Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #8 *Arrest*

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by scaredtopost, Nov 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cvaldez1975

cvaldez1975 Well-Known Member

the way my partner's attorney explained it, the pre emptive strike usually sets the tone for the case. we had a setback but easily got back on course since he took the first strike and mom proved herself to be, well herself. luckily we are from a more equal state. in NC, AW def needs a lawyer pronto.

2. cvaldez1975

this is true. if you file ex parte then it might get an emergency hearing and it is added last minute. if you file a regular case its weeks out.

3. jjs

jjs Member

I did, and I agree totally. I think this is very possibly what Mariah and her brother had.

The canyons are fantastic! I have to say though, none of them beat the Gorge itself. My favourite music venue in the world, and I've been to a lot.

That makes me so sad :( It's a beautiful and very natural place there.

4. BlinkOfAnI

BlinkOfAnI Well-Known Member

Just a guess but abandoned houses are loved by drug users. It's a place to hang out alone or with fellow users where they can do their thing and less chance of getting caught. This house had a lot of woods surrounding it which would enable someone to walk through the woods and enter unseen. The clothes and papers thrown about bolsters my thoughts on that. I have wondered if the owner had someone check the house when this all started (especially knowing the house would be an ideal spot to dump, hide, etc.). If someone checked they may have seen the dressers there. The person may have gone back there again as the police continued to ask people to check thoroughly and the dressers were gone. More speculation, if EK had a cell phone it could have shown he was there. At first I thought a neighbor may have spotted him but looking at the ariel view it is very wooded. Some houses can't even be seen on the google map. Just an arrow in the middle of woods. I wonder if he had Mariah there for a while before disposing of her. Pure guess but could he have used the dressers when transporting her body as a safety net in case he was stopped by LE. Like he was just moving furniture rather then a blanket that looked like something could be under it? He had to have been paranoid with everything going on. These are just random thoughts swirling in my head.

5. soanyway

soanyway Active Member

BBM This is the first reference I've seen to the "days leading up to her disappearance", previously I had only seen where LE was interested in the 26th and 27th (day she was reported missing).

http://www.jdnews.com/news/20171207/investigation-continues-in-toddlers-death

6. rsd1200

rsd1200 If there's no link, it's just my own 2¢.

I may be wrong, but I think the owner lives near the old house, and he may have went over to check to see if the child had gotten in somehow. Noticed that the dressers were gone, and reported it to LE, or checked his own surveillance video and saw EK coming and going and reported him. They'd probably seen the dressers, during the search at EK's trailer, and bingo.

7. Canaille

Canaille Crank

Maybe when LE was searching the premises, they found papers in these dressers that had name and addresses on them. Such as old utility bills.

8. cvaldez1975

thanks for sharing.

my partner's ex always ran with "hes an active alcoholic!" and the first custody battle they believed her because 1. he had had a DUI 20 years before when he was 21 and 2. he was angry due to the recent divorce due to her infidelity, angry that the court was having HIM jump through hoops and initially refused to test for alcohol.

she tried the same tactics the second time. he had a lawyer this time. the lawyer told him to just jump through the hoops. he tested. he took the classes. SHE then proceeded to show her entire ass because things didn't go her way at all this time around. the judge had her number.

moral of story: be honest, jump through the hoops. if you are a dad, get a lawyer.

9. jjs

jjs Member

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but...
    http://www.thetimesnews.com/news/20170924/in-nc-child-killings-can-carry-little-or-no-prison-time

Highlights:

