Found Deceased NC - Maddox Ritch, 6 w/Autism, Gastonia, 22 Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more than the average child, I expect. Some children like water, some don't. I hope they find him safe. :(

I dont know the statistics but I was always trained to be very aware when near water with the children with autism and while some didnt tolerate the sound of RUNNING water, every one I knew loved water. We used pools as calming techniques quiet often. .. Maybe one huge difference is the lack of fear and consequences.... Every child/ person on the autism spectrum is different and some were very aware of the danger however, many simply seem drawn to it in more than just a curiosity type of way.....
Regardless, EVERY young child should be watched and in reach near water. My 4 year old is not autistic however I still literally made the poor kid wear a life jacket attached to a leash that was wrapped around my arm when he played in the very edge of the water on our vacation to gulf shores this summer... maybe a bit over paranoid but my anxiety killed me to not have my hands on him that close to open water.

Last edited:
Did anyone other than the parent report seeing him at the park? I thought for sure they would have found him by now. I just want to know if we know 100% he was at the park.

Praying
MISSING GASTONIA BOY: Ground search to continue Sunday morning for missing 6-year-old boy at Gastonia park The news report said he was with his father and another adult. Then, it says his parents said he ran ahead of them. So, it is a little confusing to tell if mom and dad were there, or if it is dad and someone else.

Praying. So if he ran ahead...was he out of sight for very long? Doesn't really make sense to me. I have an autistic son and we walk on trails over and he's never out of sight even if he runs ahead. With two adults, it's pretty easy.

Authorities still have hope of finding missing 6-year-old alive
“The police are following every lead that they have and can find,” said city of Gastonia spokeswoman Rachel Bagley, offering an update outside the park’s entrance about 11:30 a.m. “We know a lot more today than we knew last night.

“I think (police) are confident they are doing everything they can. We’re not giving up hope.”

My son (autistic) used to love water but now isn't a fan of all. But he doesn't understand danger at all, which is fairly common with autism. So whether or not a child is drawn to it or not, you have to be so diligent if you are anywhere near water.

So the authorities know more today than they did yesterday?? More what, exactly? Hmm....

Police have not stated if anyone else had saw him at the park or if he was on the surveillance video.....
And it was initially stated with parents however, mom was not there. It was dad and another individual that has not been identified as to if male/ female or relationship. The area surrounding the lake has lots of creeks/ ditches and swampy type spots and drainage pipes so if he went to the wooded area as opposed to the lake, he still was in dangerous conditions. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member