Found Deceased NC - Mariah Woods, 3, Onslow County, 27 Nov 2017 #9 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I was EK and I had no culpability in Mariah’s death I would be demanding a speedy trial on the current charges. The fact that he’s just sitting tight for now leads me to believe he played some part in her death. Of course, there could be some negotiating going on behind the scenes.

I’d really like to know if LE has results back for all the evidence they submitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did he waive his right to a speedy trial?

BBM

I am sorry if I have confused you.

Only momentarily. All's well. You simply reinforced my opinion that a prosecutor filing serious murder charges against someone--and then later deciding there wasn't enough evidence to prosecute--is unconstitutional.

My experience on websleuths is that the posters on here deal in facts, not conjecture. The mods preach it over and over. If you say it either post a link to it or make a disclaimer in plain sight that what you are saying is just your own opinion.

Don't get me wrong Gitana, I enjoy your posts and find them to be very enlightening on many subjects. I think you are a logical person and I love that in other people.

All I am saying is wait until we have more facts, more proof, to conclude anyone is guilty of murder or anything other than what LE (who I admit has more facts than any of us on here does including me) has charged them with.

One thing I have learned in my many years of living (I am three days older than dirt) is that people can do some really stupid things for some really stupid reasons. They will lie when the truth would be better. So I consider that when wondering whether these two, EK and KW, would try to hide and cover up an accident.

BBM

I don't understand it, but, I've seen the same thing happen, and seen it cause families a lot of pain. I've borne witness to folks making some of the dumbest decisions, because they feared CPS, only to have those decisions bring CPS down on them even harder. People who are in the system, especially if they grew up in the system, many times, don't think like those who have never dealt with the system (at least that's been my observance/experience).

BBM

I don't understand it, but, I've seen the same thing happen, and seen it cause families a lot of pain. I've borne witness to folks making some of the dumbest decisions, because they feared CPS, only to have those decisions bring CPS down on them even harder. People who are in the system, especially if they grew up in the system, many times, don't think like those who have never dealt with the system (at least that's been my observance/experience).

You make an excellent point. For those of us who have no personal experience with CPS it's hard to imagine parents/caregivers making horrific decisions instead of what we would as rational people. Until I joined Websleuths I had little understanding of CPS other than through some volunteer work with at-risk parents in the 1980s.

Still, some of those decisions (or excuses) are so inhumane and outrageous that it's nearly impossible to believe the reasons they give for their actions, regardless of experience. And frankly, most of the time they are lying about an accident happening and fear of getting into trouble with CPS or LE causing them to chose to hide their child's body and report them as missing instead. IOW, abuse/violence actually occurred and (IMO) they think they can somehow lie their way out by claiming an "accident" happened or another child was responsible.

I know there are a few exceptions but those are rare, at least in the cases here that I've followed. Nearly every one of those cases turned out to be murder, plain and simple, not an accident. LE usually doesn't buy it either and thank goodness for forensic evidence. So I have little sympathy for people who hurt their kids regardless of their own personal histories.

Anyway, I believe that in this case one of the adults acted out and caused Mariah to die. It may take LE some time to collect and organize enough evidence to bring appropriate charges to those responsible for her death but I am optimistic that it will happen. I hope.

But I do agree that for those of us who have never dealt with CPS or the law (as far as our kids are concerned) we need to at least try to understand the way other people's history can affect the way they react. It may not alter our personal judgments but it could give us a little insight into why violent people act the way they do. MOO.

I'm trying to recall the last case I followed of a young child who went missing that it wasn't suggested that it was an accidental death covered up by parents. I have yet to come across a case where a child dies accidentally then covered up by the parents (or adults in his/her life) but it's suggested every single time.

This makes me realize that many people believe that people aren't as evil as they truly are, which isn't a bad thing. Having hope that a child wasn't brutally murdered just shows that people really want good to triumph evil.

