NC - 6 Shark Attacks in North Carolina waters, June 2015

Go and enjoy. I have swam there many, many times over the years. Lot's of coral reef off Bavaro Beach. We, last few years have found a lovely condo area in Freeport Bahamas. Luv it. Walk right out and hubby is standing in the oceon fishing. Mostly barracuda that will swim near you so best not to wear rings etc. as the reflection could cause a bite. This past March a lemon Shark showed up and cruised back and forth in waist high water. Locals said they had never seen a shark there in over 15 years. She appeared injured and folks just figured she was resting and feeding near shore. A day later she was gone.
Sounds like a lovely swim spot Bravo. Hey its their ocean anyway, I'm just gonna make sure I'm not the slowest swimmer in the water!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How scary. The reporters said people were back in the water an hour after that man was attacked. crazy imo

Parker Slaybaugh ‏@Parker8News 24m24 minutes ago
I just spoke with a leading shark expert in the country, he tells me his opinion is that the beaches at the Outer... http://fb.me/6CEIfqdf5

OK....not very reassuring that a "leading shark expert" thinks OBX beaches where attacks have happened should be closed. On the other hand, that kinda sort of means closing all of the Hatteras seashore, since the affected beaches are pretty close to one another with a scattering of others along the way....Salvo, Frisco, etc.

How are you feeling about going there, Trident? I'm more worried about the weather. Calling for rain everyday next week. Umm. Are sharks any more likely to attack in rainy weather?

Four years ago I miraculously avoided serious injury from a shark attack. I was at Carolina Beach, NC and waded into the crystal clear water up to about waist high. I noticed two dark things rapidly charging through the water straight toward me. I remember thinking that these two fish were going to run right into me. As it approached within twenty feet of me I realized what I thought was two fish was actually the tips of fins of a five ft. shark. I immediately lifted my left leg in an attempt to get out of the direct path (and to walk on water). The shark rolled a bit to his side and we actually looked each other directly in the eyes. Fortunately my leg was up in the air and I was in the process of turning around because the instant the shark slammed into my inner right thigh I brought my left foot down and slammed it on top of the shark's head. He was snapping his mouth trying to take a bite out of my leg. After the kick to the head he immediately swam past me straight toward a man with a baby on his shoulders. This poor man was holding his baby's hands and was screaming. The only way he could have fought off the shark was to let go of his baby. But, the shark dodged the man, swung around him and came right back at me. He then slammed into the calf of my left leg and and I was desperately trying to kick him with my right foot. People who were in the water behind me were trying to get to shore away from the attack. I made it to shore with no injuries! My legs were shaking so hard I couldn't stand. Life guard came up on a four-wheeler and made the comment that this was the fifth time that day that someone reported a shark was trying to attack them. I was furious that he did not make people get out of the water or inform us that there was a shark there.

I still feel panic when I read about these people being attacked by sharks

WOW!!

So glad you came out of it ok.

You did great at describing the incident and did great at fighting him off.

I think the thing I am learning about them is they attack in water that is a lot shallower than I relized. I used to always think you would have to be in over your head but the more I hear about the attacks and stories like yours it seems common that sharks attack in shallow water. Very scary.

OK....not very reassuring that a "leading shark expert" thinks OBX beaches where attacks have happened should be closed. On the other hand, that kinda sort of means closing all of the Hatteras seashore, since the affected beaches are pretty close to one another with a scattering of others along the way....Salvo, Frisco, etc.

How are you feeling about going there, Trident? I'm more worried about the weather. Calling for rain everyday next week. Umm. Are sharks any more likely to attack in rainy weather?

How do I feel about going there? Well, on one hand this situation is shaping up like JAWS - scientist wants to close beaches, officials ain't buyin' it on a big holiday weekend, and plenty of people will be on the beaches. It almost sounds like an open invite to another attack. When I see the boats push off carrying men with guns, I'll know we're really in trouble.

On the other hand, the rainy weather isn't that appealing either, being cooped up with 6 grandkiddies and 2 yappy little dogs in a beautiful rented house ain't exactly my idea of heaven. I'm going to bring a deck of cards and teach the kiddies to play poker with their allowance money. There's more than one kind of shark on that beach, LOL.

I intend poking my toes in the water, and maybe if I get real brave, I'll wet my ankles. The rest of the time I'm sitting by the pool, or a quiet corner of the house with my laptop. I WILL have a good time, come hell, rainy weather, or sharks.

How do I feel about going there? Well, on one hand this situation is shaping up like JAWS - scientist wants to close beaches, officials ain't buyin' it on a big holiday weekend, and plenty of people will be on the beaches. It almost sounds like an open invite to another attack. When I see the boats push off carrying men with guns, I'll know we're really in trouble.

On the other hand, the rainy weather isn't that appealing either, being cooped up with 6 grandkiddies and 2 yappy little dogs in a beautiful rented house ain't exactly my idea of heaven. I'm going to bring a deck of cards and teach the kiddies to play poker with their allowance money. There's more than one kind of shark on that beach, LOL.

I intend poking my toes in the water, and maybe if I get real brave, I'll wet my ankles. The rest of the time I'm sitting by the pool, or a quiet corner of the house with my laptop. I WILL have a good time, come hell, rainy weather, or sharks.

LOL about the other kind of shark. Have a great trip!

I'm still going too and plan on enjoying myself no matter what. BUT......if you hear about a shark attack on a bedraggled grandmom sans any kids who was camping in the rain at Frisco, you'll know who was attacked and why I'm not posting on WS anymore. :D

LOL about the other kind of shark. Have a great trip!

