NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I realize that my previous question is far too open-ended and vague, so I will just ask some more specific questions (please see below).

1) Who proposed to Faith soon before her murder? (I have heard rumors of it being AD (hometown bf), and Faith allegedly rejected him quite quickly; however, people have also reported that she was going to get back together with AD, so I'm a little unclear about their relationship & discussions re: their future.)
2) Where did Faith go when she left the library? That's always been an odd gap to me. Did she meet up with a male? Did they have a romantic relationship? Could this have resulted in the semen found on her body/clothes later?
3) What was TK's alibi the morning of the murder? And did his relative (uncle?) that he was living with confirm this (if he was in fact at home)? I understand TK's DNA didn't match alleged murder weapon, but doesn't mean he wasn't involved.
4) Why hasn't more been made of Micah Byrd, David Bell, Brandon Wright and the 4th person with them at Thrill? To my knowledge, some (if not all) of them didn't give DNA and DB was last person (aside from KR) to see Faith (to my knowledge). I know DB was dancing with Faith at the club, but still - he should've given DNA. Some of these ppl are also now lawyers. Also - Chris White (the former Thrill employee who was seen talking to the 4 ppl above on video when exiting); did he give DNA?
5) Jim Loftus (RR employee); did he give DNA? Apparently he's had some trouble with LE in the past. And per the case files he was also roommies w/ Chris White at one time.
6) Reginald (allegedly avoided cops in Gboro); was he texting Faith the night of the murder? If so, about what? Why haven't those been revealed when other texts have? I've heard that Reg was tight with Ty. Would like to know more...
7) CrimeTraveller reported that per the case files, JM, JB & Reg all gave DNA; I think this is accurate, but would love confirmation, if anyone knows.
8) There is a report that Marisol and KR actually arrived at Faith's apt at 10am (1 hour before the 911 call); do we have time stamp on what time KR called Marisol for a ride to cross reference this?
9) Reports say Marisol was at Thrill with Faith and KR; where did she go after? I'm raising my eyebrows at Marisol and will continue to until I know more. Plus, she has Latina background - she even sponsored several Latina centric mixers at UNC... Did she know Latino men? Most likely. (Looking at you Parabon Phenotype guy.)
10) I've heard that the deadbolt lock at the apartment could ONLY be locked & unlocked from inside & outside with a key (there was no "turn knob" from inside for deadbolt, hence the reason why key was left with Faith... otherwise she would have been locked in the apt had KR locked the door behind her upon exiting and taken key with her); has this type of lock been confirmed?
11) Gaspo at one point claimed the "door was ajar" at the crime scene; any more info on this?
12) Does anyone know the full name of the downstairs neighbor who heard the 3 thumps? I saw her first name was Joy but haven't seen last. Please DM me if you have more info as I'd like to look into.
13) Does anyone suspect the murder weapon was NOT the rum bottle? I tend to think it wasn't. Apparently JB was in possession of gun that he brought from Ohio. Getting pistol whipped would make a lot more sense as a murder weapon considering the autopsy. I still think the rum bottle was used, but it may not be the only weapon. I've also heard that KR got the rum bottle earlier in the day and there is a receipt to show that... but she was underage. Doesn't make sense unless she had a fake. Also - why take the Reisling bottle from the apt? Did they pull DNA off of it as well?
14) Lastly - for now, lol - did investigators work with Twitter, SnapChat, Gmaps, FB, etc. to access the data they collected on Faith's location? Could be very beneficial to know her exact timeline and where she stopped along her path... And I believe they were collecting location data even back in 2012.

Like I said, I am new to this site, but I am determined to help find answers. And I will do whatever I can to help out... And thank you all for everything you all have done on this site over the years keeping this case alive. I so respect each and every one of you all.

#Justice4Faith

Many municipal and fire codes no longer allow double cylinder deadbolt locks. The theory is that if there is a fire, or other emergency, someone could become trapped inside the building. So therefore, it is highly unlikely that FH's appartment complex would have such a lock on any of the appartment doors. You would usually only see a double cylinder deadbolt on a door that has a small window next to it. This would prevent an intruder from breaking the glass and reaching in to unlock the door.

FH's appartment would probably have a regular standard deadbolt lock; where a key would only be needed on the outside.

