NC - $4 million in gold stolen in I-95 heist

O/T: Just out of curiosity, how far is this from Robeson county? Just wondering. Couldn't help but think of Sara Graham when I saw I-95...I learned in her thread about the high crime in her area, as well as corruption.

Robeson County.
108.8 mi; 1 hr 48 mins to Wilson County, all/mostly I-95.
per http://www.bing.com/search?q=distan...nversationid=98DBAEB06E0641BBB4F5FCFA4D947E2C

Wilson County - gold heist site

Hope it helps.

Even if the guards weren't involved, it was definitely an inside job. Someone tipped the robbers that a tractor trailer would be transporting four million in gold. A tractor trailer is the stupidest way to transport gold. Armored trucks are bullet proof so guards can hunker down inside them.

bbm
When I first saw the article about this in my newspaper, my jaw dropped to the floor. Why in the world was this gold transported in a semi-truck? Even if transporting this amount (in this case, "amount" means size of the gold, not weight or value) of gold would require 2 armored trucks, why not that? They were not hauling watermelons.

When I worked for a bank, our order of cash/coin from the Fed would of course be delivered by armored trucks. There were 3 people in the truck: two would exit the truck with the delivery in a locked bag, with weapons (big handguns) drawn, and come into the bank. A third was in the storage area of the truck with a rifle in his hands, watching. The armed deliverers would return to the truck, still with weapons drawn & ready, and they would check the interior of the truck and the front seat, unlock the doors and get inside and depart. It did not matter if they delivered a little cash or a lot, this was the procedure.

This was not being done for that amount of gold? Odd, IMO. Asking for trouble, IMO.

New info from ^here, w below bbm sbm.

Did not pull off highway w mechanical prob, but carsick crew member.
"... one of them started to feel sick and said he smelled gas" per county sheriff Woodward.
"
However, after deputies arrived, a mechanic found no problems with the truck, according to the sheriff."
"The guards got out of the tractor-trailer without their guns, according to the sheriff, who said it was a
company security violation to leave the truck without their weap
ons
."
Carsick? I smell something besides gas, kinda fishy?

"The fact that the truck was robbed immediately upon pulling over at an unannounced stop is suspicious in and of itself," the warrant states, adding that the truck had no external markings indicating the cargo."
Pix in wbtw link above shows no markings on trailer, but looks like truck door bears co. logo.
Maybe a lucky guess by the perps?

"The warrant said the suspects tried to steal the truck but could not get it started, indicating they did not know how to operate a commercial truck."
Fortunately, perps drove a cargo van, not a mini-van as stated in 911 call. Guns in hand.
"...three robbers drove up in a cargo van and confronted them at gunpoint..."
Ready for bigger payload than a mini-van, literally.

Safety minded robbers wanted to avert potential collisions by others:
"T
he thieves then set out orange traffic cones while they gathered up 275 pounds of gold bars...."

"Woodard said that the robbers cut a padlock, but there were no other security measures to stop them
."
That is, aside from employer-issued guns guard-drivers left in the truck?

"[before] ...the victims, who spoke little English, could be thoroughly interviewed in Spanish."
Language barrier?

"The company has offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest."
I thought I read elsewhere that reward was also for return of gold.

Looking forward to further developments.
BBM in red

I couldn't stop laughing at that one.
:silly:

Inside job? No kidding!

MOO

The victims could barely speak English, yet the thieves told them they had been following... What are the odds that Spanish speaking highway bandits just so happen upon a truck loaded with gold and silver being driven by Spanish speaking guards. It's almost comical how obvious this has to be an inside job.

The victims could barely speak English, yet the thieves told them they had been following... What are the odds that Spanish speaking highway bandits just so happen upon a truck loaded with gold and silver being driven by Spanish speaking guards. It's almost comical how obvious this has to be an inside job.

Seriously!

It's also comical that they "secured" $10 million of gold and silver with a $20 Masterlock.

How a $500,000 gold bar recovered by police in Florida was the 'big break' in $5million North Carolina heist investigation

Heist occurred March 1 in Wilson County, North Carolina

Armored truck traveling from Miami to Boston was robbed by three men

275 pounds of gold worth nearly $5 million stolen

A 26-pound gold bar worth $500,000 now recovered in South Florida

Police previously suspected it was an inside job

The guards had pulled over because one felt sick

Goods transported with company, TransValue, insured up to $100 million

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-gold-heist-investigation.html#ixzz3Xz2eIsKi

How a $500,000 gold bar recovered by police in Florida was the 'big break' in $5million North Carolina heist investigation

Heist occurred March 1 in Wilson County, North Carolina

Armored truck traveling from Miami to Boston was robbed by three men

275 pounds of gold worth nearly $5 million stolen

A 26-pound gold bar worth $500,000 now recovered in South Florida

Police previously suspected it was an inside job

The guards had pulled over because one felt sick

Goods transported with company, TransValue, insured up to $100 million

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-gold-heist-investigation.html#ixzz3Xz2eIsKi

Cmon LE. You are just now doing this.

"Police are now seeking a search warrant for the phones of the armed guard who felt sick because of the suspicious nature of the case."

Why wasnt that done on ALL the drivers for the truck in the first place. Dont tell me political correctness is now preventing LE from checking out people that are possibly and likely to be knowledge of an inside job.

Good Grief.

Also if you look at that gold bar on the right side, it has been sawed off some. I think someone has sawed off a chunk and may have tried to sell a piece of it or melt it down.

If LE is listening I just want 1 gold bar for my assistance. Only 1. LOL
Nobody has to know its worth about 1/2 million.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...a-gold-heist-investigation.html#ixzz3Xz2eIsKi

Okay, time for everyone to go to the garage, basement, maybe even backyard to check for 5 gal buckets???
In my garage, 3 buckets --- one w. mixed birdseed, another w. striped sunflower seed, and one empty.
Hoping someone else on the forum has better luck. Hatfield & Boodles - while you are waiting, try this:

And Hatfield, good observation about the sawn off gold bar. I wonder if that would make it easier or harder to sell.

(Mods, Sorry, I do not know how to size down the pix.)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back