GUILTY NC - Melissa Huggins-Jones, 30, murdered in her Raleigh home, 14 May 2013

I believe the news reported that the woman is Redden's mother.

Redden seemed to have an "attitude" IMO. While the 2 guys appeared to act respectful (saying "ma'am"' etc.), Redden was different. Just my observation. I'm not inclined to feel sorry for her because she's the youngest and female. Who knows what the dynamics were between them?

(And sorry to be snarky, but what's up with the judge referring to them as ma'am and sir, and saying "thank you" to these people? "Dismissed" seems more fitting.)

Something also to consider. This isn't the first rodeo for the two men in a courtroom, they probably know the routine and figure it's better to be polite than not. The girl gives me the impression of a young (18 yr old) person who thinks they know it all and thinks their indestructable.

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the thread ... computer problems ...
I am so relieved they have people in custody for this crime.
I was shocked to know there were 3 of them though!
I wondered if they were all present in the apartment at the time of the murder -

Prayers to the family of Melissa.
:rose:

I am anxious to find out what it was that was worth taking her life.

I think they were merely stoopid & scared & they panicked. If it had been only one burglar in that apt, it might have turned out differently, laces.

Did she wake up and go where they were and startle them? Did they walk in on her reading in bed? Did they go into her bedroom looking for loot & panic?

There are three of them... you know the attys for each of them is telling him/her to talk to the ADA and spill his/her gutz & go state's evidence for a lesser plea. One of them is bound to get smart & start talking. Hope so.

The oldest one, Anthony, has been convicted of several felonies dating back to Jan, 2008, and has served time. We don't really want this guy to try to plead out -- it's likely that he was the leader of this little allegedly murderous group.

We'll see. I hope the DA's office wants to really sock it to these folks, if indeed they are the ones who did it.

A life for a television or a computer or a kid's video game box or something?

And her brave little daughter has no mom now, and she has some horrible nightmare material. I hope she is in good hands now & every day from now on, and I hope she is receiving therapy already.
icon8.gif

Noticed that the woman was handcuffed, the two men were not. Why would that be? Is she considered more dangerous?

What else struck me is that Smith is such a normal looking, friendly looking guy imo. It just makes it all the more frightening that seemingly anybody can turn into a murderer. moo

A few times the camera focused on a lady sitting on the side, she was close to tears. Is that Melissa's mother?

I went back & watched it again, Elainera, and the woman got very upset when Sarah Redden was brought into the courtroom. I'm thinking it was Redden's mom.

No way to be sure, Elainera....
icon7.gif

The two guyz already have records, and Smith is serving an active sentence now for receiving a stolen vehicle. They found him due to trying to find him for the murder charge.

No bail for the 3 of them.

All three of them requested attorney representation from the Public Defender's Office.

These youngun's are in Big Trouble.

Probable Cause hearing is scheduled at 9:00am EDT, on June 12, '13, for all 3 of 'em.

According to zelmajane's link above, the killers also robbed an apartment below Melissa's. They sole an orange Lenovo laptop, which was later listed for sale on Craigslist by another party. This eventually gets them caught.

Thank God criminals are not usually very smart.

Like an orange laptop is not gonna stick out... I bet the 3 rd party who listed it, then found out how hot is was that is why he was a no show to the cops sting.

According to zelmajane's link above, the killers also robbed an apartment below Melissa's. They sole an orange Lenovo laptop, which was later listed for sale on Craigslist by another party. This eventually gets them caught.

Exactly! colette and zelmajane! LE does look at pawn shop lists & other buy/sell places every day...

How utterly & just plain stoopid is that? Maybe they were smart enuff not to try to go to a pawnshop... or maybe they got turned down when they went to one... but Craigslist?? Dayam. That is a world-class pick for the Dumb Club, IMO. (But they are to be considered innocent at this time, so maybe they "found" it sitting on the pavement in a grocery store parking lot and had no idea that it was hot. If so, that's another nomination -- for the Bad Luck Club...)

But -- maybe one of them is smart enuff to go to the DA's office or to spill the beans to an investigator to try to get a deal by blabbing and selling the other two out... This is bound to happen, IMO. So we just wait... and let the LEO's dig a bigger hole for them...