Many municipal and fire codes no longer allow double cylinder deadbolt locks. The theory is that if there is a fire, or other emergency, someone could become trapped inside the building. So therefore, it is highly unlikely that FH's appartment complex would have such a lock on any of the appartment doors. You would usually only see a double cylinder deadbolt on a door that has a small window next to it. This would prevent an intruder from breaking the glass and reaching in to unlock the door.

FH's appartment would probably have a regular standard deadbolt lock; where a key would only be needed on the outside.

Gotcha - that makes sense. Just wanted to ask, because I've heard that rumor re: the lock on a podcast, and wasn't sure if it was true or not since they recently had their lock changed... figured it may have just been a short term fix or something.

Actually, the more I think about it, I wonder who changed the lock? Did the complex have a maintenance person? Or was it a private company? I would love to know more about the type of lock installed and how many keys were given to KR/FH... there has to be a record of this somewhere... I'll do some digging.

Last edited:
Actually, I realize that my previous question is far too open-ended and vague, so I will just ask some more specific questions (please see below).

1) Who proposed to Faith soon before her murder? (I have heard rumors of it being AD (hometown bf), and Faith allegedly rejected him quite quickly; however, people have also reported that she was going to get back together with AD, so I'm a little unclear about their relationship & discussions re: their future.)
2) Where did Faith go when she left the library? That's always been an odd gap to me. Did she meet up with a male? Did they have a romantic relationship? Could this have resulted in the semen found on her body/clothes later?
3) What was TK's alibi the morning of the murder? And did his relative (uncle?) that he was living with confirm this (if he was in fact at home)? I understand TK's DNA didn't match alleged murder weapon, but doesn't mean he wasn't involved.
4) Why hasn't more been made of Micah Byrd, David Bell, Brandon Wright and the 4th person with them at Thrill? To my knowledge, some (if not all) of them didn't give DNA and DB was last person (aside from KR) to see Faith (to my knowledge). I know DB was dancing with Faith at the club, but still - he should've given DNA. Some of these ppl are also now lawyers. Also - Chris White (the former Thrill employee who was seen talking to the 4 ppl above on video when exiting); did he give DNA?
5) Jim Loftus (RR employee); did he give DNA? Apparently he's had some trouble with LE in the past. And per the case files he was also roommies w/ Chris White at one time.
6) Reginald (allegedly avoided cops in Gboro); was he texting Faith the night of the murder? If so, about what? Why haven't those been revealed when other texts have? I've heard that Reg was tight with Ty. Would like to know more...
7) CrimeTraveller reported that per the case files, JM, JB & Reg all gave DNA; I think this is accurate, but would love confirmation, if anyone knows.
8) There is a report that Marisol and KR actually arrived at Faith's apt at 10am (1 hour before the 911 call); do we have time stamp on what time KR called Marisol for a ride to cross reference this?
9) Reports say Marisol was at Thrill with Faith and KR; where did she go after? I'm raising my eyebrows at Marisol and will continue to until I know more. Plus, she has Latina background - she even sponsored several Latina centric mixers at UNC... Did she know Latino men? Most likely. (Looking at you Parabon Phenotype guy.)
10) I've heard that the deadbolt lock at the apartment could ONLY be locked & unlocked from inside & outside with a key (there was no "turn knob" from inside for deadbolt, hence the reason why key was left with Faith... otherwise she would have been locked in the apt had KR locked the door behind her upon exiting and taken key with her); has this type of lock been confirmed?
11) Gaspo at one point claimed the "door was ajar" at the crime scene; any more info on this?
12) Does anyone know the full name of the downstairs neighbor who heard the 3 thumps? I saw her first name was Joy but haven't seen last. Please DM me if you have more info as I'd like to look into.
13) Does anyone suspect the murder weapon was NOT the rum bottle? I tend to think it wasn't. Apparently JB was in possession of gun that he brought from Ohio. Getting pistol whipped would make a lot more sense as a murder weapon considering the autopsy. I still think the rum bottle was used, but it may not be the only weapon. I've also heard that KR got the rum bottle earlier in the day and there is a receipt to show that... but she was underage. Doesn't make sense unless she had a fake. Also - why take the Reisling bottle from the apt? Did they pull DNA off of it as well?
14) Lastly - for now, lol - did investigators work with Twitter, SnapChat, Gmaps, FB, etc. to access the data they collected on Faith's location? Could be very beneficial to know her exact timeline and where she stopped along her path... And I believe they were collecting location data even back in 2012.

