NC - Sabrina Buie, 11, raped & murdered, Red Springs, 25 Sept 1983

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by zwiebel, Sep 3, 2014.

1. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

'A pair of siblings who served decades behind bars in the rape and murder of a North Carolina child will walk out of prison free men Wednesday after DNA evidence implicated someone else.
    Henry McCollum and Leon Brown were just teenagers when they were arrested in 1983 and charged with the rape and murder of 11-year-old Sabrina Buie in Red Springs...'

'DNA found on a cigarette "matched another individual named Roscoe Artis, a convicted rapist and murderer who lived less than 100 yards from where the victim's body was found," said a statement from McCollum's and Brown's attorneys.
    Artis is serving a life sentence in a North Carolina prison on a separate conviction.'

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/09/02/j...-dna-frees-convicts/index.html?iref=allsearch

'The day-long evidence hearing included testimony from Sharon Stellato. The associate director of the North Carolina Innocence Inquiry Commission discussed three interviews she had over the summer with the 74-year-old inmate, who was convicted of assaulting three other women and now suspected of killing Buie.'

'According to Stellato, the inmate said at first he didn't know Buie. But in later interviews, he said the girl would come to his house and buy cigarettes for him.'

'The man also told them he saw the girl the night she went missing and gave her a coat and hat because it was raining, Stellato said. He told the commission that's why his DNA may have been at the scene. Stellato said weather records show it didn't rain the night Buie went missing or the next day.'

'Stellato also said the man repeatedly told her McCollum and Brown are innocent....Still, he denied involvement in the killing, Stellato said.'

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...in-prison-for-30-years-seek.html#.VAbs6csaySM

2. Loading...

3. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

'Court documents show the results of the DNA testing that the commission ordered on materials gathered at the scene of Buie’s murder. All the items tested – including her panties and other items of clothes, hairs collected from her shoes, sticks used in the killing, three Schlitz Malt Liquor cans and the butt of a Newport cigarette – excluded McCollum or Brown. However, the tests did manage to produce a partial DNA profile from the cigarette butt that was consistent with having come from an unidentified male.'

'At the commission’s request, that DNA profile was then put through the national DNA database, known as CODIS, and in July a positive match was attained, connecting the cigarette butt to Roscoe Artis. When lawyers began looking into the life history of Artis, they discovered startling details.'

Young Sabrina was horribly murdered by being suffocated with her own clothing rammed into her throat with a stick. :( It won't seem right if a new prosecution isn't brought in this case. It hasn't been decided yet.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/02/dna-evidence-north-carolina-death-mccollum-brown-artis

4. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect New Member

From your link Z, ty, :)

"It's terrifying that our justice system allowed two intellectually disabled children to go to prison for a crime they had nothing to do with, and then to suffer there for 30 years," said Ken Rose, a lawyer with the Center for Death Penalty Litigation.
    "It's impossible to put into words what these men have been through and how much they have lost."

This says it all.

5. bflocket

bflocket Well-Known Member

I came across this case by chance and looked up Sabrina here to find this thread. I'd clicked on a link from another thread that turned out to be a dead link. It turned out to go to a "Page Not Found" on WITN.com, but there was a Breaking News banner for Two Men Convicted In Child's Murder To Be Freed From Prison After 30 Years.

I kind of tried to research the case backward.
    I knew that two that were convicted of killing here weren't the ones responsible and that there was a "good idea" of who it really was. I just haven't (yet) found out much about the actual crime (or Sabrina herself). The Guardian link above had the most detail about Sabrina that I've seen.

There were a few things about juveniles on Death Row related to McCollum and Brown. Those weren't about their innocence, mainly just concerning their ages when convicted.

I will try to keep looking.

It's heartbreaking in hindsight, but Mr McCollum said the ABSOLUTE MOST PERFECT WORDS EVER UTTERED to a prosecutor by a falsely accused/convicted person. Why more people don't say the same thing is beyond me.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...VZOAAAAIBAJ&sjid=pRMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1926,7768753

6. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Well-Known Member

I read about this yesterday and it is so heartbreaking to think of those 2 innocent men in prison for 30 years. I'm very, very glad they can have their freedom now and to know they won't die in prison. But, so much of their lives has been taken from them.

7. Tulessa

Tulessa Well-Known Member

I hope they have to pay these two out the wazoo!

8. Sarahlou

Sarahlou Member

Awful. Thank goodness they weren't given the death penalty. 30 years in jail is terrible though.

9. bflocket

You might be even more thankful that they WERE sentenced to DEATH (at least Brown was).
    There's no need for this type of thing happening! I would've said "In this day and age," but not enough time has passed to write it off as something that people "used to do."

These two men were apparently "slow" (how badly, I do not know) and got Capital punishment for something they didn't do.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...ToeAAAAIBAJ&sjid=674EAAAAIBAJ&pg=6967,1039567

10. bflocket

Here are links to two good articles about this. One is from NY Daily News. The other is from Time.

The Daily News article talks about conversations with the likely real killer, but doesn't mention his name. It has a couple good pics, of Brown (on Death Row at the time) and the DA at his desk, from 1987.

Time mentions "the inmate's" name. The DNA tested that was found on a cigarette at the crime scene came back as belonging to Roscoe Artis. None of the DNA obtained from the crime scene matched Brown or McCollum. Buie was murdered a block from Artis' home. He is currently serving a life sentence for another rape/murder within weeks of Buie's murder.

Judge overturns two North Carolina men’s convictions in 1983 killing (NY Daily News, Sept 2, 2014)

("the Inmate" mentioned in the story is Roscoe Artis)

Judge Frees 2 North Carolina Men Imprisoned for 30 Years (Time, Sept 2, 2014

11. bflocket

Just found this article about Buie's family's reaction to all of this from 11 Eyewitness News (ABC, Raleigh). It also has the first picture of Sabrina that I'd seen.

The video is basically a small rundown of the case and an interview with Buie's sister. The family is surely on an emotional roller-coaster right now. The sister still thinks that Brown and McCollum have some tie to Buie's murder, from the way it sounds.

SABRINA BUIE FAMILY: "IT FEELS LIKE HELL"

12. bflocket

‘Free at last!’ DNA evidence clears brothers of rape and murder of North Carolina girl after 30 years in prison (National Post, Sept 3, 2014)

13. Tawny

Tawny Bye

This is absolutely tragic.

14. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Well-Known Member

ITA. It could potentially have been even more tragic if McCollum had been executed or if he and Brown had died while incarcerated. I hope they will use the remainder of their lives to the fullest extent of their abilities. It's truly by the grace of God that McCollum is still alive considering he had been on death row longer than any other inmate.

15. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/08/u...ritt-a-dogged-ex-prosecutor-digs-in.html?_r=0

16. Snoods

Snoods Active Member

ETA: I thought I had quoted saralou's post about if they were given the death penalty, my bad.

Could you imagine? This makes me feel sick to my stomach.

Would we even know about this if they were put to death though? That's a scary thought. I only remember one case in which a convicted man had his DNA tested by the Innocence Project after his execution, which confirmed his guilt. Roger Coleman.

Thank goodness we have DNA now so wrongful convictions like this aren't as likely to happen.

Roger Coleman, he was convicted of the rape and murder of Wanda McCoy, he had a whole lot of people believing in his innocence. Pretty interesting case:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/01/12/AR2006011201210.html

17. PrimeSuspect

PrimeSuspect New Member

Interesting read Snood, Coleman was guilty after all and luckily it was proven beyond a doubt.

18. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/...utor-weighs-reopening-infamous-case/15406617/