Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #8 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm disgusted. Just been on Facebook, and one of the groups have posted a pic of Marian's casket, after the family asking no pics to be taken. They have been asked to remove the photo, and won't. Comments in there are disgusting. Yes it's just the casket, you can't see Mariah, but they have no respect. It was something I expected to happen, with public being allowed. But they were told no pictures/phones/cameras.

What a horrible thing to do.

I may have missed something, but on Facebook, unless someone was a "friend" of KW, they would not be able to see what she was really posting. The public posts do not give a good overall portrait of her life.

It's unusual for someone who has their posts set to 'public' to switch between public and 'friends only' settings. If it's going to happen it is usually a one-time only switch as they realize that their posts have formerly been seen by anyone and everyone and then they get a bit more FB savvy and learn how to make the change. But I think it's very rare to make some posts public and some posts private during the space of a day or a week or a month.

I have seen that happen sometimes in the past when FB mobile had a different setting from the computer FB, and they switched between devices, but I think the setting might now be inherited between devices rather than device-dependent?

It's unusual for someone who has their posts set to 'public' to switch between public and 'friends only' settings. If it's going to happen it is usually a one-time only switch as they realize that their posts have formerly been seen by anyone and everyone and then they get a bit more FB savvy and learn how to make the change. But I think it's very rare to make some posts public and some posts private during the space of a day or a week or a month.

I have seen that happen sometimes in the past when FB mobile had a different setting from the computer FB, and they switched between devices, but I think the setting might now be inherited between devices rather than device-dependent?

Everytime you make an individual post you can select who you want to view - just friends, public, friends of friends etc

It's not unusual among my friends. Most of us do this. I also often see the little gear switch looking thing on posts, which indicates only certain friends can see it. It's a good way to keep professional and personal contacts separate. Half of my friends are set to restricted so that they only see public posts, so I throw some out there on occasion so they don't get suspicious.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

that's less of an attachment phase as it is navigation of sexual identification. It's really just one of Freud's theory that may or may not hold weight, like penis envy (bogus). it comes from a time when many adults had sexual abuse in their childhoods, before children had rights and adults had some pretty sick ideas when it came to children and sex. and we are still seeing the effects of this societally condoned sexual abuse of children. one thing Freud was good for it acknowledging the negative and pathological effects of sex abuse on children, but he swallowed that and his theories changed their meaning after pressure from the psychology society to stop theorizing that sex with children was traumatic for kids. so it's taken another hundred years for that to become widely known as abusive.

I never knew that! I only took a few psychology classes, and I found Freud to have a rather sick mind if you look at his theories as a window into his own mind. And if you bear in mind that there have been sex abuse allegations against one of his descendants that I have not looked into deeply but am aware of from some headlines...

I think the person who asked the question about the oedipal complex was maybe thinking more of the stage that a lot of girls go through of being known as "daddy's girl", which I would have thought to be more about mommy doing the day-to-day caring and then daddy coming home from work and being a bit more focused on play time, and it might just be as simple as when mommy says excitedly to the kids, "oooh daddy's home! Yay!" and the child is the same way after a long day of playing and 'harassing' mommy all day and maybe she's getting a bit tired by now, and the kids switch to 'harassing' daddy for a few hours while mommy cooks dinner, and it's like a highlight of the day when daddy walks through the door?

ETA as I'm scrolling, yes Oedipal complex is the mother and the son, and Electra complex is the father and the daughter.

Everytime you make an individual post you can select who you want to view - just friends, public, friends of friends etc

I don’t like anecdata but I personally keep my FB set to friends only and then have a couple of posts set to public so my profile isn’t bare if people look me up. I’ve started also sharing some interesting articles to “public” so professional contacts can see when we’re in groups together. So I know at least one person who does do this (me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know about that. I remember every single detail about the last day I briefly saw my best friend before she died when I was only 3 1/2. I could tell you exactly what she was wearing and what we were feeling and saying, and it hurts my heart even now to picture those two little girls reaching out for each other and crying while our mothers kept us apart. And just that experience alone, knowing she was sick, and then knowing she had "gone to heaven" before the promised return visit "tomorrow" made me a sometimes morbid child. That was 40 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.

So sorry for this sad memory. I have distinct memories from age 2 and 1/2. I know it seems unlikely, but they are vivid and true. I also remember the day JFK was assassinated, and I was just a bit more than 3--only 1 month older than John Kennedy, Jr., who saluted his dad's passing coffin. :( I didn't understand the implications at the time, but the striking thing of that day was that mother cried, something she rarely did in my lifetime. A few days later my mom and brother and I went to a ceremony in the town square where they did a 21 gun salute. It was cold. I didn't understand it. We had to be quiet, and my brother cried, because my mom would not allow him to pick up the brass that ejected from the rifles, but some other kids were allowed to do so. My mom didn't remember being at the event, but my brother was nearly 6, and he remembered it when we discussed it in later years.

Recently, at work, we were discussing our earliest memories, and everyone had something from around age 3 to contribute.

So, surfing on FB, I came across a screen shot of a post from a neighborhood watch group near Mariah's home. It was from the day she was reported missing. Can it be shared here?

Please don't feel bad. We've all had those face-palm occasions when we've simply reacted in the moment without thinking it through. I know I've had more than my share, for sure.

You're a valued asset to this forum, and I'm glad you're here.

Keep your chin up...

