NC - Linsay, 18, & Maggie Lunsford, 9, killed by police chase, 1 Dec 2007

Pardon me for using the word fate... but, IMO, ANY chase can lead to any outcome. To try and say that an officer can chase "only when" doesn't make any logical sense and doesn't guarantee that all will remain "safe"... it should be left up to the officer's descretion... period.

There is no "period" here, everything we've been talking about is a matter of opinion.

You make it sound like police officers never make bad decisions. People have been DYING because officers have been using their "descretion" to chase would-be fugitives into BUSY areas.This isn't the wild west. There are considerations to be made.

There is no "period" here, everything we've been talking about is a matter of opinion.

You make it sound like police officers never make bad decisions. People have been DYING because officers have been using their "descretion" to chase would-be fugitives into BUSY areas.This isn't the wild west. There are considerations to be made.

Please, do not tell me I have to change MY opinion... and in stating my opinion the "PERIOD" is part of that. I'm sorry you do not like my opinion but I will not change it...

Please, do not tell me I have to change MY opinion... and in stating my opinion the "PERIOD" is part of that. I'm sorry you do not like my opinion but I will not change it...

I'm certainly not asking you to change your opinion, but your "PERIOD" was misplaced.

There are at least sections of 15 that are "lonely country highway" - that's where one of my rescue Beagles came from. I agree that in residential areas and busy streets chases have to be stopped unless they're chasing because someone was already driving like an idiot. But unless I knew the area they're talking about and all the details, I can't make a judgement. And if the police officer DID use bad judgement, it will come out but bottom line, the speeder KILLED the girls. What a HORRIBLE time of year for something like this to happen. This will be a hard Christmas for the family & friends.

We were on the interstate Sunday (2 lanes each way) and there was a SUV FLYING down the road dodging in and out of fairly heavy traffic even almost ran off the road at one point (wish he had) and I would have LOVED to seen a cop go after him. We lost sight of him because he was doing AT LEAST 90 in a 70 zone, but I pray he didn't kill anyone.

Yesterday afternoon they said the male driver tried to pass other cars on a blind hill. The officer was violating high speed chase rules set forth by that area. No chase may exceed the posted speed limit by more then 20 mph. They were in a 55 doing 90.

I am deeply upset that the officer is being blamed ....

It sounds like the family just wants to know why the person was being chased. It also sounds like the driver was all over the road and the officer probably thought that he was drunk because of the way he was driving. It sounds like the chase was called for if that was the case. If the officer had stopped chasing him he may have ended up hitting another car or more. I don't know what the answer is with car chases but I believe that there is a need for some. It's just awful that he took two young innocent lives.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back