NC - MacDonald family murders at Fort Bragg, 1970 - Jeffrey MacDonald innocent?

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by hockeymom, Nov 2, 2003.

1. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Active Member

Hi Zella, I recently listened to my Fatal Vision audiobook four times in a row because I wanted to dive into the evidence and commit them to memory.

Jeff’s notes and recordings were super annoying but they
    were useful to compare with known facts and witness
    testimony; they illustrate what a narcissistic liar he is.

It also shows what he really thought about Colette.

s

2. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

I especially enjoyed the psychologist's comments on our Dr. MacDonald -- his evaluation of the tests, etc., was not allowed in court, which I really wanted included.
    I thought his evaluations were revealing and bolstered my own thoughts about his doubts about his sexuality, and his compensations for those doubts, a la joining the Green Berets, talking (lying) to her about the Boxing Team going to Russia, and sleeping with every pretty woman he could find. I also wondered if Collette may have made a remark about his manhood on "that night."

And another thought:

Welcome to Websleuths,
    EvaGreen !!

3. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Active Member

Aww thank you Yeah I found myself going back over the psychologists assessment a lot, and it was so interesting!
    I think he was really afraid of being homosexual, I think
    The psychologist described it as being a phobia of his.

Btw, what’s your take on Jeff spending that time in
    Texas when he was still living at home with his parents?

4. Zella

Zella Well-Known Member

Oh I agree his sections were incredibly revealing about how little he thought of his family, how much he thought of himself, and how superficial he was. In that sense, they were psychologically interesting, but I life is just too short for me to sit there and read that through the end. LOL I've been reading true crime for over 20 years now, and that is only one of two books I've put down and couldn't finish because of how much the criminal in question repulsed me. He made my skin crawl.

5. borndem

It's been a while since I've read it, although I have read it 4--5 times in the last 20 years...
    I don't recall Jeff and the Texas trip vs. staying home with his parents. I rattled my brain and nothing came out. :confused:
    Refresh my memory, or maybe someone else can recall it!

EvaGreen likes this.
  6. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Active Member

Oh I was referring to when he was in high school and a friend of the family really liked Jeff and invited him to spend a couple weeks in Texas but it lasted a few months.

The man’s wife said he was very attracted (her word) to Jeff.

His father was angry and believed Jeff abandoned his family.
    It really upset him.

McGinnis referred Jeff’s interpretation of a Rorschach test
    that had to do with an older man watching a boy sleep.
    Jeff said that the boy may have mistook the man’s affection
    as something untoward.

Zella and borndem like this.
  7. Catmommy

Catmommy I see more than I say

You know, I have no reason to think he checks out things about himself on the internet but I hope he does and I hope Jeffrey MacDonald reads this thread.

Betty P, borndem and EvaGreen like this.
  8. EvaGreen

EvaGreen Active Member

Lol, it would be awesome if he read this thread.
    Dissecting his psych reports, pointing out his grandiose lies about himself and his cruelty to
    his wife. We have his number, and he’s a weakling.

9. borndem

Yes, yes, yes, @EvaGreen, I remember now! Thanks for the refresh!
    And I do remember his Rorschach interpretations! Very telling, and, to me, not surprising.
    Was any part of this man genuine? Grrrrr.
    At least he's genuinely in the slammer!

10. Zella

Zella Well-Known Member

The only thing I remember him seeming to have a genuine reaction to and some actual reflection capability on (though not turned inward) was in the sections I read where he talked about his relationship with his father and his father's personality, but of course, the fact he had issues with his dad and was on the receiving end of being hurt by his father is probably why. Because he was personally affected (and humiliated and made uncomfortable) by it.

In contrast, I don't think he ever cared about hurting his wife and kids, even before he killed them because it didn't hurt ol' Jeff. I was disturbed by how coldly and impersonally he talked about them every single time he mentioned them, even in an allegedly loving context.

"we fell in love and whatnot."
    "I thought having Kimberley was neat."

Now that it has been mentioned, I also remember him having some real hangups about masculinity, which, again, he attributed to/blamed his father for.

11. borndem

Good post -- I agree 100% -- he loved only himself.
    His over-compensation about his manhood led him to do some very stupid things -- his womanizing, the going-to-Russia "boxing" charade (he could have said he was going over there to show the Russian doctors some new ERoom techniques), telling his father-in-law that he had killed one of the killers of his family. Grrrrr.
    But, I say again, the slime-ball is still in the slammer. :D

12. cujenn81

cujenn81 Well-Known Member

I listened to the audiobook while commuting to work. I usually hate the way narrators alter their voice to sound like “the characters” in most audiobooks but this one was really well done. The police recordings of JM’s actual interviews are also included.

13. marydetail

marydetail New Member

just thought of something- maybe Collette was talking to the intruders since they came in the back door and when they said they were there to kill the children she replied to them, and not jeff

14. MrsWatson

MrsWatson Well-Known Member

What intruders? Could you please provide a link that shows LE established that there were indeed intruders that night?

Zella, GarAndTeed, Catmommy and 2 others like this.
  15. Sonny Crockett

Sonny Crockett Well-Known Member

There were no intruders in the house that night. JM just made them up in order to deflect suspicion/attention away from himself. He was soley responsible for these heinous crimes.

Zella, mickey2942, mrsselig and 5 others like this.