Thanks. #GeicoGecko #weAllDoDumbThings [emoji6] [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's interesting you can remember something so vividly at 3.5 years old. It's generally accepted that memories from that age are unretrievable by the time a person reaches puberty. In fact, we lose about 60% of our early childhood memories by the age of 9yo.

I vividly remember some very traumatic events from my early childhood. I don't want to go into details, but before my grandparents took custody of me, I was subjected to some very severe abuse of all kinds, starting when I was an infant. I was 4 when my grandparents took me and I will *never* forget the things I went through before that.

BBM
The charges filed seem more like the child died of an accident (fall, overdose ect) and the adults panicked and hid the body either knowing they would do jail time for having drugs around children or from thinking that KW would for sure lose custody of the boys.

Snip by me.
Wasn't this the whole argument with Caylee Anthony? The defense was that there was a horrible accident (drowning) and CFA panicked. We all know that wasn't the case.
I don't buy that a normal (even semi-normal) parent can throw away their child after an honest accident.

I never knew that! I only took a few psychology classes, and I found Freud to have a rather sick mind if you look at his theories as a window into his own mind. And if you bear in mind that there have been sex abuse allegations against one of his descendants that I have not looked into deeply but am aware of from some headlines...

I think the person who asked the question about the oedipal complex was maybe thinking more of the stage that a lot of girls go through of being known as "daddy's girl", which I would have thought to be more about mommy doing the day-to-day caring and then daddy coming home from work and being a bit more focused on play time, and it might just be as simple as when mommy says excitedly to the kids, "oooh daddy's home! Yay!" and the child is the same way after a long day of playing and 'harassing' mommy all day and maybe she's getting a bit tired by now, and the kids switch to 'harassing' daddy for a few hours while mommy cooks dinner, and it's like a highlight of the day when daddy walks through the door?

ETA as I'm scrolling, yes Oedipal complex is the mother and the son, and Electra complex is the father and the daughter.

I have no time for Sigmund Freud, but his granddaughter, Esther Freud, has written some great, semi-autobiographical books of her life with her hippy mother dragging them all around Morocco and waiting on her father Lucien to send money,

It's not unusual among my friends. Most of us do this. I also often see the little gear switch looking thing on posts, which indicates only certain friends can see it. It's a good way to keep professional and personal contacts separate. Half of my friends are set to restricted so that they only see public posts, so I throw some out there on occasion so they don't get suspicious.

usage imho to separate into lists and to post family updates to family, friend updates to friends, and keep some of your personal rants away from some of your work/professional contacts. But even my amongst friends who have more professional professions (eg. teachers) I find it unusual behavior to switch between the two. Being a professional/having a profession like teaching, does not automatically make someone FB savvy, and I think if you surveyed FB users you'd find that a huge number of them don't know where the gear switch is and don't know how to tell when their friends posts are set to public vs a list just by looking at the post in their newsfeed.

Then, when I look around FB, I see that most people will either set 'anything' to public, or they will have a wholly private profile with just the updating of the profile picture being set to 'public' because that is usually automatically set to public and less likely for anyone to go out of their way and purposely set it to 'friends only'.

Most people are not FB savvy imho. That is just an observation. Most people are not particularly internet savvy, and in the past ten years there's been a massive switch between those who were more likely desktop/laptop users and the influx of people using their smartphone to access the internet, and I think the latter group especially are less likely to be FB savvy, and the mobile platform is a bit more awkward to target to lists in my experience. In the pre-smartphone era I would occasionally come across, mostly older users, who didn't know about browsers or tabs or how to use the 'x' button, but a lot of people were more likely to explore what a computer can do and learn a bit more about the capabilities of the machine via the OS. Something like Win XP was wonderful for computer people, but Microsoft is designing platforms to be more user-friendly so you don't have to learn about the OS in order to use the internet. And there are exceptions to rules such as teachers making angst-ridden posts public and computer geniuses who don't know much about FB settings.

I would say you probably have a very FB-savvy set of friends, and that it's unusual to switch in that way, but having an FB-savvy set of friends, especially containing a high number of 'professional' people who are highly computer-literate, then there might be a bit of a viral effect of them teaching each other and compounding the difference between them and the general population of FB users who will use one setting or the other and will let devices either auto-set or inherit.

If we don't have access to statistics on this subject, then I guess it's going to have to be an agree to disagree matter, and a lot of our opinion on the subject will come from personal observations which will naturally vary between us all.

Here is the video all by itself. The most telling part for me was at the end,when KW tells Mariah to take her foot off the gas, tells her again, then swats Mariah's foot off the gas and says, "Hey, woman!" To her 3 year old daughter..... May be a cultural thing, but it still seems rather off. http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/...953388744/640x360_MP4_4335062551953388744.mp4

Again, I'm going to be on the unpopular side, but I didn't really see anything wrong with the video, except for her saying "Daddy"; That's the one thing that perked up my ears. I don't think that's what she calls him, though. A lot of folks call each other that in front of the kids (I'll hand off my grandchild to my sil, and say, "Take him, Daddy", for example, but I don't call my sil, "Daddy".) Heck we call each other that to the DOGS! Yes, I know... I believe she was referring to him as their Daddy.

Here's your new, replacement, Daddy. Isn't it he great kids? Much better than your old Dad. We may have divorced, and kinda disliked one another, for awhile, but my ex was their father, so they call their step-father by his first name. It's worked for us. Others may disagree, but that was the biggest red flag for me. Had their father been deceased, and all of the children very young, maybe different, but I'd not push it. Just my take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle