NC - Dorian Harper & Wanda Larson for abuse of foster child, Monroe, 2013

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Yoda, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Yoda

Yoda Master

2. Loading...

3. Yoda

Yoda Master

4. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

I was just reading about this!

WBTV News ‏@WBTV_News 11m
    Deputies: DSS worker arrested after child handcuffed to front porch of home with a dead chicken tied around his neck http://bit.ly/1gSMw37

Catherine Bilkey ‏@CBilkey9 4m
    child protective services supervisor arrested for child abuse-after an officer found an 11 yrold handcuffed to porch @11 @WSOC_TV #CRAZY

Catherine Bilkey ‏@CBilkey9 43s
    Union County Sheriff's Office calling this case #shocking! They're proud of officer that discovered alleged #childabuse @WSOC_TV

5. Tawny

Tawny Bye

6. Jan

Jan New Member

That is terrible! Those are people we should be able to trust. How disgusting that they were allowed to adopt 4 children and to have the 5th as a foster child. It appears even their pets were poorly cared for, not to mention the poor chicken. How in the world did the woman get a job as supervisor at social services?

7. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

8. nightwatch

nightwatch Active Member

This story is chilling. hopefully this couple will get the maximum punishment and not be allowed any plea deals. When the person in charge of child protection has child abuse in their home what the he--? Moo

Ciao

9. tiredblondy

tiredblondy New Member

Let's hope she doesn't keep her job!!!

10. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

She got an award for helping child abuse victims!!!!

The Violence Prevention Taskforce of Union County, NC hosted the 1st Annual Prevention and Intervention Service Awards Luncheon at the Union Agricultural Center on October 28th.

The Taskforce awarded 11 individuals for their tireless efforts helping victims of child maltreatment, domestic violence, and sexual assault.

snipped

This year’s recipients were:

snipped

Wanda Sue Larson, Department of Social Services

http://monroescoop.com/11-individuals-awarded-by-the-violence-prevention-task-force-of-union-county/

article has her picture

[​IMG]

11. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

Diana Rugg ‏@DianaRuggOnTV 15m
    Sheriff's capt says chicken's feet were tied with string, then chicken was hung around 11 y/o's neck in Union Co abuse case #cltnews

Diana Rugg ‏@DianaRuggOnTV 26m
    Union Co magistrate apparently unaware arrest warrants are public record; refuses to release them in child abuse case #cltnews

12. buffetoflies

buffetoflies Active Member

She should be stripped of that award.
    And it looks like Union county is trying to cover up for her! Disgusting.

13. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

14. Yoda

Yoda Master

15. nightwatch

nightwatch Active Member

I have a few words but I don't want to lose my posting privileges. I wonder what the other children have to say. Cps should go back and take a hard look at any case this woman worked on. Moo

Ciao

16. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

"We're very familiar with [Wanda Sue Larson]," Cathey told CNN. "My agents have worked with her often. She handles a lot of the social services cases out here throughout all of Union County. We're shocked."

When asked about Larson's arrest, Brett Vines, public information officer for Union County, told HLN, "We can't comment as the incident is under investigation."

snipped

The boy on the porch appears to be the only one of the children to be neglected, said Cathey. "The five children all will undergo medical evaluations to determine if they were mistreated."

"The 11-year-old, we believe, had been handcuffed there in the morning time," the sheriff said. "We learned that this particular child is handcuffed pretty regularly. It's unclear if the other children received similar discipline."

snipped

The child was secured to the front porch at the ankle by what appeared to be a pair of handcuffs, according to the Union County Sheriff's Office. A dead chicken hung around his neck.

snipped

The four adopted children were found to be in good condition, said sheriff's Capt. Ronnie Whitaker. Two are siblings. The boy on the porch is not related to the others, officials said.

All of the children are home schooled, authorities said. Cathey said Harper and Larson claim to be married, but that has not been confirmed.

snipped

Authorities have no previous records of calls to the home, according to Whitaker.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/11/16/dead-chicken-porch-social-worker-arrested-child-abuse

17. Flinders

Flinders New Member

Hello from Australia. :seeya: This is awful in so much as they reported that the chicken was dead... At least he didn't have a live chicken?? Now, I have looked on the main article in the media and there are many comments on why they were in a responsible position and never were 'checked' or 'audited'.

Their cover might have been this... I have an acquaintance (respected with a degree in teaching) who has a foster child from a bad background. She sometimes has to work later than usual and someone offered to babysit. Apparently, you cannot babysit or look after a child (in care from a bad background) unless you have been assessed by multiply agencies.

Basically, I think they were covering their money grabbing backsides by saying... you have to approved to be here. Thank goodness for the neighbours.

Moo

eta I didn't offer to babysit but my female acquaintance thought she could gain kudos to babysit (she wanted a job as a teacher assistant), even if it was 10 minutes after school. The foster mother told everyone that because you are not 'authorised' you cannot be with her. That is the sad thing here. Kids from a sad background are kept away by those that aren't authorised...

18. scmom

scmom New Member

Maybe these two "parents" could benefit from some parenting classes when they get to prison. I'm sure Elisa Baker could give them some pointers on homeschooling also.

19. Flinders

Flinders New Member

Oh my goodness... They adopted, fostered and home schooled kids that would be denied ties to their family (as per their background) and the school community as well. These kids were isolated.

Parenting classes in prison?? Sorry, I don't think we have this in Australia. I think parenting is useless to oldish people in a respected position of child protection. As I said, their recommendation would give other foster parents kudos.

Moo

20. scmom

scmom New Member

There really are parenting classes in prison, but of course I really doubt it would help either of these people. I hate to think what damage people like these can do and maybe have done to others that we don't know about.

21. hambirg

hambirg New Member

Why do I cringe every time I see this. . ."All of the children are home schooled" ???? :shudder: