NC - McKenzie Sessoms, 11, murdered, Salemburg, 6 Sept 2013 *suspect in custody*

Another article with comments from the medical examiner:

"...Dr. Carl Barr went on record with his findings late Wednesday afternoon, saying an autopsy performed on the child indicated that she had most likely been smothered.

“Several factors led me to this conclusion,” Dr. Barr said. “They were striking kinds of findings, like the discoloration in her face and multiple areas of hemorrhaging, petechial hemorrhaging (a form of mild hemorrhage which causes distinctive markings known as petechiae). It leads me to believe she was smothered, probably by a pillow that was found adjacent to her head.” "

http://www.clintonnc.com/news/home_...ME:-Sburg-child-likely-smothered#.U209rNq9KK0

Another article with comments from the medical examiner:

"...Dr. Carl Barr went on record with his findings late Wednesday afternoon, saying an autopsy performed on the child indicated that she had most likely been smothered.

“Several factors led me to this conclusion,” Dr. Barr said. “They were striking kinds of findings, like the discoloration in her face and multiple areas of hemorrhaging, petechial hemorrhaging (a form of mild hemorrhage which causes distinctive markings known as petechiae). It leads me to believe she was smothered, probably by a pillow that was found adjacent to her head.” "

http://www.clintonnc.com/news/home_...ME:-Sburg-child-likely-smothered#.U209rNq9KK0

I see from this article it explains why Mckenzie was sleeping on the couch,her room was being renovated.

Where did he live prior to moving in with his father and grandfather next door to Mckenzie? Was there any kind of violent behavior in the past? How does a child go from being a good kid to rape and murder? It does not happen over night.

bbm

Where did this questioning occur? At his home? At the Sheriff's Dept? If it occurred at home, was a parent/grandparent/other adult present? If at the SD, did no one go there with him? Was he alone when he was arrested? Would his consent to answer questions be legit if he had no adult/legal representation? We need more answers -- but I'm afraid we'll never get 'em -- or maybe they will come out in the trial -- if there is one. A plea? Is the County DA capable and sharp?

I just hope that LE was extra-careful about the questioning and getting a sample of his DNA. A good defense atty is going to start with that and be relentless, IMO. <smh>

I have no experience in trials involving a minor -- what kind of sentences are they allowed to give?I'll try to do a bit of research in the NCGS. Will he be released when he is 18 y/o? I've seen that before in MSM.

I don't like any of this so far.... I worry, I worry.
icon9.gif

At this point, eight months after this child's murder," I just have to believe the sheriff made sure things were done to stand up to legal standards. I'm not going to believe the kid's fam/friends who might say anything to deflect blame. If the DNA is definitive, they can sing the blues all day long and scream "I was confused, woe is me, unfair!" Because if he entered that home, raped and killed mckenzie, he needs to be locked up forever so he doesn't hurt anyone else. The sheriff just can't be so stupid as to have jeopardized this case by cutting corners. Right?

I also don't believe that Tuesday was the first time LE spoke to this kid. It sounds like there were problems with him that should have raised a red flag immediately when she was found dead. They must have talked to him or his family previously. He lived next door!

As for how they obtained his DNA sample, good question. Which flashes me back to Jason Williford's circumstances. That sob is appealing his conviction because of the way they obtained his DNA. Maybe his conviction should be thrown out and the State can retry him AGAIN WITH THE DEATH PENALTY, without mercy this time, since he's obviously not repentant enough to do his LWOP. What does he want, to go free? :banghead: but I digress...
http://www.wral.com/new-trial-sought-in-murder-of-state-board-of-ed-member/13608912/

Anyway, until I hear otherwise, I just need to keep the faith that LE took the right steps. :please: (but yes, I too, worry!)

[modsnip]

Hmmm, cuffem. [modsnip] The LEO's went around a neighborhood here in Raleigh (when Kathy Taft was raped & killed) and asked all the men for a DNA sample. One neighbor refused to give his DNA and had no questions about the case -- how was it going; any leads, etc. -- and LE put him on the top of the list, watched him, picked up his discarded cigarette and it was a match to DNA at the murder scene, the trial, etc., and he is now in prison for life... although there is an appeal in the works...

