Found Deceased NC - Matt Sullivan Disappeared While Hiking at McAlpine Park in Charlotte

YaYa_521

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
SBM
He is believed to be wearing teal-colored shorts and is described as 62″[sic] weighing 220-225 pounds with brown hair and blue eyes.

SBM
...at McAlpine Creek Park, an expansive park and greenway area off Monroe Road and Independence Boulevard in east Charlotte. [snip] The 114-acre Mecklenburg County park has hiking and bike trails, a lake and fishing pier, soccer fields and a dog park.

Google Maps - McAlpine Creek Park

Do you think he may have had a medical incident or become severely dehydrated?

It doesn't seem like the type of place where you can have a traditional 'hiking' accident, such as a fall from a height or become seriously lost in the wilderness etc.

It looks pretty flat, with wide clear paths and seems like a suburban park with trees and a small lake.

I also wonder about the possibility of suicide.......

MOO.

Last edited:
Do you think he may have had a medical incident or become severely dehydrated?

It doesn't seem like the type of place where you can have a traditional 'hiking' accident, such as a fall from a height or become seriously lost in the wilderness etc.

It looks pretty flat, with wide clear paths and seems like a suburban park with trees and a small lake.

I also wonder about the possibility of suicide.......

MOO.
It seems unlikely he'd have a typical hiking accident such as falling off of a cliff or a rock/mud slide, but a broken ankle, bee sting, snake bite or heart attack, etc. seem plausible. There's also always the possibility he voluntarily disappeared or, God forbid, committed suicide. My most immediate concern though is foul play. Two bodies were found two hundred yards from one another two years ago in this park. Just days earlier they found Van Thien Huynh's murdered remains. I hope for his and his family's sake Matt is found safe quickly.

My most immediate concern though is foul play. Two bodies were found two hundred yards from one another two years ago in this park. Just days earlier they found Van Thien Huynh's murdered remains.
What the..??!?
Oh my.

Do the locals not consider this a dangerous place to do recreational activities in?

If I lived locally I doubt I would venture in there. Three bodies is enough to put me off.

MOO.

What the..??!?
Oh my.

Do the locals not consider this a dangerous place to do recreational activities in?

If I lived locally I doubt I would venture in there. Three bodies is enough to put me off.

MOO.

It appears Mr. Huynh was murdered by a relative. I couldn't find more information regarding the identities or causes of death of the male and female bodies found. According to the article posted below, residents have expressed concerns about their safety in and around the park. Keep in mind that this was in 2020. I'll see what I can find regarding crime in the area over the last two years. Either way, I don't think I'd feel very secure venturing alone around there.:eek:

SBBM
Tuesday, March 3: Police were called to McAlpine Creek Park after a man who was out for a walk discovered a body lying in the creek bed. Authorities said the victim was Van Thien Huynh, 55. He had been reported missing on Feb. 29. Detectives determined that Huynh had been shot. That same day, police arrested a 21-year-old man and charged him with murder. Police said the victim and suspect were relatives.

SBM
Homicide detectives are working with the Medical Examiner’s Office to determine a cause of death. No names have been released and the investigation is ongoing.

SBBM
The deaths are still concerning for neighbors who walk on the McAlpine Greenway daily. [snip] “We did put several security cameras up based on activity we’ve seen,” Chapman said. He had told police about drug deals.

I live in the area and this park/greenway is huge 114 acres of mainly flat walking trails. The paved greenway spans approximately 5 miles along with other trails the entire park spans about 12 miles. There really arent many places where you can fall down a cliff/ravine. It is wooded and you could easily get lost if you wandered off the trails. This park is usually crowded with walkers/bikers/runners on any given day and it is best to traverse it with a companion or group of people. Years ago it was a safe place to enjoy the outdoors.

It seems there have been a few serious incidents besides the ones discussed above at McAlpine Park over the last few years. Reading these makes me worry about Matt's safety. :( MOO

Mar. 14, 2019
SBM
Over the last 48 hours, detectives from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department have responded to two separate incidents where women were targeted during brazen crimes.

Police say a woman was sexually assaulted in South End Wednesday evening while jogging along the light rail path. Then Thursday afternoon two women were robbed at gunpoint in McAlpine Creek Park.

March 25, 2019
SBM
Channel 9 rode with Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers Monday as they patrolled McAlpine Creek Park and Greenway in southeast Charlotte. [snip] When Channel 9 crime-mapped the area within a half-mile radius of the main parking lot, we found officers had received 74 crime reports in the past 90 days. The most serious cases were three reports for assaults involving a gun and three armed robbery reports.

Jun 11, 2021
SBM
Maria and her husband, Francisco, were walking along the trail at McAlpine Creek Park around 6 a.m. in the 8700 block of Monroe Road on Wednesday. Maria was slightly ahead of her husband when someone pulled him over and put a gun to his head, demanding money.

(Same incident)
Jun 11, 2021
SBM
The two victims told responding officers that when they arrived at the park, a male approached them with a gun, demanded money and took the keys. The suspect ran away on foot, then returned, leaving in the victim's vehicle, the CMPD report said.

SpotCrime map showing crime data near McAlpine Park.

I live in the area. There is crime in all parts of Charlotte, generally speaking, like there is in all major US cities these days. The previous stories and crime reports are accurate. There are a lot of people here, so it’s a numbers thing—crimes in parking lots, parks, etc. Myers Park / South Park and south down to Weddington is less crime (and east of the airport and Pineville). But, there are still crimes that occur here and there in the nicer neighborhoods. People are easier targets in parks. I wouldn’t say McAlpine Park is crime-ridden, bit at the same time, I would never go hiking there alone or if vulnerable. It’s sad but the truth. There is a lot of nonsense that goes on in Charlotte and Independence is heavily travelled. I avoid it and Monroe—just feels shady. We can’t know every detail of what may or may not be going on with in MS’s life. We’ll see what happens.

Sad news -- he was found deceased.

A man who was last seen going for a hike in McAlpine Creek Park in southeast Charlotte on Friday was found dead, according to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department.

Authorities said 48-year-old Matt Sullivan told family members that he was going for a hike on Friday and would return in a few hours.

He was last seen at the park on Monroe Road around 1:45 p.m. Friday, a police report stated.

CMPD confirmed Monday that Sullivan was found dead at the park.

There were no signs of foul play, investigators said.

No other information was immediately available.

It’s so sad. 48, geez. Seems as if he had many family members, friends, co workers, etc.
It was warm here last Friday. Not in the 90s like the weeks prior, but if you were in the sun or exerting yourself, it was indeed uncomfortable. I did things outside Fri and Sat, and I had to rest every 30-40 mins for a few mins (I’m early 50s and in good shape). It’s possible.
IF this was a suicide…sigh. Please, please try to reach out to someone if you need help. Just because someone has people in their life, money, whatever…people can still have pain or unhapiness. We’ve discussed this many times before.
I hope they can find some peace. <3

This is such a sad update. I was hoping Matt had simply broken an ankle which left him unable to walk to get help but would be found soon or he left for a few days to spend some time alone. My thoughts go out to all who love him. Rest in peace, Matt. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back