NC NC - Kyle Fleischmann, 24, Charlotte, 9 Nov 2007 - #2

I need to get caught up on this sad case. It's going to take me awhile to get through thread 1 and 2 but I just read the summary at Charley Project:
Kyle Fleischmann – The Charley Project

Could someone please tell me if there is anything major to know about the case that's not at Charley Project and what the main theories are - regarding why he left his jacket and debit card behind, why he was calling people in the middle of the night, and the major speculation?

Sorry, IMO not very effective if you want to get attention for a missing persons case...."Requires subscription and macOS 11.4 or higher."
Click 'Charade''s link and it takes you to the page. Then click on the 'Vanished Podcast' rather than the 'Listen on Apple Podcasts' link. Load all episodes with the link at the bottom of the page and Kyles is near the bottom, a March episode.....

Any updates on Kyle? I listened to the Vanished podcast and heard some updates about Fuel Pizza guys from his dad. Also someone recently posted on the FB page about a possible match.. homeless man in Washington who could only remember his name was Kyle. Really hoping for a safe return still :(

Any updates on Kyle? I listened to the Vanished podcast and heard some updates about Fuel Pizza guys from his dad. Also someone recently posted on the FB page about a possible match.. homeless man in Washington who could only remember his name was Kyle. Really hoping for a safe return still :(

The man in Washington wasn't him </3. No updates in the case.

What does everyone think happened to Kyle? His behavior the night he vanished was just really weird, even considering he was likely drunk. I think he was mugged and killed in a robbery. Perhaps he resisted or someone or a group really viciously just felt it better to leave no witnesses. Either he accepted a ride from the wrong people or he was wandering the streets of Charlotte away from the uptown area and ran into the wrong people and the worst time.

Why did he walk out of the bar abruptly without his cc and coat? Where was he during the unaccounted for time after he left the pizza shop and no calls were made from his phone? (about 3:00 to 3:30). What even was his plan when he decided to stay at the bar later after his friends left? Did he not even think how he might get home, that at that late hour, his friends/family would be sleeping? There was a hotel right next to the bar. The best option would have been to go there and ask the front desk to call a cab. Even when intoxicated, people can still make rational decisions. If he was so drunk, he couldn't think straight whatsoever, it's hard to see him not passing out in the middle of the street. Of course, he could have been harmed in such a way, but the chances are much higher his body is found in such a scenario.

It seems at least some of the phone calls he made were an attempt to get a ride home. Perhaps he hung up quickly because his battery was running low and was hoping someone would answer quickly. Some of the calls may have been made in distress.

I wonder if they ever traced where that dirt was taken too? It seems an eerie coincidence that his cell last pinged at that location, the dogs traced him there and then there is a smell of decomposition which goes away when some dirt is removed. It seems like that really should have been looked into.
I'm not surprised LE have no record of Mary's call...she eas reporting a bad smell so they probably directed her to call parks and recreation or something. Someone probably didn't make the connection and didn't take it further.
I don't think this is gang related or a random crime, it seems more personal somehow to hide a body.
Those guys he had an altercation with seem the most likely suspects I'd say. ?

Regarding the odd phonecalls. I'm wondering if they aren't odd at all.
Calls so short that they didn't even show on the dialled cellphone, no messages left and a call to his dad and dad's office, despite him knowing his dad was out of town and not at his office...I don't think he was seeking help or trying to get a ride home.
I think he just pocket dialled! However he was walking I'd say he was unknowingly calling his most recents and ending the call several times.

Just rough theories here, don't pin me down on details.

A construction site would be a "perfect" place to leave a body and I always thought this was an interesting angle.

Thinking about the bad odeur in the dirt again. The smell of a decomposing body is unmistakable (but maybe not for people who have never encountered this?) Not to mention insect activity. Would everybody, including people working at the site, have missed that? If it was reported through the official channels (I don't know what organisation to call in America with a problem like this) isn't it logical this was checked out? It could be a potential danger to the citizens's health. Or was the dirt already moved when they came checking?

I don't think an at random robbery or gang encounter happened. IMO these people wouldn't immediately bother to hide a body.

I can see a group of people doing something to him, f.i. because he was "after" a girl "belonging" to this group and things went out of hand. They would have a good reason to hide the body and would have, being with more people, the physical power to move the body. What's against it is that I don't see a group of people moving a body from A to B by walking down the streets. Maybe they were already close to a hiding place f.i. the construction site or they used a vehicle to drive the body some place else.