So who knows? I do know that LE is much smarter than some folks think they are....

You're a good, smart Sleuth, cuffem! We'll all keep our ears to the ground. This ain't over yet...

:truce:[modsnip]

Hmmmm. If the "rowdy gathering" didn't occur, then the autopsy report is incorrect and the older brother's actions are misstated. bbm below:

"Although Thornton would not provide details about the investigation, he did say the potential suspect pool consisted of more than a dozen people and investigators conducted numerous interviews and collected and processed evidence that included DNA.

According to an autopsy report released in November, Sessoms had been sexually assaulted and suffocated.

The report also noted that the younger of her two brothers &#8211; whom she and her father lived with at their home on Hairr Lane &#8211; had a "rowdy gathering" of friends outside their home on the night of Sept. 5 and that her oldest brother woke up from sleep to quiet the group before returning to bed around midnight."
http://www.wral.com/juvenile-charge...ear-old-s-death/13625460/#mRWdSYWt9vFvk9sk.99

There was a segment on the 4pm news on WTVD today about Mckenzie's murder. I don't see anything online, but will summarize what was said:

- Mckenzie's autopsy report was released today, some details are disturbing
- she was sexually assaulted within hours before she died
- cause of death was homicidal asphyxia
- her neck had been severely twisted
- the autopsy report said the brothers threw a party outside, but it is not clear whether Mckenzie got up and went to the party after she went to bed that night

Thanks everyone for the reports. This is going to be a tough one, I can tell. [modsnip]. Do we have access to the autopsy report that confirms it happened?

I want to read as much as I can before having a judgment on the suspect. I don't want to go foot in mouth just yet. I find something is not quite right. Not sure what though.

Thanks everyone for the reports. This is going to be a tough one, I can tell. [modsnip] . Do we have access to the autopsy report that confirms it happened?

I want to read as much as I can before having a judgment on the suspect. I don't want to go foot in mouth just yet. I find something is not quite right. Not sure what though.

Hola, my little chiq-a-dee! I have just been digging around for a copy of the autopsy report since it has supposedly been released, but no luck yet. I'll keep digging...

Suspect Antonio Trey Jones will be tried as an adult for rape and murder and is being held on a $2M bond. Yes, that's two million. I hope that all involved pay dearly for the horror wreaked upon this child, and which her loved ones now have to deal with.

http://www.thesampsonweekly.com/uploads/Issue_35_Aug_29-2014.pdf

http://www.clintonnc.com/news/break...79/Juvenile-to-be-tried-as-adult#.VAImK9q9KK0

Here is a recent Sampson County newspaper article about the case & the alleged perp being charged as an adult.

http://www.thesampsonweekly.com/uploads/Issue_35_Aug_29-2014.pdf

I have also done another search for the autopsy report for MMS and couldn't find one...

Thank you both for the links! I'm so glad they were working on this albeit QUIETLY....

Thank you Boodles and Borndem for the update. This is good but it gives me pain to come here.
I had my doubts about the investigation but all involved did a great job solving Mckenzie's rape and murder.Bless them,this must have been a painful case for them too.

As far as the seizures,that is a new one.

A suspect, 14 y/o, was identified, and I have looked in MSM using his name, but have found nothing. There is nothing in the MSM under her name other than a suspect being found, as of 2014 - I have found nothing on his name, and that name is not listed by the NC Dept of Public Safety, i.e., the state prison system. Her hometown is so small -- they don't seem to have a newspaper, and The Fayetteville Observer, which does report Salemburg news has nothing beyond 2914,

One more thing - his name is not listed in the list of Sampson County Jail inmates. So who knoze?? Very disappointing. That little girl should have received some kind of justice by now. And maybe she has received justice, but it hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I can find it.

Here is the link to the most recent article that I can find:

http://abc11.com/archive/9530273/

I sent an email to the Sampson independent news paper. I will let everyone know if they respond

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back