I'm still going too and plan on enjoying myself no matter what. BUT......if you hear about a shark attack on a bedraggled grandmom sans any kids who was camping in the rain at Frisco, you'll know who was attacked and why I'm not posting on WS anymore. :D

Have a GREAT time and stay safe.

LMAO

Great idea on the poker lesson. Win and take a little bit of their money and teach them a real life lesson in the process. :)

Did this in Punta Cana. It was awesome yet a bit unnerving at the end as the sharks sense your motion and begin to rise until swimming right beneath you. Close enough to stare in that lifeless eye. Apparently Nurse sharks dont eat people people but we sure had to sign lengthy waivers LOL
http://puntacanatours.com/marinarium-snorkeling-cruise/

I told my hubby yesterday that I would love to be at the town meeting in one of these small communities just to hear Quint's fingernails on that chalkboard!!

Did this in Punta Cana. It was awesome yet a bit unnerving at the end as the sharks sense your motion and begin to rise until swimming right beneath you. Close enough to stare in that lifeless eye. Apparently Nurse sharks dont eat people people but we sure had to sign lengthy waivers LOL
http://puntacanatours.com/marinarium-snorkeling-cruise/
I read about this excursion, passing though. I'm a chicken shirt. I was fishing in the gulf if Mexico about 22 years ago. It was my first time fishing. DH was pizzed because I kept catching fish (grouper) when he wasn't. I agreed to swap spots and poles with the little crybaby. Five minutes later I had a nurse shark on my line. Damned near ripped my arm out with the force of the tug. Lol. Bragging rights to this day. And hubby won't take me in his fish trips. Also, that afternoon a few of our group went in the ocean for a dip against the captains advice (about sharks) I watched from the boat. Sure enough, we spotted 2 6 or 7 ft sharks in the water. I learned that day that my husband can walk on water with the best of em. Sharks ain't no joke. This is their buffet, we need to remember it.

I read somewhere that they were going to release JAWS nationwide for the upcoming 40th (I think) anniversary.

Trident...(if you are online while there)....looks like the N Park Service is reporting more shark attacks/encounters than has been made widely known....from Kitty Hawk all the way down to Okracoke.

OBX papers also have reports from fisherman (offshore, I think) saying most of the big fish they're pulling in have literally been chewed in half by sharks. Not some fish....MOST. (eek).

One additional helpful shark -avoidance tip I just read about:

Increase in NC shark attacks may be linked to increase in bait fish, and to bait fish coming closer to shore (changes in water salinity and temps ).

Sharks are following the fish, so look for schools of baitfish. Can't see the fish themselves, but if you see a large number of gulls diving in the same small area, DON'T GO IN THE WATER!!!

Ugh. Heading there tomorrow. At least the weather report is improving.

I hope there will be warnings posted everywhere on the Banks. I don't think they will though. I feel like its a matter of time now before tragedy strikes and someone dies. This thread has me missing my trips to the Outer Banks when my kids were little. With a stop at Diggers Dungeon on the way, go Gravedigger!!!!! Prayers of safety for all of the Holiday Makers in those areas. Hopefully this thread stops growing.

This is shark week television wise. Not sure the timing is great given all these attacks. I have also hear dawn and dusk are not great times to be in the water. High feeding times. No link it was on television.

I read about this excursion, passing though. I'm a chicken shirt. I was fishing in the gulf if Mexico about 22 years ago. It was my first time fishing. DH was pizzed because I kept catching fish (grouper) when he wasn't. I agreed to swap spots and poles with the little crybaby. Five minutes later I had a nurse shark on my line. Damned near ripped my arm out with the force of the tug. Lol. Bragging rights to this day. And hubby won't take me in his fish trips. Also, that afternoon a few of our group went in the ocean for a dip against the captains advice (about sharks) I watched from the boat. Sure enough, we spotted 2 6 or 7 ft sharks in the water. I learned that day that my husband can walk on water with the best of em. Sharks ain't no joke. This is their buffet, we need to remember it.

Absolute bragging right!!! Well the one's we swam with were not little. Around 8 feet. I would freak catching one but for some reason we were comfortable in a controlled enviroment. Felt controlled anyway LOL I have completed my bucket list so wont be doing that again LOL

Absolute bragging right!!! Well the one's we swam with were not little. Around 8 feet. I would freak catching one but for some reason we were comfortable in a controlled enviroment. Felt controlled anyway LOL I have completed my bucket list so wont be doing that again LOL
Swimming with the sharks, THATS bragging rights! I hope you got some great pictures! You should change your name to Brave-o!!
At the Atlantis aquarium here on long island they had a shark cage encounter for $$$$. I couldn't imagine paying to get in a cage and be lowered into a shark tank. But really, I am such a sissy about everything.

Swimming with the sharks, THATS bragging rights! I hope you got some great pictures! You should change your name to Brave-o!!
At the Atlantis aquarium here on long island they had a shark cage encounter for $$$$. I couldn't imagine paying to get in a cage and be lowered into a shark tank. But really, I am such a sissy about everything.

LOL or maybe nutso. Not a sissy everbody has their fears. Sharks fascinate me so it was an up close and personal experience. Long Island u say? We have friends we visit in Massapequa. Excuse spelling my spell check is gondy here? I hate relying on it but since everything is typed today I have lost many of my spelling skills. No your the Brave-O in my book.

LOL or maybe nutso. Not a sissy everbody has their fears. Sharks fascinate me so it was an up close and personal experience. Long Island u say? We have friends we visit in Massapequa. Excuse spelling my spell check is gondy here? I hate relying on it but since everything is typed today I have lost many of my spelling skills. No your the Brave-O in my book.
Massapequa right next door! I'm in Wantagh. Heard there was a great white sighted off Long Island this spring! Maybe I will see it from the safety of my beach chair tomorrow. I will report back if I do, lol.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998