NC - Fort Bragg Spc. Enrique Roman-Martinez, 21, Cape Lookout, 23 May 2020 *severed head washed ashore*

I seriously doubt there's anything related about the deaths at Fort Bragg. There are about the same number of people there as in my city and there are deaths that are investigated here with about the same frequency as there. If 90% off the population were between 20 and 50 years old like at a military base it would probably be higher.

I think what we're seeing especially in this case is just military thinking. Those people camping on the island are brothers in arms and they're not going to willingly testify against one another. Then at the bureaucratic level, the military at large is going to try to minimize the sensationalism of the story as much as they possibly can. Sadly I think it's pretty likely there will never be an official public accounting of what happened.
I can under the brother in arms, but one brother is dead, time to be a true brother in arms!!!

Fort Bragg Soldier Who Went Missing Over Memorial Day Weekend was Decapitated in Homicide

Additional link

When they called 911 at around 7 p.m. on May 23, the group of soldiers camping with Roman-Martinez told the dispatcher they feared he had gotten up in the middle of the night and had possibly hurt himself.

“When we woke up, he was not here and we’ve been looking for him all day,” the unidentified caller said, according to a 911 call recording obtained by the Army Times. “We were trying to find a Park Ranger or their offices, or anything, and so we went all the way to the ferry and found that we needed to dial 911.”

JMO..but not buying it...

I can under the brother in arms, but one brother is dead, time to be a true brother in arms!!!
That's not how it works. In their philosophy, he's dead and ruining one or all of their lives won't change that. Like is finally happening at Ft Hood, someone will only go down for it if there is enough outside pressure that someone HAS TO go down for it and even then, their internal decision on who shoulders the blame may well not accurately reflect the facts of the specific case.

This is Ft Bragg though and it hasn't gotten the same amount of scrutiny. I truly believe that Enrique's death was an accident. Sure, there were probably extenuating circumstances and peer pressure involved that many civilians might be quick to use to shift blame and without being too gruesome, the condition of the body in this case may be a result of a military style "we all are responsible" pact action. Different cultures and different kinds of consequences for mistakes.

Dive teams, special agents return to Outer Banks in case of slain paratrooper

Army Criminal Investigation Command agents and members of the FBI’s Evidence Recovery and Dive Teams are currently conducting searches near the Cape Lookout National Seashore in North Carolina as part of the investigation into the death of Spc. Enrique Roman-Martinez.

Few details were provided Thursday about what caused Army CID agents and FBI personnel to return to the Cape Lookout area. Other 82nd Airborne Division troops are also supporting the effort, according to the unit.

Dive teams scour Outer Banks for clues in killing of Fort Bragg paratrooper

Enrique Roman-Martinez case: Divers scour NC coast for clues in killing of soldier from Chino who was decapitated

Dive teams are searching along the Outer Banks off the shores of North Carolina for evidence in the killing of a Fort Bragg paratrooper from Chino who was decapitated, officials said.

Special agents from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command along with FBI Evidence Recovery and Dive Teams are working in the area to try and gather clues to help in the homicide investigation, the 82nd Airborne Division said Thursday.

Hi everyone - first time poster here because of this case. I am very familiar with this area and cannot get this incident out of my head. I was there just a few weeks before the homicide and returned to the jetty area of Cape Lookout just a few weeks ago (with a few more trips in between). The area where this happened is VERY remote and the ocean waters are incredibly turbulent. I have been thinking a lot about what they could have possibly been looking for in the water with an FBI dive boat. I've seen some posts from locals and it was originally billed as a "training exercise" (on the Cape Lookout National Seashore FB page), but it didn't take long for everyone to start putting two and two together. The only way over to this area of Cape Lookout is by passenger ferry, vehicle ferry, or private vessel. Assuming they had at least the one Jeep at least some in the party would have taken the vehicle ferry over. There are three vehicle ferries, two services in total (private ferry - but national park concessioners). These ferry services generally don't collect passenger names; they'll collect the name of the person paying the bill (you could say your name is Walter Smith and they wouldn't care) and you can pay cash or card. I assume the military knows exactly who was there, but just wanted to throw that context out there. I'm not sure that any of this info is helpful, but wanted to put it out there. I REALLY REALLY hope that justice can be served this man and his family.