Another member had a theorie about a hit (and eventually run) accident. Also a good reason to hide a body, especially when the driver had consumed alcohol or drugs and panicking.

I don't know the area, but is there any water he could have fell into? It happens time and time again that people fall in water being drunk. Bodies come up thought, unless the body is stuck under some kind of construction in the water.

It's not very likely, but considering his age and being male, he could have developed a psychosis/schizophrenia and wondered off to?

Last edited:
Some photos of the construction site from different angles. They were taken 2 months after Kyle vanished but you get an idea. This is the place that the ATF obtained a warrant to search. The first image is the exact spot that the sniffer dogs traced Kyles scent to.

1703925104791.png
1703924648558.png

1703924771489.png

Interestingly, in this Youtube video, the sniffer dog handlers also says that as soon as she approached this spot she smelled the "odour of death". So Mary is not the only one to smell this. Some good footage of the search in the video.

I dunno...none of the searchers ever discovered anything at this site that even hinted at him being there. And yet the fact that the ATF got involved seems to verify there was information that he was buried here.

Based on all the reports this is the route that the sniffer dogs followed. It doesn't make any sense to me at all why he would be taking this route let alone heading to this park which by all accounts was a very dangerous place.
I wasn't aware until I watched the Youtube that the family and searchers, when checking Cordelia Park, were shot at!

From the most recent things I could find it seems that the PI, based on detailed analysis of the pings, believes that Kyle wasn't on this route at all but was at The Holiday Inn, which is next door to the bar. If he was walking this route, you'd think someone or some camera footage would have picked him up somewhere.
I was also quite surprised to learn this information about the pizza parlour employees:

Dick says, “later on we had much more evidence that the fuel pizza guys had a connection with the dogs, and one of the fuel pizza guys lived over by the area that Kyle went missing and there was a lot of connection there that we you know, found, and the pieces of the puzzle together. And they had criminal records, oh, some were pretty serious records. They didn’t drill down the fuel pizza thing at all and finally we got a hold of one of the guys that worked there and he said yeah I saw him there’
“a couple of the people working at fuel has some pretty serious records, and CMPD actually went to interview one of the guys up in Delaware years later and he was in prison - to no avail. He was in jail for assault and I don’t know where he is now, but neither of them have been arrested since. He (assuming Dick is referring to the family’s PI) actually went to one of the guys houses and knocked on his door to ask more questions about that night.” Mentioned the guy was ‘very experienced’ and that the detective left that night having a feeling that “he knew something” (source: Dick, the vanished podcast)

There is something odd in the information released by LE that 2:42 am: Kyle calls business he went to ‘earlier in the night’ but no answer I can't really understand why the information on this business was never released? At first I assumed he was calling the Buckhead Saloon as he realised he had left his stuff; but 1) I think they would say that and 2)since it wasn't a bar he frequented I doubt he'd have the number saved?
So where did he visit that LE wouldn't release...my first thought was a brothel! LOL

I don't know on this one; I am pretty sure LE have an idea what went down and are just waiting for the evidence to all add up.

It's quite eery seeing those photos of the construction site so soon after Kyle's vanishing, knowing he's possibly buried there. One correction, the phone never pinged at that location. Back then, from what I understand, triangulation wasn't available. There were two cell towers in the area in those days. The last time Kyle's phone pinged it was the one not associated with the uptown area, but that still encompassed a large area. I recommend the Unfound podcast on Kyle's disappearance. I agree the wording used on Kyle calling a business he frequented earlier in the day was strange. I've never bought into the idea that the pizza place employees abducted him and killed him while driving home. What's the basis, because some of them have criminal records? A lot of jobs that pay by the hour or trade work have employees that have records. I just don't see it.

I'm surprised Kyle's vanishing hasn't gotten more notoriety. There's no large body of water near Charlotte. He was last seen in an urban area. It's one of the most mysterious missing person's cases.

Last edited:
One correction, the phone never pinged at that location. Back then, from what I understand, triangulation wasn't available. There were two cell towers in the area in those days. The last time Kyle's phone pinged it was the one not associated with the uptown area, but that still encompassed a large area.
Sorry if i mixed up the location, I'm not familiar with the area at all and when you say uptown area I'll admit that means nothing to me haha Do you happen to know the exact places where the 2 cell towers were located?

Triangulation would have been possible based on the time difference between each ping at each tower. It is usually accurate to within about 30 metres, though with only 2 cell towers that accuracy is seriously reduced. The cellphone company could work this all out, I had honestly just assumed that LE never asked them but the PI did...I may have made that information up haha

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back