Recovered/Located NC - Oliver Baker Jr., 65, went to walk his dog, Shelby, Cleveland County, 31 May 2019

Oliver%20Baker%20Jr._1559423038189.jpg_15445424_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

SHELBY, N.C. - Shelby Police said a man there went missing while walking his dog Friday morning and hasn’t been seen since.

The search is now on for Oliver Baker Jr., who was last seen around 10:30 a.m. Friday along T.R. Harris Drive in Shelby. Police did not say whether the dog has been located.

Baker was reportedly wearing blue jeans and a white shirt. He is a 65-year-old man, standing 5-feet-4-inches tall and weighing 320 pounds.

Our news partners at the Shelby Star report the department has used multiple search parties along with a helicopter and drones to search for Baker. He was last seen wearing a red shirt and black shorts.

Anyone with information on where Baker might be is asked to call SPD Lt. John Hamrick at (704) 484-6845.

Anonymous tips can also be called into Crime Stoppers at (704) 481-8477.

As of Sunday evening, the Shelby Police Department had not reported any new leads in the case.

SEARCH FOR MISSING NORTH CAROLINA MAN: Shelby man goes missing while walking dog

Who, exactly, saw him walking the dog?

Maybe no one. He was gone, the leash was gone and the dog. His vehicle must still be there (if he drives) his family must know his routine. If there are no cameras and confirmation of actually seeing him, only assumptions, for all we know he could have gotten into car with someone and took his doggie along. I think his son is basing it on missing dog, leash and father when he went there. His wife was recovering from surgery so probably on pain killers sleeping it off. That is probably what the unresponsiveness was, but better be safe than sorry. SO she certainly cannot account for when Oliver stepped out, etc.

According to reports, Mark Baker’s wife went by the home and saw that the door was open. He went by several hours later to check on his parents and found his dad’s keys and cell phone.

He also found his mother unresponsive due to complications from a recent surgery, according to Capt. Steve Seate.

When Shelby Police arrived, EMS also had to be called to check on Oliver’s wife.

Investigators searched the area near the Bakers’ home in a senior apartment complex behind Leona Neal Senior Center by air and land. Over time, the search area has widened, Seate said.

Oliver Baker’s family was unavailable for comment.

Last edited:
I'm going to go with him leaving by car. Someone he knew picked him and the doggie up, and off they went. We know he was in no condition to go hiking off into the countryside, for hours on end. He would have stuck to the main thoroughfare as he was walking his dog.

Very, very weird.

His condition: he took the dog out to pee and back, period. I think the son in panic just assumed the dog walk. I have a friend younger, 250 lbs that can not even walk down the street. God forgive me. I may not take my keys when I walk my dogs but always my phone.

"Oliver Baker’s family was unavailable for comment" Perhaps he left of his own volition. He got his wife through the surgery and he left with someone. If he was in the area he would have been found by now.

Last edited:
Also reported was wearing a red shirt with jeans. How do they know that. Was he seen by someone? Did his wife ascertain that was missing or did she remember what he had on that morning. Also no report what type of doggie he had so locals could be on the look out. This whole thing is odd, "RADIO SILENCE" from the family.

A man AND dog didn't just vanish into thin air while walking near their home unable to be found!

And...yeah... I sure don't leave my door open when I take my dog for a walk, either. I wonder if that means actually hanging open, or just unlocked?

MOO

A man AND dog didn't just vanish into thin air while walking near their home unable to be found!

And...yeah... I sure don't leave my door open when I take my dog for a walk, either. I wonder if that means actually hanging open, or just unlocked?

MOO
Especially with a red shirt that is 300 lbs.

I am thinking there is a screen/storm door then a solid front door. The daughter in law passed saw the inside door was opened and told the husband "well they must be there the door was opened" so then the son went over a few hours later to see why he didn't get answer on the phone.

If there was only one solid door opened when the daughter in law went by, I would like to think she would have called the police or security to go in with her or the son would have immediately went over. I believe she saw the inside door exposing the screen, so the son didn't seem too alarmed and may have thought the phone was out or the ringer was turned off so his mom could rest.

Especially with a red shirt that is 300 lbs.

I am thinking there is a screen/storm door then a solid front door. The daughter in law passed saw the inside door was opened and told the husband "well they must be there the door was opened" so then the son went over a few hours later to see why he didn't get answer on the phone.

If there was only one solid door opened when the daughter in law went by, I would like to think she would have called the police or security to go in with her or the son would have immediately went over. I believe she saw the inside door exposing the screen, so the son didn't seem too alarmed and may have thought the phone was out or the ringer was turned off so his mom could rest.

Totally makes sense...bet you're right.

It seems by now the doggie would have come back home, unless he/she is the type dog to stay with master if he's injured or worse. I really think my dog would have made her way home at this point, hungry. Not that she isn't loyal and faithful to the end...lol....but...?

The mother recently had surgery.
Not answering the phone.
Wife got close enough to see the door was “open” - wondered if she called while she was there.
Several hours later the son goes to check on his parents.
JMO - with elderly parents and the above going on, I would have gone in or called the property manager or if I couldn’t get there - I would have done a welfare check.
I’ve done it before and they found my mom on the floor with a broken leg.

Also reported was wearing a red shirt with jeans. How do they know that. Was he seen by someone? Did his wife ascertain that was missing or did she remember what he had on that morning. Also no report what type of doggie he had so locals could be on the look out. This whole thing is odd, "RADIO SILENCE" from the family.

I agree. Actually he was also reported wearing red shirt with black shorts and in same article white shirt with blue jeans too?All so confusing, and nothing from family. :(

SO then maybe no one saw him, they were guessing at what he was wearing that day. Th only other thing could be he left with the dog and ended up in another apartment there and something happened. But most likely left in a vehicle with someone.

Hi all, I keep checking in to see if there’s anything new about Mr. Baker’s whereabouts & like some of you have stated, it’s just silence. I was thinking about those early morning drunk drivers and maybe he could have been hit. I personally haven’t heard of a drunk driver removing a victim’s body, much less one of his size accompanied by doggy so it’s probably unlikely. I’m sure the searchers were looking for that kinda thing anyway. I hope there’s been no foul play and both are found safe. MOO

His condition: he took the dog out to pee and back, period. I think the son in panic just assumed the dog walk. I have a friend younger, 250 lbs that can not even walk down the street. God forgive me. I may not take my keys when I walk my dogs but always my phone.

"Oliver Baker’s family was unavailable for comment" Perhaps he left of his own volition. He got his wife through the surgery and he left with someone. If he was in the area he would have been found by now.
I've also seen people weigh over 300 lbs and do 5 K race walking. Do we know that this man physically isn't capable of walking far? Does he have a medical condition or an injury that would make it impossible for him to walk the dog for long periods of time?

This just has a funky feel to it. Like someone knew the wife was unresponsive and the man and dog disappears without a trace? The son's wife goes by, sees the door open, yet it took several hours before someone went in their home to check on them?

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire