Found Deceased NC - Martin Bankhead, 61, Raleigh, 10 Jun 2018

cybervampira

Reaction score
Missing man search underway after vehicle found crashed in York Co.

MISSING PERSON: Martin Bankhead from Raleigh, NC; Car found on Cureton Ferry Rd Catawba.
MISSING PERSON: Martin Bankhead was reported missing by his wife. Martin was last seen at his residence on June 10, 2018, at approx. 9:45 PM, in Raleigh, NC.
FC43CB39-449E-4A76-8E34-5550E8448C78.jpeg
Martin was last seen wearing a purple polo shirt, light khaki's, & brown shoes. Martin has some gray facial hair & wears glasses.
On June, 11, at approximately 5:45 AM, Martin's vehicle was located crashed & unoccupied in Catawba, SC.
• HEIGHT: 6’2”
• WEIGHT: 180 lbs.
• LKA: Palm Bay Cir., Raleigh NC.
Call the YCSO Lt. Miller at 803-628-3056 or the Raleigh Police Department at 919-996-3335 with information.

MISSING PERSON: Martin Bankhead from Raleigh, NC; Car found on Cureton Ferry Rd Catawba.

York County Sheriff's Office

Missing man search underway after vehicle found crashed in York Co.

MISSING PERSON: Martin Bankhead was reported missing by his wife. Martin was last seen at his residence on June 10, 2018, at approx. 9:45 PM, in Raleigh, NC.
View attachment 136073
Martin was last seen wearing a purple polo shirt, light khaki's, & brown shoes. Martin has some gray facial hair & wears glasses.
On June, 11, at approximately 5:45 AM, Martin's vehicle was located crashed & unoccupied in Catawba, SC.
• HEIGHT: 6’2”
• WEIGHT: 180 lbs.
• LKA: Palm Bay Cir., Raleigh NC.
Call the YCSO Lt. Miller at 803-628-3056 or the Raleigh Police Department at 919-996-3335 with information.

York County Sheriff's Office

Here's the latest from a local news channel: Missing Raleigh man's car found crashed in SC

There's not really a good, straight way to get from his house to the location his car was found, it's roughly 3+ hrs. from his house. Very strange.
Just a few of the many questions I have:
Did anyone know he left in the vehicle? What was his destination? When did he leave? When did he expect to be back? Did he have a cell phone with him? What, if any, results have been obtained from trying to track cell phone, if attempted?

This case is wacky, IMO. Is the lack of information because Mr. Bankhead is from Raleigh, NC and his car was found abandoned and wrecked in York County, SC?

Does LE even think he was in the vehicle when it crashed? Had it been stolen sooner? If he was in the vehicle when it crashed, he could've suffered a medical event before the crash, or injury/injuries afterward and time is of the essence. I'm not getting a sense of urgency here and it's making me wonder why. I'm also getting a sense of something similar to what happened to Michael Jordan's father, Man convicted of killing Michael Jordan’s father seeking a new trial and I hope that I'm wrong.

ETA: I just found an update on the York County Sheriff's Office webpage--they planned to start a ground search in the area where Mr. bankhead's car was located, in the area of Cureton Ferry Rd. and Pottery Rd. York County Sheriffs, SC | Official Website

ETA2: Google Maps

Last edited:
Video at link.

MISSING: Deputies search for missing Raleigh man after car found in York County
Their focus Wednesday was a ground search for Martin Bankhead. Crews were on horseback, ATVs and on foot looking through the woods off Pottery Road near Cureton Ferry Road.
Deputies said the woods are likely filled with hunting areas and traps for wild animals.
Officials are unaware of any reason why Bankhead would have come to Catawba in the first place.
"We've been told he liked to travel," Trent Faris, with the York County Sheriff's Office, said. "I don't know where he liked to travel, to other states, other countries, why he traveled to Little Catawba. We don't know."

Interesting wording in this article. BBM.

More than 20 York County officers and investigators searched by air, on horseback, with K-9 units and on foot covering about a one-mile radius from where Bankhead's car was found.

“It’s important to us to help bring some closure to that family,” he said.

Bankhead's neighbors also hope his family can get some answers.

You just don’t know what’s going on, our thoughts and prayers are with his family,” neighbor Mike Wierzbicki said.

Authorities said they have no reason to believe Bankhead's disappearance is suspicious, but it remains a mystery tonight.

SC investigators, Raleigh police continue search in Raleigh man's disappearance :: WRAL.com

I am somewhat local, I live in the next county over. There have been no updates as far as I have heard on our local news. The area is rural and not really a pass through to anywhere. I think about him often but unfortunately, being so close to Charlotte, we are consumed with news reports of crime in the city and these stories are soon forgotten about.

I am somewhat local, I live in the next county over. There have been no updates as far as I have heard on our local news. The area is rural and not really a pass through to anywhere. I think about him often but unfortunately, being so close to Charlotte, we are consumed with news reports of crime in the city and these stories are soon forgotten about.

I've searched for updates on various search engines and haven't found anything new. Thanks for your update and welcome to Websleuths!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back