You make an excellent point. For those of us who have no personal experience with CPS it's hard to imagine parents/caregivers making horrific decisions instead of what we would as rational people. Until I joined Websleuths I had little understanding of CPS other than through some volunteer work with at-risk parents in the 1980s.

Still, some of those decisions (or excuses) are so inhumane and outrageous that it's nearly impossible to believe the reasons they give for their actions, regardless of experience. And frankly, most of the time they are lying about an accident happening and fear of getting into trouble with CPS or LE causing them to chose to hide their child's body and report them as missing instead. IOW, abuse/violence actually occurred and (IMO) they think they can somehow lie their way out by claiming an "accident" happened or another child was responsible.

I know there are a few exceptions but those are rare, at least in the cases here that I've followed. Nearly every one of those cases turned out to be murder, plain and simple, not an accident. LE usually doesn't buy it either and thank goodness for forensic evidence. So I have little sympathy for people who hurt their kids regardless of their own personal histories.

Anyway, I believe that in this case one of the adults acted out and caused Mariah to die. It may take LE some time to collect and organize enough evidence to bring appropriate charges to those responsible for her death but I am optimistic that it will happen. I hope.

But I do agree that for those of us who have never dealt with CPS or the law (as far as our kids are concerned) we need to at least try to understand the way other people's history can affect the way they react. It may not alter our personal judgments but it could give us a little insight into why violent people act the way they do. MOO.

I am not saying that this was, or was not, an accident. I'm just saying that folks who have been in the system, many times, do not think with the same logic, as those of us who have not been in the system. Some families are generational CPS families. They've never known anything other than being in the system, and a regular visit from their worker. They were literally, born, into the "system". It's all they know. The system has failed those families. Their goal should be to help them become cohesive families, who don't need CPS. As I said earlier in the thread, I feel sympathy for these two boys today, but I won't hate them tomorrow, if their lives don't play out to be wonderful, based on what I know about the kids, right now.

I'm trying to recall the last case I followed of a young child who went missing that it wasn't suggested that it was an accidental death covered up by parents. I have yet to come across a case where a child dies accidentally then covered up by the parents (or adults in his/her life) but it's suggested every single time.

This makes me realize that many people believe that people aren't as evil as they truly are, which isn't a bad thing. Having hope that a child wasn't brutally murdered just shows that people really want good to triumph evil.

Good ultimately does outweigh bad. As Mr. Rogers' mother used to tell him, when he was a child, and would be afraid of bad things that had happened;

'When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” - Fred Rogers

Yes, something bad happened to little M, but look at all of the people who cared, and came out to look. Her two brothers may have a chance now. This may change the way CPS looks at individual cases in NC. Even though some of us have different views on what may or may not have happened, we care about what happened to little M or we wouldn't be here. It doesn't erase what the two people have done who should have been her protectors but it does show that there are quite a lot of good folks out there.

Good ultimately does outweigh bad. As Mr. Rogers' mother used to tell him, when he was a child, and would be afraid of bad things that had happened;

'When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” - Fred Rogers

Yes, something bad happened to little M, but look at all of the people who cared, and came out to look. Her two brothers may have a chance now. This may change the way CPS looks at individual cases in NC. Even though some of us have different views on what may or may not have happened, we care about what happened to little M or we wouldn't be here. It doesn't erase what the two people have done who should have been her protectors but it does show that there are quite a lot of good folks out there.

I appreciate the way you think :)
Thank you for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM

Yeah well, this is the bull riding, calf roping, Stetson hat type of state and that is indeed how they do things here. I have seen it many times. Murder charges filed, suspect arrested, court date, a period of time suspect sitting in jail, DA comes back and says "ok we are dropping this to manslaughter, negligent homicide ect" or in a lot of cases "ok we are dismissing the charges at this time Your Honor" because the evidence just wasn't there.

But they either have overwhelming proof (suspect standing over the dead body with smoking gun in hand when they arrest them) or an autopsy report with COD as homicide before they make that arrest and charge the suspect with murder. It's that cowboy, John Wayne, mentality I guess.

