NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why doubtful? Can you elaborate?

Regarding whether it is allowable, I am pretty sure that Faith’s public social media is ok to discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't understand why this neighbor would be so mad 7 months later about her tweet...

Why doubtful? Can you elaborate?

Regarding whether it is allowable, I am pretty sure that Faith’s public social media is ok to discuss.

mostly reasons too subjective to mention (including as Simplestarz says, the time gap between the incident & crime seems stretched), but I just think police would’ve checked this angle out long ago. (I tend to assume the perp is someone un-investigated, and off police radar).

All this does make me wonder about one small matter though: many people think the bag-note ‘sounds’ like a female, in part because the word “jealous” seems more likely used by a female than a male — I agree that’s generally true for American males, BUT what about in Latin culture? — do male Latinos possibly use the word “jealous” more often/freely? Just wondering…

Webthrush said:
<snipped>...but I just think police would’ve checked this angle out long ago. (I tend to assume the perp is someone un-investigated, and off police radar).

Agreed, and I think this is a major problem with anyone with even a remotely obvious motive. It’s been 5 years, and I have to believe someone at the CHPD had this thought before I did and checked it out. As Simplestarz alluded to, this would be a stupid thing to stay mad about and kind of a bad motive, but given that LE has looked into people that never even knew Faith, I’d like to think they checked this out.

But... what if they haven’t? We tend to view them as having left no stone unturned, what with them talking to 2000 people and swabbing 750, but this is the same police department that didn’t talk to the Thrill guys for 6 whole months. That didn’t canvas the neighbors, didn’t search the woods. They clearly have overlooked things. So I don’t think we should necessarily rule something out just because we think there’s no way LE hasn’t thought of it.

mostly reasons too subjective to mention (including as Simplestarz says, the time gap between the incident & crime seems stretched), but I just think police would&#8217;ve checked this angle out long ago. (I tend to assume the perp is someone un-investigated, and off police radar).

All this does make me wonder about one small matter though: many people think the bag-note &#8216;sounds&#8217; like a female, in part because the word &#8220;jealous&#8221; seems more likely used by a female than a male &#8212; I agree that&#8217;s generally true for American males, BUT what about in Latin culture? &#8212; do male Latinos possibly use the word &#8220;jealous&#8221; more often/freely? Just wondering&#8230;

Is there any evidence for the idea that men use the word "jealous" less than women? I mean, it's not a word that I use very often, and this seems like one of those ideas that people have just taken on as truth without even really questioning whether it's true or not. Woman on woman violent crime is uncommon, so it seems like that would trump anything about a note that may or may not be true (and yes, if people insist, I'll spend time finding links to gender distributions of violent crime).

ETA (https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/wo.pdf)
14% of violent crimes are committed by women (or conversely, 86% by men)
11% of violent crimes are woman-on-woman
75% of those are simple assaults (female-committed violent crimes other than simple assault = 25%*14% = 3.4% of all violent crimes)
Murders committed by women = 1.3 per 100,000
Murders committed by men = 11.5 per 100,000
Per capita, there are 6xs more male offenders than female ones

The above numbers are probably not the most recent ones, but I would be willing to bet that the current stats are largely consistent, even if the absolute numbers are smaller (since the crime rate has been going down for three decades).

Would someone kindly explain to me how Websleuths defines "sleuthing"? I had a couple of posts deleted from the Michelle Young thread and I think it was because I identified the person I think is responsible for her death. But I'm not sure I understand the line between discussing a case and "sleuthing". For example, if I were to say that I believe this or that POI is responsible for killing Faith, would that be "sleuthing"? Why or why not? And if so, why is this inappropriate? Thanks.

Would someone kindly explain to me how Websleuths defines "sleuthing"? I had a couple of posts deleted from the Michelle Young thread and I think it was because I identified the person I think is responsible for her death. But I'm not sure I understand the line between discussing a case and "sleuthing". For example, if I were to say that I believe this or that POI is responsible for killing Faith, would that be "sleuthing"? Why or why not? And if so, why is this inappropriate? Thanks.
In general I think naming someone not named by LE/MSM is dicey ( likely to get deleted). I have even seen posts removed on other threads that used initials instead of the full name. It was easily inferred who was being discussed. Reason being, I think, any one person being accused of something on the internet can explode into a whole internet mob assassinating the character of that person. Until named by a "reputable" source it is off limits to suggest that any specific person is involved.

So while I don't think naming someone or even using their initials is necessarily "sleuthing" them as in digging into their information, it is significant to associate someone's name with a serious crime. Especially when their name is uncommon because the thread could come up as a top result when someone googles that name. To prevent innocent people from being wrongly accused, naming specific people is only really allowed when already named as a POI/suspect by MSM.

My understanding only.

OT - Please take a moment to read the latest help request from Tricia. You can see her note called "it is urgent now" under the Missing Persons Discussion forum. Here's a snip:

"You can donate at .com or use the email websleuthsdonations@gmail.com and you can donate thru PayPal.com or Google Wallet

This is URGENT!!!

There are bills coming up that are not going to be paid and that will start the awful domino effect that could lead to real trouble for Websleuths."

was Rosario known commonly as Rosy? Was this a nickname used by those close to her everyone? Who knew of her as Rosy opposed to Karena?

was Rosario known commonly as Rosy? Was this a nickname used by those close to her everyone? Who knew of her as Rosy opposed to Karena?

I don't think we really know the answer to that. In all the information we have access to, the only place "Rosie" shows up is in the pocket-dial transcript. There's nothing from friends referring to her that way; the couple of times Faith refers to her on Twitter, she calls her "Karena".

I watched the crime watch daily episode and they think they have a voice recording of the murder. whats everyone's thoughts?

[video=youtube;Ebt677COm8k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebt677COm8k[/video]

[video=youtube;7KXvNVP7VpA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KXvNVP7VpA[/video]
[video=youtube;iTCMjv_XsRg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTCMjv_XsRg[/video]
[video=youtube;_NwNpXy9-zI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NwNpXy9-zI[/video]

[video=youtube;C6JRMx_0ycI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6JRMx_0ycI[/video]

I watched the crime watch daily episode and they think they have a voice recording of the murder. whats everyone's thoughts?

Probably worth checking out the first thread on here. Most people think it's inaudible and heavily doctored.

My thought is no. The time stamp says it occurred when she was in the club, and all I hear is a bunch of din and people shouting to be heard over music. It does not at all sound to me like a recording of the crime.

My thought is no. The time stamp says it occurred when she was in the club, and all I hear is a bunch of din and people shouting to be heard over music. It does not at all sound to me like a recording of the crime.

And despite Arlo West's assertions to the contrary, the time stamp wasn't wrong.

As far as I am concerned, nothing can be gleaned from the voicemail.

It was definitely recorded while they were still at the club, and we know she was fine when she left the club. Anyone who claims they can understand anything from it is reaching, it is inaudible.

Bumping for Faith!
We will find justice for you!

I'm assuming this means that she was listed as "Karena" in Faith's phone as well?

I'm assuming this means that she was listed as "Karena" in Faith's phone as well?

We don't know. LE hasn't released any information about Faith's phone except the contents/times of some of the text messages sent that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998