[FONT=&quot]Of 120 child deaths that the Observer examined, including William Yates, authorities ruled 31 as homicides or other unlawful killings. Three child deaths resulted in life sentences for the parent or caregiver; other sentences were short or had no prison time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The Observer found failures in the state’s child welfare system that included missed signs of abuse or neglect by social workers, medical professionals, law enforcement and others. The state has fallen woefully behind in reviewing child deaths, which is meant to help prevent future mistakes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Child advocates say state leaders need to do more to prevent abuse from happening in the first place. But for many of the children already lost, justice can be elusive because of the nature of child abuse cases.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Peter Strickland, a Moore County prosecutor, says the parent or guardian is often the only witness to the death. In many cases, the children who died had several caregivers, making it difficult to prove who was at fault. Weapons are rarely involved.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“You just kind of have to use the physical evidence and diagnose the cause of death. It’s not always easy to prove,” Strickland said.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]There is also the emotional component. Often, the accused did not intend to kill the child, and prosecutors are reluctant to seek harsh punishment, said Tom Vitaglione, a senior fellow at NC Child, an advocacy and policy group based in Raleigh.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]“There’s great empathy and sympathy for that, so they don’t want to go any further unless it is a clear case,” Vitaglione said.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]The result, in many cases, are plea agreements with lesser charges, such as involuntary manslaughter.[/FONT]

This is terrible. Something smells rotten in North Carolina.

10. rsd1200

I've known kids who knew what some drugs were, and fairly young. Most folks I knew, did not have children, or didn't do anything in front of their kids, but, may have had a child walk in on them (forgot to lock the bathroom door). My eldest told me they learned the most about what drugs were, and what they looked like, from the task force program, that came into their elementary school. It was intended to teach them to avoid drugs... :facepalm:

11. rsd1200

BBM
    Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad that everything worked out for you and your kids. I can see where the case may be similar with this family.

12. MsMarple

MsMarple Well-Known Member

I'm behind on posts but comapny's about to arrive and I just wanted to say that in defense of myself and my fellow sleuthers in Shaylynn's case msm interviewed the dad and grandma early on and they said little about the man who was at the house who took Shaylynn. Eventually the dad said he thought he saw the man leaving early in the morning, carrying something and thought he saw a foot - like he wasn't sure his friend had taken Shaylynn. And after the perp was caught LE executed some search warrants on the dad's house and social media accounts so they may have had some suspicions. I add that nothing was ever released about the results and no one in the family has ever been named a POI or arrested so I think LE didn't find anything suspicious.

And in the case Tricia mentioned, the dad had a prior SA assault charge on his oldest daughter and another girl that he pled down so technically he was never convicted for it. That's what made some of us suspect him. Again, he was innocent so yeah, it's not always what it appears.

Company's here, gotta go, I just wanted to point that out.

13. PinkPrincess5

PinkPrincess5 New Member

Sorry if this has already been discussed but why did MW need leg braces? Was it from a birth defect? Could this defect have been caused by her mom taking drugs while pregnant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. rsd1200

15. SleepysaurusRex

SleepysaurusRex New Member

I haven't a clue what her leg abnormality was exactly. There was a discussion a page or few back about it. However it would almost positively not have been caused by illicit drug use. Abnormalities or birth defects involving the hips, legs and feet are almost always hereditary and are more common in girls. They're also seen often in women with a small uterus or low amneotic fluid.

Some prescription medications have been known to cause physical deformities, (but we are talking major deformities like missing limbs and these drugs aren't used anymore.)

Street drugs mostly effect neonates' brains, face, lungs and there is speculation about eyes and ears.

16. SleepysaurusRex

SleepysaurusRex New Member

Idk much about how smart he is or isn't- regardless, it's not even all THAT smart. Lol.

17. terpstra1

terpstra1 New Member

There's been lot of discussion about Turners Syndrome so I thought I'd post a link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_syndrome

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

18. DAnthrplgst

DAnthrplgst Active Member

I know it's off-topic but I thought all of you would be interested in this. Steven Tyler of Aerosmith opened a home today in Georgia for abused girls. He spoke of when he was in rehab years ago and he learned that most of the ladies in there with him suffered horrific abuse in their youth which contributed to their drug abuse later in life.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cel...abused-girls/ar-BBGpd5h?li=AA2qN5v&ocid=ientp

19. jjs

jjs Member

20. nyvictoria

nyvictoria Well-Known Member

Has there been any news about the custody hearing that was supposed to take place today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.