NC NC - Faith Hedgepeth, 19, UNC student, Chapel Hill, 7 Sep 2012 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading all the posts here and nearly caught up, but haven't seen anyone mention or ask a few questions thus far:

1) Was FH actually on her period at the time? We know a bloody tampon was found by her, but do we know it was hers AND whether it was being used as intended? (Was the blood tested from the tampon to confirm it was menstrual blood? Was the blood in the room tested against menstrual blood?)

2) Could the sexual assault have been attempted by or with the bloody alcohol bottle?

3) Could the presence of semen be from the perp masturbating over her? That could explain the semen on the other items (it got on their hands while masturbating, then cross contaminated from their hands to the pen/paper, etc)?

4) Could the DNA be unrelated entirely, but still in multiple places, because the perp recently hooked up with someone & got that person's semen on their hands (hand job?) If so, could explain the same DNA being on multiple places but matching up with no one (AND not being planted)

Pure speculation but I'm wondering if the presence of the used tampon could be a sign of frustration - FH may have tried to thwart a sex attack by telling them she's on her period & successfully stopped a rape (but enraged perp, who pulled it out of her in anger at some point? Then masturbated over her body?)

Just my immediate thoughts reading the evidence this far, and only chiming in to share my questions since I haven't seen anyone else ask them here. For whatever value they might have in stimulating conversation or whatever...

Reading all the posts here and nearly caught up, but haven't seen anyone mention or ask a few questions thus far:

2) Could the sexual assault have been attempted by or with the bloody alcohol bottle?

I watched a show recently that had a pathologist expert review the autopsy report. According to the expert he states it showed no trauma to the vagina both external and internal and no trauma to the cervix. Typically with any forceable sex act you would see some sort of trauma. However, that would align with your theory that she was on her period and therefore the perp chose not to have intercourse with her.

I watched a show recently that had a pathologist expert review the autopsy report. According to the expert he states it showed no trauma to the vagina both external and internal and no trauma to the cervix. Typically with any forceable sex act you would see some sort of trauma. However, that would align with your theory that she was on her period and therefore the perp chose not to have intercourse with her.

Yes, I've seen a few references to the autopsy report in that context, but I question whether that autopsy report is the full and complete version (it doesn't list TOD, for ex). I'm not saying anything definitively, but asking if possible, considering what we do know.

I also finally read an article posted earlier in thread 1 here (I think, maybe the current thread) by Native Hoop Magazine in Spring 2016, and saw it stated a few new details - including that FH was penetrated by the alcohol bottles.

Native Hoop Magazine Special Edition…

If the source of DNA could be explained by an earlier hook up by the actual perp (not necessarily visible, but still present semen from that hook up on the perp's hands) contaminating the few items the perp touched...it sounds like the perp could be female (with the note, & possible foreign object used)

Not suggesting it was a female or any female in particular - but that could open up an entire new direction.

Yes, I've seen a few references to the autopsy report in that context, but I question whether that autopsy report is the full and complete version (it doesn't list TOD, for ex). I'm not saying anything definitively, but asking if possible, considering what we do know.

I also finally read an article posted earlier in thread 1 here (I think, maybe the current thread) by Native Hoop Magazine in Spring 2016, and saw it stated a few new details - including that FH was penetrated by the alcohol bottles.

Native Hoop Magazine Special Edition…

If the source of DNA could be explained by an earlier hook up by the actual perp (not necessarily visible, but still present semen from that hook up on the perp's hands) contaminating the few items the perp touched...it sounds like the perp could be female (with the note, & possible foreign object used)

Not suggesting it was a female or any female in particular - but that could open up an entire new direction.

The thing is, since it was KR's apartment, her DNA would have been all over the apartment, so finding it on even the bag or the bottle would not necessarily arouse suspicion of her, and I have to believe that any known males that were in her circle of friends, as well as Faith's, would have had their DNA tested. It is so hard for me to believe that eight years later, this case still has not been solved. I cannot help but believe that somehow, the murderer has been interviewed, probably early on, and has somehow had his DNA tested and cleared through some fluke, and may never be charged, and very possibly may still be living in the area. JMO

I cannot help but believe that somehow, the murderer has been interviewed, probably early on, and has somehow had his DNA tested and cleared through some fluke, and may never be charged, and very possibly may still be living in the area. JMO

I feel the same way, that the actual perp has already been interviewed - and, they're not suspect because their DNA doesn't match the semen found on scene. I think there are a few scenarios explaining the DNA not matching (chimera having been mentioned already a few times here, and I think should get more attention in crime resolution given it not being that infrequent, or, the DNA being cross contamination from an earlier sex act involving the perp).

I'm hoping 2020 ends the polar opposite to how it began, and this is one of several cases getting some answers (& justice)

She was definitely a student at UNC. Karena and Faith were studying at the student library together just prior to going out. Karena was in NC to attend UNC, she’s from NJ.
FH also had been at Duke as a SEED ACS NC intern and high school student a couple of years earlier. So she likely had friends throughout the Triangle.

