NC - Baby found buried in back yard believed dead since thanksgiving

YaYa_521

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
SBM
“Because where the child was buried at, there was a lawnmower that sat there for a long time, and it was a nice lawnmower, but it never moved, we just figured something was wrong with it and it was just sitting there,” one neighbor said. “Now, the lawnmower moves in the last month or so, and this child is discovered.”
# More at link

286473278_411998607481697_9054463832547985313_n.jpg

Dustin VanDyke's FB cover photo.

Gracie Riddle FB - June 2018
Gracie Riddle FB - Dec 2018

Allabouttrial

Reaction score

All in the family
From above link.

Police said a family member tipped them off around 9 p.m. Friday. Police said they have reason to believe the family member knew about the ordeal and waited to report it.

"I think this person just finally got to the point to where their conscience got to them and they decided they needed to talk about it and tell someone and that's how we initially got the report," Erwin Police Chief Jonathan Johnson said.

Johnson said it appears the child was alive at birth. He couldn't expand when asked if the child was buried alive, adding that it was an active investigation.

Police were able to get a search warrant on property and with use of a cadaver K-9, they located the infant in the backyard.

The death does not appear to be accidental, according to police. The gender and age of the child is unknown at this time.

Police are waiting on an autopsy for the cause of death.

ashhouston

Reaction score
just sick hope they both get life. for some reason people forget that babies are humans and the mother gets 10 years its strange our justice system treats women like they can't be psycopaths clearly they are and can be the only difference between male serial killers and women is that woman give birth to the victims.

YaYa_521

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
so the child's mother is 18 and the child's father is her older adult male cousin, age 28. Presumably this relationship of theirs began prior to her becoming an adult. uggh. no wonder mom looks so young. Curious to know at what point they became a couple. Hate these stupid cases. Hate them. RIP little one.

A North Carolina couple accused of killing their baby and burying its remains in the backyard are cousins, according to a family member.

Dustin James VanDyke, 28, and Gracie Kaylene Riddle, 18, allegedly “panicked” when they realized she was pregnant, and the child was delivered alive, local NBC affiliate WRAL reported.
‘Panicked’ Cousins Accused of Burying Their Dead Baby in Backyard

Laughing

Rarely Speechless
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that these two could be 4th or 5th cousins. Media may tell us?

Maybe it's just me, but I have some cousins, fairly close, holiday gatherings, etc, and our common ancestors never left Ireland.

We don't have children together, no, not close like that....

jmho ymmv lrr

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
Please keep in mind that these two could be 4th or 5th cousins. Media may tell us?

Maybe it's just me, but I have some cousins, fairly close, holiday gatherings, etc, and our common ancestors never left Ireland.

We don't have children together, no, not close like that....

jmho ymmv lrr
agreed. I'm less concerned about the possible familial relationship and more concerned about how old mom was when older male began being a "couple" with her.

MsBetsy

Reaction score
agreed. I'm less concerned about the possible familial relationship and more concerned about how old mom was when older male began being a "couple" with her.
Since the baby was born in November last year, there's a good chance she was a minor. It's not illegal for first cousins to marry so initially I thought she was underage, but the age of consent might be 16 or 17. I'm not sure exactly why they panicked when they found out she was pregnant. Maybe their family didn't know about the relationship or it began when she was underage.