Regarding her facebook page: she did NOT delete it because of her ex-husband. She wanted some privacy as she started her new life in NC. She was very popular and did not want everyone to know everytime she was back in Cleveland or Chattanooga for business. Yes, she was originally from NC and was excited for a fresh start and being closer to her family.

Regarding her son Noah, my understanding is that he was not entering the same school as Hannah. It was the recommendation of the new school not to transfer him so late in the school year. I believe Noah was expected to attend a private school there. Regarding her daughter, Hannah, she won't talk about that night....even with family. I have heard that she did wake up to what sounded like a single scream but she wasn't sure if it was a dream or if was coming from down the road. That is all she was willing to say. Can't say that I blame her.

COD was blunt force trauma to the face/head. If what I have been told is true, she was also stabbed.....repeatedly. Maybe at the evidentiary hearing this Wednesday it will be confirmed or denied. I pray this isn't the case. Thank the Lord she was NOT raped or sexually assaulted in any way. I believe TOD was approximately 3AM.

Her cellphone was taken from the apartment as well as a few "other items". I have not been told what the other items were.

I have been told that the new building had some gremlins in the AC unit and it was quite warm that night. She was waiting for them to repair it. She had left the sliding glass door open hoping to let a breeze in. She felt she was in a safe enough neighborhood to do that.

Regarding Melissa the woman (in lieu of Melissa the homicide victim) she was a vibrant intelligent woman. She was a great mother and friend. She was excellent at her job and loved by her staff and her superiors. She was a southern Christian woman through and through. There is no greater tragedy than this.

Welcome Bankgirl1 and thanks for the inside info. I am sorry for the loss of your friend, very sad.

The killers actually sold the laptop to another person who then listed it on Craigslist. After LE called and set up a time to get the laptop he didn't show. I figured he found out where it came from by that time. The killers did not list it.

Yes, the laptop belonged to the residents of the apartment below hers. She "may" have had a laptop stolen as well but the orange one on Craig's list was not hers. All I can confirm stolen was her phone.

Oh, and there wasn't anyone else living there. Just her and Hannah.

Very interesting! I was over on 6 Forks today, and drove by the apartment. There was a police car parked on the street in front (with no one in it). I was surprised by their continued presence there. I didn't turn into the parking lot.

So RPD did the checkpoint at the same day of the week and time range during when Melissa would have been killed (Mon nite/Tues AM). Hmmm.

Hiya, Boods! :seeya: I remember that the RPD did the same thing on Oberlin & Cartier just after the rape/murder of Kathy Taft, before her slayer was arrested. They staked-out between ~11:00pm -- 3:00pm and spoke to drivers, etc., and handed out flyers for a couple of nights. I guess that's just what they do, to raise awareness ("Did you see anyone or anything unusual that night or anytime around that date in this area...?" and maybe get lucky...

I guess that's just what they do, especially in a city with a neighborhood surrounding the crime scene area. Makes sense ...

Regarding her facebook page: she did NOT delete it because of her ex-husband. She wanted some privacy as she started her new life in NC. She was very popular and did not want everyone to know everytime she was back in Cleveland or Chattanooga for business. Yes, she was originally from NC and was excited for a fresh start and being closer to her family.

Regarding her son Noah, my understanding is that he was not entering the same school as Hannah. It was the recommendation of the new school not to transfer him so late in the school year. I believe Noah was expected to attend a private school there. Regarding her daughter, Hannah, she won't talk about that night....even with family. I have heard that she did wake up to what sounded like a single scream but she wasn't sure if it was a dream or if was coming from down the road. That is all she was willing to say. Can't say that I blame her.

COD was blunt force trauma to the face/head. If what I have been told is true, she was also stabbed.....repeatedly. Maybe at the evidentiary hearing this Wednesday it will be confirmed or denied. I pray this isn't the case. Thank the Lord she was NOT raped or sexually assaulted in any way. I believe TOD was approximately 3AM.

Her cellphone was taken from the apartment as well as a few "other items". I have not been told what the other items were.