But the people here also have a sense of fairness that says your are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. We gave up lynching people with no proof there was even a murder back in the 1800's before we even became a state.

bbm

In the bolded phrases, are you saying that the State of North Carolina does things a certain way, or are you referring to the state where you live? I'm a bit confused. I have watched and sleuthed a lot of NC cases, and usually a suspect is charged with a particular crime (1st Degree Murder or 2nd Degree Murder, for example) because it is a charge that the prosecutors feel that they can prove, and one that is supported by a Grand Jury.

I'm guessing that you are from another state since NC gained statehood in 1789, and was the 11th State of the Union.

No biggie whatsoever, just curious. Could you be a Texan? If so, you live in an historically amazing and interesting state! Lots to offer! Been there, would like to visit again!

Not sure if this has been posted. Apologies if it has.

Article and podcast at link.

December 18, 2017

Is Social Services partially responsible for Mariah Woods’ death? Director speaks out as community demands answers

http://www.crimeonline.com/2017/12/...ctor-speaks-out-as-community-demands-answers/
"According to the leaked court documents that Mariah’s father, Alex Woods, provided (which DSS cannot confirm as official due to disclosure laws), the court believed that Woods’ children may have been exposed to “a substantial risk of physical injury or sexual abuse because of the parent, guardian, custodian, or caretaker has created conditions likely to cause injury or abuse or has failed to provide, or is unable to provide, adequate supervision or protection.”

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Little Mariah should be getting excited about the Christmas lights, and the gifts to open. So sad for her siblings.

Yes, 2Hope4 -- I can only imagine the things her father thought of giving her this Christmas. Of course being with him permanently would have been the greatest gift. Would have been. Should have been. SMH. But at least she is out of all that pain and fear now. I hope justice is swift and will come close to evening-up the score for those two no-goods.

And let's hope the boys can rise above what they have been through and become good, loving and loved young men and adults. They have a lot to overcome.

"According to the leaked court documents that Mariah’s father, Alex Woods, provided (which DSS cannot confirm as official due to disclosure laws), the court believed that Woods’ children may have been exposed to “a substantial risk of physical injury or sexual abuse because of the parent, guardian, custodian, or caretaker has created conditions likely to cause injury or abuse or has failed to provide, or is unable to provide, adequate supervision or protection.”

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've seen this quote mentioned a few times in the threads and I can't get over a nagging feeling that AW isn't providing the entire story regarding CPS and the removal/return of the children. If the court believed that such a risk existed if the children stayed with the mother then why did the court return the children? I know it's hip to hate on CPS and the family courts, and rightfully so, but this seems like a pretty big, in your face screw-up. This is the kinda thing that can end careers, maybe even see people in prison for professional misconduct/professional negligence. I know we aren't supposed to bad mouth AW since he's a victim but I think he's either lying about something or only giving half the story about why the kids were returned.

Merry 1st Christmas in Heaven Mariah. You are forever playing with all the other little angels gone too soon. This makes me so sad.

Posts have been removed. If the bickering starts up again, timeouts will be issued.

It is Christmas day and maybe staff would like to spend time with their families instead of having to monitor threads for TOS violations.

:wave:

Do we know when the autopsy results will be released? This beautiful girl needs, no....REQUIRES justice.

Do we know when the autopsy results will be released? This beautiful girl needs, no....REQUIRES justice.

I wish I knew, I was hoping they would have been released by now, at least a COD, but then again, it's only been around 6 weeks since this all happened, I imagine they are still waiting on toxicology. Does anyone remember when EK's next court appearance is, it's around March or April, right?

I wish I knew, I was hoping they would have been released by now, at least a COD, but then again, it's only been around 6 weeks since this all happened, I imagine they are still waiting on toxicology. Does anyone remember when EK's next court appearance is, it's around March or April, right?

Yes, next court date is April 2nd for EK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member