Seth Harp article in Rolling Stone

At least 44 Fort Bragg soldiers died stateside in 2020 — several of them were homicides. Families want answers. But the Army isn’t giving any

April 2021

Anyone have a subscription. I don't :(

The Fort Bragg Murders

I don’t have a subscription either but the article appears to be something I’d like to read. So terribly sad, all these incidents involving our soldiers.

I also stumbled upon that article a few days ago and read some of it. I didn't need a subscription. What I gleaned is that there are major issues on military bases involving narcotics distribution and violence. PTSD may play a role. Some of what's going on is similar to the violence in places like south Chicago. There are people being killed right and left. Some may be killed for talking. Some may be disputes over territory, attempts to rob people of drugs or money. And where you have a lot of drug and alcohol use, you're going to have violence. It may be time to rethink how the military works and to invest more money into the mental health of soldiers. I would say that drug testing needs to be more prevalent, too.

The Fort Bragg Murders

Below is the section of text that mentions Enrique from the article:

“The deaths began in January 2020, when a 19-year-old Texan’s body was discovered in his bunk in an advanced state of decomposition; the Army has not disclosed the cause, and one year later, the investigation remains ongoing. The same is true in the case of a young Ohioan, a Green Beret candidate, who in March was found “unresponsive” in his barracks. In late May, a 21-year-old enlisted man from California was killed — beheaded, in fact — while on a camping trip with six of his fellow paratroopers; once again, no arrests have been made in the case. In November, yet another soldier, a 24-year-old Texan, was discovered “unresponsive” in his bunk, with no further details from the Army. By the end of the year, there had been 21 suicides at Fort Bragg, more than at any other U.S. military post.”

One year later, killing of Fort Bragg soldier remains unsolved

May 24 2021

Griselda Martinez remembers her mother's request and the Army recruiter's promise: Spc. Enrique Roman-Martinez would be kept safe barring any accidents or incidents on deployment.

Instead, he was reported missing May 23, 2020, at Cape Lookout National Seashore. His severed head washed ashore six days later.

Now, as the anniversary of his killing passes, Griselda Martinez said the questions still loom. Her brother's death was ruled a homicide yet no arrest has been made.

According to the autopsy report, Roman-Martinez's head was found with a "somewhat crescent-shaped, incised vs. chop wound" that was about 3/4 of an inch deep, and part up the cervical spine up to the 7th cervical vertebrae.

"While decapitation is, in and of itself, universally fatal, the remainder of the body, in this case, was not available for examination, and therefore potential causes of death involving the torso and extremities cannot be excluded," the autopsy report states.

The report notes that those camping with Roman Martinez provided no explanation of his death.

A spokesman for the Army Criminal Investigation Command would not comment for this story as to whether Roman-Martinez's other remains have been recovered.

Last edited:
Spokesperson: Investigation of paratrooper’s murder ongoing

A spokesperson for the U.S. Army 82nd Airborne Division said Monday there is no new information to release on the investigation into the murder of a paratrooper last May in Cape Lookout National Seashore.

However, he said the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command met last week for an update from the U.S. Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation team that is assisting the investigation.

Maj. Gen. Christopher Donahue, the commanding general of the 82nd Airborne at Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, where the paratrooper was stationed, last week published a tweet stating the investigation team continues to “leverage every resource available to find justice for Enrique. We will not stop in our pursuit.”

The reward for information leading to conviction of the person or persons responsible for the murder remains $25,000.

'It was such a brutal crime:' Autopsy report shows Fort Bragg soldier was decapitated

*warning, some details may be considered graphic

Spc. Enrique Roman-Martinez, 21, was killed in May 2020 while he was camping with fellow soldiers on an island at Cape Lookout National Seashore.

The autopsy report, which is from the Division of Forensic Pathology at East Carolina University's Brody School of Medicine, lists the cause of death as "homicide by undetermined means." It was digitally signed by Dr. Randall K. Falls Jr. on Nov. 4.

The autopsy examined a severed head, as neither the torso nor any extremities were available, according to the report. It showed evidence of multiple chop injuries, a broken jaw, cuts and a fractured cervical spine.

Roman-Martinez's sister, Griselda Martinez, said she and other members of his family first saw the autopsy report Thursday. She said it was difficult to read some of the details, including that her brother's eyes were missing and his hair had been pulled out.

Martinez said family members felt like they needed to read the report.

"Everything about this case doesn't make sense," she said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back