I have been told that the new building had some gremlins in the AC unit and it was quite warm that night. She was waiting for them to repair it. She had left the sliding glass door open hoping to let a breeze in. She felt she was in a safe enough neighborhood to do that.

Regarding Melissa the woman (in lieu of Melissa the homicide victim) she was a vibrant intelligent woman. She was a great mother and friend. She was excellent at her job and loved by her staff and her superiors. She was a southern Christian woman through and through. There is no greater tragedy than this.

Thank you Bankgirl! This is just heartbreaking. I feel for Melissa and all who loved her, and especially for her daughter. How hard this must be for her, I can't even begin to imagine! She is old enough to fully comprehend what happened while she was in the next room. Terrible, just terrible! I hope in time she can work through the psychological trauma and find peace.

May those responsible rot in h***!

The evidentiary hearing was supposed to be this morning. Is there when and where the suspects make their plea? I am knew to this. I went to local news sites to try to get information but haven't found anything yet.

Autopsy (not included in this article) details violence in killing of North Hills woman

Apparently they -- whichever one(s) -- went at her pretty harshly. Why?

It's often acts like this -- undue/unnecessary violence -- that can be parlayed into asking for the DP. I think only one of the ones arrested would qualify, but it happens. Those kids are in a lot of trouble if they are indeed the killers -- and rightly so, IMO.

http://www.wral.com/autopsy-details-violence-in-killing-of-north-hills-woman/12579522/

Autopsy (not included in this article) details violence in killing of North Hills woman

Apparently they -- whichever one(s) -- went at her pretty harshly. Why?

It's often acts like this -- undue/unnecessary violence -- that can be parlayed into asking for the DP. I think only one of the ones arrested would qualify, but it happens. Those kids are in a lot of trouble if they are indeed the killers -- and rightly so, IMO.

http://www.wral.com/autopsy-details-violence-in-killing-of-north-hills-woman/12579522/

Just curious: but why do you think only one would qualify? I am thinking that at least 2 of them attacked her directly. She had stabbing and blunt wounds. I think she was fighting off more than one assailant and more than one weapon. My gut feeling based on what I've been hearing....she was initially attacked by one and fought like the devil. He got reinforcements. She didn't. I expect the girl hung back and watched it all go down.

Just curious: but why do you think only one would qualify? I am thinking that at least 2 of them attacked her directly. She had stabbing and blunt wounds. I think she was fighting off more than one assailant and more than one weapon. My gut feeling based on what I've been hearing....she was initially attacked by one and fought like the devil. He got reinforcements. She didn't. I expect the girl hung back and watched it all go down.

bbm

Hi, and Welcome! BankGirl1!! We're glad you've joined us!

I was having one of my d'oh moments when I said that only one of the suspects would be eligible for the DP -- somehow I had it that someone had to be 21 y/o to be eligible for the DP, but -- of course -- d'oh -- it is 18. So yes, they would qualify, BankGirl. No idea what kinda of fog came over me, but thanks for seeing, so that I could speak up...

I want to see the autopsy report for myself to see & read the details -- from what the article said about the A/R, sounds like her wounds were cruel and mostly unnecessary for a "simple" killing.

And why kill her at all? Why didn't they just sneak back out when they saw her? As I said before, if these people are indeed the perps, they are in a horrible situation for the rest of their lives.

And they left two young children with no mother for the rest of their lives, and they stole this young woman's life from her for a few hundred (?) bucks worth of unnecessary stuff.
icon8.gif

ty for the update on this case SteveP

RALEIGH, N.C. — A Wake County judge on Thursday set a $1 million bond for a 19-year-old murder suspect who's agreed to testify against her two co-defendants – both facing a possible death sentence for killing a young mother inside her Raleigh apartment a year ago.

Sarah Rene Redden – charged in the May 14, 2013, death of 30-year-old Melissa Huggins-Jones – asked for a $250,000 bond so she could get out of jail to be with her young daughter. But Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens denied the request, opting for the higher bond amount, he said, because he is concerned for her safety.

Read more at http://www.wral.com/19-year-old-sus...lls-murder-case/13629062/#MtpYeUiqM3Ms48c6.99

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back