Like I said, I am new to this site, but I am determined to help find answers. And I will do whatever I can to help out... And thank you all for everything you all have done on this site over the years keeping this case alive. I so respect each and every one of you all.

#Justice4Faith

My understanding is that police DID eventually get DNA from all of Faith’s known male acquaintances/contacts — the perp would seem to come from outside that circle, but still have some connection to Faith — police have tended to rule out a complete stranger (though I don’t entirely rule that out). Police got 100s of new ‘leads’ when the phenotypic picture was released, and haven’t said if they got DNA from all they wanted in that group, or if any of those leads were significant. Indeed, they’ve said very little of anything since the initial release of documents at the 2-yr. point that they were forced into; by now people’s knowledge and memories are compromised. So many opportunities lost.

There’s so much conflicting/confusing info about many of your questions that I won’t attempt any other answers (also some might involve violations of WS terms of service, not sure? — though folks can always DM you). Have long felt the case was dependent on a DNA match, but with the perp possibly dead or out-of-the-country by now, and with Parabon working only on decades-old, cold cases (not 7-yr. old cases) that could take quite awhile.

That 7th anniversary is rapidly approaching, maybe police will finally realize how much they’ve impeded the case with their lack of transparency or basic answers, and have something new to say… but seems doubtful.

Which of my questions contain conflicting/confusing info? I’m more than happy to clarify...

Which of my questions contain conflicting/confusing info? I’m more than happy to clarify...
no, I meant there is so much conflicting/confusing info in the public domain (press/podcasts/blogs etc.) about this crime that it will be difficult to give definitive answers to some of your questions.

I had recalled that this DNA is the same as that found on the murder weapon. If this is not right someone please correct me.

I had recalled that this DNA is the same as that found on the murder weapon. If this is not right someone please correct me.

Hey there, you are correct. This DNA did match the DNA on the murder weapon (still not convinced the rum bottle is actually the sole murder weapon). In terms of the semen, how do we know that this mystery male that FH may have visited when leaving the library was actually swabbed for DNA when we don’t even know their name? I know that everyone in her known circle was tested, but what if this guy was someone relatively new in her life? It just seems odd that Faith leaving the library for 1.5 hrs (don’t have timeline in front of me right now, but think 1.5 hrs is correct) was never really looked into. I’ve speculated that she may have gone to Ty’s house during this time, but he was cleared via his DNA, correct? Regardless, this information seems important to me. Maybe I’m making too much of it though.

Last edited:

#Justice4Faith
Wow! You have been doing your research. I suspect we’d have more answers to your questions if LE would stop pretending they will solve this and make everything they have public. Just moo.

....Have long felt the case was dependent on a DNA match, but with the perp possibly dead or out-of-the-country by now, and with Parabon working only on decades-old, cold cases (not 7-yr. old cases) that could take quite awhile.

I've been reluctant to add what I am about to add because I feel it might not "help" the case or be something positive, but I've been recently thinking of how we are waiting for a DNA match to turn up to break this case open, either from another crime or more likely from a LE person using a site like GEDmatch to reverse engineer a family tree. If the first scenario isn't likely to happen because this was a one shot crime of passion sort of thing, the second scenario is going to have to rely on DNA samples willingly submitted to sites like Ancestry or 23andme, and then uploaded to GEDmatch, which LE can then use. Unfortunately, the current data shows that the people most often submitting their DNA are Caucasians of European descent. That's not to say its all/only white people, but so far it's largely skewed to this demographic. As a Caucasian of western and central European descent myself, it just feels like a very "white person" thing to do, to get your DNA tested to see if there's any Italian or German in you, etc. I believe the sites I mentioned are aggressively trying to correct this now by promoting and marketing towards people with Latin or African heritage. My point in all of this is- if we believe the DNA is supposedly from a Latin American male, and people of Latin heritage are not submitting their DNA often enough or widely enough, it might be a LONG time before the case is cracked that way- until there is enough DNA data to build out family trees

