheriff's, to go in and physical remove emotional challenged adolescence and take into custody. What a nightmare for these children."

I'm wondering where the State moved the children, they removed. Placing 18 adolescence, with emotional and behavioral diagnosis, on short notice is not easy. Many of the children need meds, requiring a doctor's order, how did DSS provide the meds, on short notice? Who explained to these children, why and where they were being moved?

MOO...This was preplanned and orchestrated by the sheriff and local DSS when they found out Behavioral Health did not have enough evidence to close the facility.

Moo, they're in a state, locked down facility, scared to death. I don't see a private agency touching this with a 10 ft pole.

Moo...

Wherever they are, it has to be better than at Trails, IMO.

This argument is equivalent to saying the state shouldn't take children out of abusive homes because we know foster homes aren't great.

MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back