Found Deceased NC - Devin Clark, 18, Lyric Woods, 14, found murdered after going missing in Alamance Co., 16 Sep 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devin's mother has hired a lawyer, and they were on the news, stating that she still has not been able to personally identify her son yet, though Lyric's family did, implying there is something being covered up or otherwise hinky. I certainly understand why the mother would feel this way, and as a parent, my heart breaks for her. But my thoughts are that LE do not normally use family members to identify persons who have been brutally murdered. If the neighbor is correct, it sounds like the two teens may have been shot 10-15 times. If any, or several of them had been bullets to the face or head, I think LE was doing her a favor by not allowing her to identify him. That is why they use DNA and dental records. I think the only reason Lyric was personally identified is bc her grandfather was one of the first responders who answered the call that discovered her, and he was able to identify her. And my guess is that he wishes he had not seen her the way he most likely found her. Once the bodies have been released, and a mortician has worked with them, hopefully they will be presentable enough that the grieving mothers and families can see and say goodbye to their children. JMO
Is the identity of the victim in question in any way? I guess grief takes many forms. My heart bleeds for his family.

Here’s another question. Sheriff Blackwood thanked the FBI in the press release about issuing the juvenile petition. I’m not well-versed in all the details of FBI involvement. I can see the local authorities seeking FBI assistance, but does the FBI only get involved if a crime violates a federal statute? Homicide is not a federal crime, but I know they’ll get involved if there was a kidnapping, etc that crosses state lines. Hoping someone with more knowledge can enlighten me!
In my experience, the FBI seems to be one of the first calls by local authorities when minors are involved. Also, they have excellent resources when it comes to phones, SM, and IT technology.

Violent Crimes Against Children | Federal Bureau of Investigation

Woods’ stepfather told investigators that it is believed that Woods left the home through the back door. A neighbor told investigators that they saw a car around 3 am Saturday, coming down the road.

According to the sheriff's office, family members reported Woods missing Saturday afternoon and a deputy entered the information in the National Crime Information Center index (NCIC) around 3:44 pm. The family said they went to sleep Friday night with the back door of the home locked; when they woke up Saturday the back door had been unlocked with no evidence of a forced entry.

National Crime Information Center (NCIC)

From your link, it seems like the FBI gets very involved with child abduction cases. Maybe local authorities called when it was being treated as a missing persons investigation.
Also, given the victims were shot possibly multiple times, it's possible the FBI was already working on a local case and the FBI came in to determine if the cases could be related.

It was heartbreaking to hear the witness's account of what sounded like an AR weapon. :(

According to the sheriff's office, family members reported Woods missing Saturday afternoon and a deputy entered the information in the National Crime Information Center index (NCIC) around 3:44 pm. The family said they went to sleep Friday night with the back door of the home locked; when they woke up Saturday the back door had been unlocked with no evidence of a forced entry.

National Crime Information Center (NCIC)

Also Clark:
Clark's family contacted the Mebane Police Department on Sunday with concerns about his whereabouts. An officer entered him into NCIC at approximately 1:42 pm.

I just reread this article and giving 4s up is something they did for Devin as his football number was 4 also why his nickname is deuces x 2. I know someone has posted a picture in this thread and referenced gang signs, I know that often means WEST SIDE here in AZ but it may have been something as innocent as his football number. It seems he had quite a promising career as a football player at his school.

I just reread this article and giving 4s up is something they did for Devin as his football number was 4 also why his nickname is deuces x 2. I know someone has posted a picture in this thread and referenced gang signs, I know that often means WEST SIDE here in AZ but it may have been something as innocent as his football number. It seems he had quite a promising career as a football player at his school.
Totally. Thank you for this.

Devin's mother has hired a lawyer, and they were on the news, stating that she still has not been able to personally identify her son yet, though Lyric's family did, implying there is something being covered up or otherwise hinky. I certainly understand why the mother would feel this way, and as a parent, my heart breaks for her. But my thoughts are that LE do not normally use family members to identify persons who have been brutally murdered. If the neighbor is correct, it sounds like the two teens may have been shot 10-15 times. If any, or several of them had been bullets to the face or head, I think LE was doing her a favor by not allowing her to identify him. That is why they use DNA and dental records. I think the only reason Lyric was personally identified is bc her grandfather was one of the first responders who answered the call that discovered her, and he was able to identify her. And my guess is that he wishes he had not seen her the way he most likely found her. Once the bodies have been released, and a mortician has worked with them, hopefully they will be presentable enough that the grieving mothers and families can see and say goodbye to their children. JMO
Could it also be that she was a juvenile and he was an adult at the time of identification? I’m not sure if an adult needs to be formally identified by a family member, or whether than can be done by photo by any other adult. It may be that they didn’t legally need a family identification for him? I’m sure they do need that for a deceased juvenile.

Fourteen years old, and lost in a hail of bullets. And just eighteen. This just makes me so sad, and I cannot imagine how broken their families must feel. Like many of you, I think this is either a love triangle, or could be a substance scenario.

I joined WS for the horrifically confounding Abby and Libby case, but have only recently been reading the forums again. How and how, again and again? Come on, humanity.

The second video (reporter Chelsey Donovan) on the WRAL news link includes statements by LE on ME identifying the bodies of the teens and also contradicts Tiffany C's (Devin's mother) earlier account that the victims were unknown to each other.

The second video (reporter Chelsey Donovan) on the WRAL news link includes statements by LE on ME identifying the bodies of the teens and also contradicts Tiffany C's (Devin's mother) earlier account that the victims were unknown to each other.
I am not sure a lot of parents know all their kids friends, plus she is under stress, she probably never met lyric.

I watched an interview with Devin’s Mama and she stated that Lyric and Devin were friends. She sort of stumbled a little saying it.

MOO
IMO
I’m not implying that either of these kids are involved with gangs, but throwing out the possibility that they could be victims of gangs activity.

Alamance County is one of the counties with the highest number of gangs…40ish, depends on who you ask. Guilford County (Greensboro) to the West and Durham County, to the East are included not surprisingly because they’re along the I85/I40 corridor. The gangs have different initiations, some members have to be jumped in and some gangs have much more nefarious initiations for the prospective members to prove their worth.

I live in the area and I know Durham has their own Gang Task Force, but there is at least one gang that they won’t “work”, they immediately turn it over to Feds.

I’m still wondering if this case may be related to a similar case in the area

MOO
IMO

I watched an interview with Devin’s Mama and she stated that Lyric and Devin were friends. She sort of stumbled a little saying it.

MOO
IMO
I’m not implying that either of these kids are involved with gangs, but throwing out the possibility that they could be victims of gangs activity.

Alamance County is one of the counties with the highest number of gangs…40ish, depends on who you ask. Guilford County (Greensboro) to the West and Durham County, to the East are included not surprisingly because they’re along the I85/I40 corridor. The gangs have different initiations, some members have to be jumped in and some gangs have much more nefarious initiations for the prospective members to prove their worth.

I live in the area and I know Durham has their own Gang Task Force, but there is at least one gang that they won’t “work”, they immediately turn it over to Feds.

I’m still wondering if this case may be related to a similar case in the area

MOO
IMO

If it is gang-related, that might explain why they’re having trouble apprehending the suspect. I feel like the other members would go to great lengths to conceal another member.

People on social media are posting messages that they are worried the suspect is sitting in class with their kids…pretty sure that LE would swoop in and take the kid into custody if he were going about his normal business!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMR0715