I've been reluctant to add what I am about to add because I feel it might not "help" the case or be something positive, but I've been recently thinking of how we are waiting for a DNA match to turn up to break this case open, either from another crime or more likely from a LE person using a site like GEDmatch to reverse engineer a family tree. If the first scenario isn't likely to happen because this was a one shot crime of passion sort of thing, the second scenario is going to have to rely on DNA samples willingly submitted to sites like Ancestry or 23andme, and then uploaded to GEDmatch, which LE can then use. Unfortunately, the current data shows that the people most often submitting their DNA are Caucasians of European descent. That's not to say its all/only white people, but so far it's largely skewed to this demographic. As a Caucasian of western and central European descent myself, it just feels like a very "white person" thing to do, to get your DNA tested to see if there's any Italian or German in you, etc. I believe the sites I mentioned are aggressively trying to correct this now by promoting and marketing towards people with Latin or African heritage. My point in all of this is- if we believe the DNA is supposedly from a Latin American male, and people of Latin heritage are not submitting their DNA often enough or widely enough, it might be a LONG time before the case is cracked that way- until there is enough DNA data to build out family trees

Actually the bigger problem right now is probably that privacy concerns have made it more difficult for police to work with genetic banks. The default position is now that your data remains PRIVATE unless you specifically opt to give permission for LE to access it (that was not the case previously) — and even though most people say they WANT their information used to help solve crimes, few simply bother to go in and change the default setting — leaving companies like Parabon with a much smaller database to work with. In turn, Parabon (probably the largest of these sleuthing companies) is now only willing to take on certain cases, limiting themselves to “cold cases” usually 25 yrs. old or more — really limiting the likelihood that Faith’s case (which CHPD refuses to call a cold case) will be worked on anytime soon, unless/until the data banks once again become fully open for study.
You're right about the skewing, but it's still amazing how going back a number of generations one can still often find linkages... because in the end we are ALL eventually connected ;)

In reply to raiders444:

Most Latin American men will usually, & especially if they have Spanish or Portuguese surnames, have European ancestry & will likely have a Y Haplogroup such as R1b1, or RL-51. It would be rare, & generally from an isolated group such as the Huichol or Mayan or other un-assimilated indigenous groups, for them to have First Nations’ ancestry. Therefore a data base containing European Y Haplogroup shouldn’t be over-looked.
Still un-verified Ethno-Historian, Tony

Tom Gasparoli has now posted a 10-episode serial-style podcast on Faith's case here:
Pursuit / the podcast
I think the first 2 episodes start off a little slow (for those already very familiar with the case), but most all the subsequent episodes have nuggets of new information, and very interesting. Everyone will have different takeaways from it -- definitely parts I don't agree with, as well as parts I do, and newly intriguing bits as well... and of course verrrry timely with 7th anniversary of the unsolved crime approaching.

Tom Gasparoli has now posted a 10-episode serial-style podcast on Faith's case here:
Pursuit / the podcast
I think the first 2 episodes start off a little slow (for those already very familiar with the case), but most all the subsequent episodes have nuggets of new information, and very interesting. Everyone will have different takeaways from it -- definitely parts I don't agree with, as well as parts I do, and newly intriguing bits as well... and of course verrrry timely with 7th anniversary of the unsolved crime approaching.

I'll just go ahead and mention that probably the most interesting piece of new info for me in the podcasts comes past the 23 min. point of Episode #5 where mention is made of a suspicious champagne-colored Lexus SUV with a running board (GX470???) seen by a neighbor several times at Faith's apt. with an occupant who would seem angry or unhappy each time he visited the girls' apt. Perhaps police fully checked this individual out, but not clear if they ever did, and I've never heard about it before.
(also, worth mentioning that you hear more directly from Ty McNeil & Karena's downstairs neighbor in these episodes than in other podcasts, though Tom, like others, was unable to get interviews with Karena or Takoy Jones)

Incredibly, tomorrow marks the 7th anniversary of this vicious unsolved crime and the UNC college newspaper is out with this retrospective:
Keeping faith: Family and police grapple with Hedgepeth’s unsolved murder years later

Surprised the police have not come out with their usual annual statement thus far, almost as if they are admitting defeat after 7 years. I’ve lost count of how many podcasters have covered this case in the last year, but not a peep from law enforcement. :(
Also surprised no one here has commented on the Gasparoli podcast — it does take awhile to get through (10 separate episodes), but there are several points I thought folks might comment on. I previously brought up the mysterious Lexus SUV, but other people will no doubt find other bits of interest in this frustrating case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member