FH also had been at Duke as a SEED ACS NC intern and high school student a couple of years earlier. So she likely had friends throughout the Triangle.
Yeah, not debating that at all! I was just curious because I saw something saying Karena went to a different school in the area which would make Marisol’s comment about driving them both to campus that morning strange. In a very early article from the Daily Tarheel, it’s stated that Karena and Faith met freshman year at UNC but that’s the only article I can find that officially refers to Karena as a UNC student at some point.

Here is a link to the SEED internship info. FWIW this would have been a really sophisticated project in molecular biology for an undergraduate. At the time she did the research described in the poster (2009), Faith was a high school student.
43_02_November_2012.pdf

Yeah, not debating that at all! I was just curious because I saw something saying Karena went to a different school in the area which would make Marisol’s comment about driving them both to campus that morning strange. In a very early article from the Daily Tarheel, it’s stated that Karena and Faith met freshman year at UNC but that’s the only article I can find that officially refers to Karena as a UNC student at some point.
I think the same article (Oct 2014) also says "Rosario, Hedgepeth, and another student who is no longer at UNC moved to Glen Lennox...". While that doesn't explicitly state Rosario was still a UNC student, it implies she was by association. School affiliation is pretty important stuff for student reporters writing for other students. I think that if she went to any area school other than UNC, it would have been part of the story.

I think the same article (Oct 2014) also says "Rosario, Hedgepeth, and another student who is no longer at UNC moved to Glen Lennox...". While that doesn't explicitly state Rosario was still a UNC student, it implies she was by association. School affiliation is pretty important stuff for student reporters writing for other students. I think that if she went to any area school other than UNC, it would have been part of the story.

They, KR and Faith, had a third roommate at Glen Lennox. This third roommate was a student at UNC but then transferred back to their home state.

I’ve been bothered by this article for some time now. Eerily similar crime. Bus stations located near both victims. Don’t know how late they ran. I’m sure CHPD looked into it. Man charged in connection to Carrboro rape

Then the Parabon sketch was released (not relaxing ‍♀️). Double chills.

JMO
ETA: fix typo

Last edited:
I’ve been bothered by this article for some time now. Eerily similar crime. Bus stations located near both victims. Don’t know how late they ran. I’m sure CHPD looked into it. Man charged in connection to Carrboro rape

Then the Parabon sketch was relaxing. Double chills.

JMO
Wow. The similarity of crimes is indeed remarkable. But I don't know about bus stations. Maybe you meant bus stops? I don't think the bus runs all night there but I could be wrong. UNC also operates bus lines in CH/Carrboro for students.

I also can't find any evidence this person was ever convicted or served time for this crime according to the accessible state DPS records. Do you know more?

Wow. The similarity of crimes is indeed remarkable. But I don't know about bus stations. Maybe you meant bus stops? I don't think the bus runs all night there but I could be wrong. UNC also operates bus lines in CH/Carrboro for students.

I also can't find any evidence this person was ever convicted or served time for this crime according to the accessible state DPS records. Do you know more?

yes, he is out now. Probably went back to Guatemala. What are the chances an almost identical crime happens hours a part? Yes, I meant bus stops.

JMO

interesting... I'll note the address the perp lived at is listed as a 7-bedroom house (in Carrboro) so I suspect it was given over partially or wholly to renters, so possible that he had colleagues providing him with transportation, not needing a bus. Leaving an assault ~1 am. he would've had time to make it over to the Thrill nightclub with a friend and encounter the women before they left or even as they were leaving.

...I wasn't clear though, have you seen a photo of him that sent "chills" from similarity to the Parabon composite, or are you just reacting to the Latino connection. (I looked briefly and couldn't find a photo).

Lastly, CHPD & Carrboro PD do not always communicate as closely as one might think, but yeah, this seems like something that wouldn't have been missed.

interesting... I'll note the address the perp lived at is listed as a 7-bedroom house (in Carrboro) so I suspect it was given over partially or wholly to renters, so possible that he had colleagues providing him with transportation, not needing a bus. Leaving an assault ~1 am. he would've had time to make it over to the Thrill nightclub with a friend and encounter the women before they left or even as they were leaving.

...I wasn't clear though, have you seen a photo of him that sent "chills" from similarity to the Parabon composite, or are you just reacting to the Latino connection. (I looked briefly and couldn't find a photo).

Lastly, CHPD & Carrboro PD do not always communicate as closely as one might think, but yeah, this seems like something that wouldn't have been missed.

yes, I have seen a photo of him.

yes, he is out now. Probably went back to Guatemala. What are the chances an almost identical crime happens hours a part? Yes, I meant bus stops.
Not sure what you mean by "yes, he is out now". If he was ever convicted and served time in the NC state prison system, he'd be listed here regardless of whether his term was finished: NC DPS: Criminal Offender Searches

JMO
It would be hard to believe he wasn't considered a suspect given this story was originally published in print on the same page as, and right under, a front page story about a vigil for Faith Hedgepeth. https://dcr.lib.unc.edu/indexablecontent/uuid:e90c87a1-9c9c-4e7d-b85a-b92f847100c9

Also, I don't see why bus access is relevant unless there is information somewhere showing he couldn't drive or had no access to a car. The two locations would only be about 10 minutes drive apart from each other in early morning traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla