NC NC - Rhonda Hinson, 19, Burke County, 22 Dec 1981

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by TedMac, Dec 22, 2015.

1. TedMac

TedMac Well-Known Member

Mods: I couldn't find a thread on this case. If one does exist, please delete this.

34 years ago today

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/2...4-year-old-cold-case-murder.html?intcmp=hpbt1

"On the night of Tuesday, Dec. 22, 1981, Bobby and Judy Hinson of Valdese, N.C., kissed their 19-year-old daughter Rhonda goodbye as she left home to attend an office holiday party at a nearby American Legion Hall. Hours later, her body was discovered in a ditch less than a mile from her parents' home, and alongside her car.

Investigators found Rhonda had been shot with a high-powered bullet that tore through the rear of her beige Datsun 210, striking her in the back. Who murdered Rhonda — and why — remains a mystery, though 34 years later to the day that they last saw their daughter alive, Rhonda's parents and local law enforcement officials still cling to faint hope that her killer can be brought to justice."

2. Loading...

3. Nurse_Bridges1984

Nurse_Bridges1984 New Member

A friend and fellow websleuther just sent me this. Very interesting case. What are your thoughts?

34 years ago today

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/2...4-year-old-cold-case-murder.html?intcmp=hpbt1

"On the night of Tuesday, Dec. 22, 1981, Bobby and Judy Hinson of Valdese, N.C., kissed their 19-year-old daughter Rhonda goodbye as she left home to attend an office holiday party at a nearby American Legion Hall. Hours later, her body was discovered in a ditch less than a mile from her parents' home, and alongside her car.

Investigators found Rhonda had been shot with a high-powered bullet that tore through the rear of her beige Datsun 210, striking her in the back. Who murdered Rhonda — and why — remains a mystery, though 34 years later to the day that they last saw their daughter alive, Rhonda's parents and local law enforcement officials still cling to faint hope that her killer can be brought to justice."[/QUOTE]

4. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

Are they sure that this isn't a hunting accident?

5. Tulessa

1450809456643.jpg

A picture of Rhonda.

6. STANDREID

STANDREID A slacker when slacker wasn't cool

It could have been an accident but I would think that would be much more likely if the shot was through the side door. Coming from behind, it looks like someone could have been following her in another vehicle. It was also in the middle of the night. The case is sort of a modern version of "The Green Bicycle Mystery".

7. TedMac

TedMac Well-Known Member

Possibly. Very few killers use high-powered rifles. However, most hunters aren't hunting between 12 midnight and 1:00 am when Hinson was killed. This case has similarities to the David Metzler/Heidi Childs murder in VA in 2009. They also were shot with a high-powered rifle and the killings were seemingly motiveless-just like this one. Metzler was also shot while in his vehicle while Childs, like Hinson was shot in the back.

8. Tulessa

Shhhhh! Yes they are. ;) It's called poaching. I've reported a couple of them.

9. cgon4872

cgon4872 New Member

I wonder if this could've been a case of road rage gone bad. I can't imagine someone would shoot someone in a car for no reason, even though it unfortunately does happen.

10. Betty P

Betty P Well-Known Member

The linked article states she was found in a ditch outside her car and that, due to her injuries, she wouldn't have been able to exit the car on her own.

So, whoever shot her also stopped and pulled her out of the car and into the ditch. It also states her boyfriend was angry at her for going to the party. Wonder why? Was he the jealous, suspicious type?

I hope this can be solved.

11. Vaden

Vaden Member

Poaching is not hunting. Poaching is poaching. Don't confuse sportsmen with criminals