NC - Shaniya Davis, 5, Fayetteville, 10 Nov 2009 - Allegedly sold by mother #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we have ever established he had legal custody of her.

My understanding is that BL has stated that there was no formal custody agreement. One article stated that there was no record of any custody disputes in Cumberland County's court records.

BL is her father. I do not know if he is listed as such on her birth certificate or not - that would be interesting to know. But as long as he and AD were able to cooperatively work out Shaniya's custody, I guess a court order would not be necessary, would it? So, legally, maybe it could be characterized as a joint or shared custody arrangement.

Taken from the Oprah Interview transcript. We'll all interpeting his statements, but I interpret that Shaniya was with both AD and Brad after the first year.

LOCKHART: I wasn`t aware of any drug problem, never even crossed my mind. I never saw anything that would stand out to where she had a drug problem.

OPRAH WINFREY, HOST: As far as you know, did you feel that your daughter was safe with her?

LOCKHART: Yes, over the past five years, I never was greatly concerned dropping her off. I mean, you know, everybody`s always got a concern. Antoinette never lived in the best neighborhoods, so of course, there was always that concern. But I never was concerned of her caring for her as a mother.

My understanding is that BL has stated that there was no formal custody agreement. One article stated that there was no record of any custody disputes in Cumberland County's court records.

BL is her father. I do not know if he is listed as such on her birth certificate or not - that would be interesting to know. But as long as he and AD were able to cooperatively work out Shaniya's custody, I guess a court order would not be necessary, would it? So, legally, maybe it could be characterized as a joint or shared custody arrangement.
I'm pretty sure he is not listed on B.C.(read that) maybe so she could get free medical? I'm not sure.

Unless his name was on that birth certificate I don't think he had a legal leg to stand on when it came to Shaniya. Legally he could not sign any consent for medical, sign her up for school or anything. He was pretty much the babysitter.

No, my ie followed my I wasn't claiming I heard the actual conversation or knew how it went, and I for sure never said he claimed not to want custody.

It seems that we can agree that there is no factual basis to a statement that BL claimed not to want custody of Shaniya.

I am glad that we got that cleared up.

Does anyone else feel it is strange we have never heard for sure what kind of work BL does?

I have heard rumors, well driller, construction worker, government contract worker. Maybe somehow those all fit together. Just strange we have never heard for sure.
He said contractor, and maybe at the end of all this he will want to go back to work.
I am certain that IF he said to much and his employer got wind of it he would be canned, and mainly because the company does not need bad press.
they did nothing and need not get involved. If he says too much we can figure it all out contractor is just fine.It covers enough....
The man will have to get back to work one of these days.

It seems that we can agree that there is no factual basis to a statement that BL claimed not to want custody of Shaniya.

I am glad that we got that cleared up.

:highfive:

I'm pretty sure he is not listed on B.C.(read that) maybe so she could get free medical? I'm not sure.

Hmmmm, I know I read speculation that he might not be on the birth certificate, based on Shaniya having the mother's last name. Actually, where I live, at one time that was the only last name a child could have - the mother's. If dad had a different last name (i.e. unmarried parents), the only way child could have his last name was to have it legally changed.

I have heard that this has been changed recently, and parents can choose for the child to have either the father's or mother's last name. I haven't researched that to find out if it is true.

In any case, is there any source that states BL is not on the birth certificate?

Hmmmm, I know I read speculation that he might not be on the birth certificate, based on Shaniya having the mother's last name. Actually, where I live, at one time that was the only last name a child could have - the mother's. If dad had a different last name (i.e. unmarried parents), the only way child could have his last name was to have it legally changed.

I have heard that this has been changed recently, and parents can choose for the child to have either the father's or mother's last name. I haven't researched that to find out if it is true.

In any case, is there any source that states BL is not on the birth certificate?

Someone linked a birth announcement with no father listed. I did not save the link.

Does anyone know how many times BL has been married?This case has so many characters involved.I can't imagine the Aunt dropping this child off with at least going to the door & maybe seeing what a mess the trailer was in.
BL never did say if Shaniya called him or not.Didn't he say she was suppose to call him every night?There are so many unanswered questions

I do not believe BL had a leg to stand on with regard to custody.
I think Shaniya would have ended up in foster care.
And we know that often times means abuse.

BL had lost custody of his other children to his in laws.
No Judge on earth would have granted him custody of Shaniya. Would NOT happen.
'
ONLY one thing could have happened which is that Carie would get custody...We do not know why they did not go that rout.

ALL the posts about BL going for custody. HAY GUYS - would never happen, he lost 3 in a custody case.
I think we had best switch our rage to something else.
BL COULD NOT GET HER.
MOO but I would bet on it.

I do not believe BL had a leg to stand on with regard to custody.
I think Shaniya would have ended up in foster care.
And we know that often times means abuse.

BL had lost custody of his other children to his in laws.
No Judge on earth would have granted him custody of Shaniya. Would NOT happen.
'
ONLY one thing could have happened which is that Carie would get custody...We do not know why they did not go that rout.

ALL the posts about BL going for custody. HAY GUYS - would never happen, he lost 3 in a custody case.
I think we had best switch our rage to something else.
BL COULD NOT GET HER.
MOO but I would bet on it.

I think you are wrong. I don't think she had a dime to fight with.

And again...

no one was trying to get Shaynia....from what I see...

AD could have been bought off with a bag of rocks IMHO...she had no leg to stand on

Look at her....pregnant by a felon who is HIV positive...a 7 year old boy...living (illegally) in a filthy little trailer with ? 3 or 4 kids and 4 adults , 2 of them felons

her "job">> part time food service worker at nursing home

they could have called them and demanded that they drug test her and boom...end of that

how about demanding a drug test?? she is pregnant..isn't that child abuse in itself??

I refuse to sit and say there was "no way" that these people could have stopped this tragedy. If some of you choose to take that stance, fine, I don't. I am not trying to tell others what to think, I am only putting out my thoughts and opinions...I would appreciate the same from others..thanks

I think you are wrong. I don't think she had a dime to fight with.

And the judge's options were vastly different.

Just because a judge said that the grandparents were a better option for custody of those kids than BL was doesn't mean a judge would say that AD would be a better option than BL was.

Someone linked a birth announcement with no father listed. I did not save the link.

Fayetteville Observer, The : Cape Fear Valley births
$2.95 - Fayetteville Observer - NewsBank - Jul 3, 2004
Antoinette Davis, Fayetteville, a girl, Shaniya Nicole. Felicia Everett and Antwon Williams, Fayetteville, a girl, Neveah Zy-bre Williams ...

http://news.google.com/archivesearc...ives&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&ned=us&scoring=a

IMO, people are assuming that since Brad is not listed in the birth annoucement that Brad is "assumed" to be not on the birth certificate.

I feel that at some point a DNA test must of been done to at least prove paternity since Brad clearly stated "this was a one night stand".

I know some of the women my son dated would come up with "I am pregnant" after they broke up. I would always tell them, no problem, IF this is my son's child, he will do the right thing and take care of his child. Needless to say "I am still not a grandmother" and my son is 41. :crazy:

Fayetteville Observer, The : Cape Fear Valley births
$2.95 - Fayetteville Observer - NewsBank - Jul 3, 2004
Antoinette Davis, Fayetteville, a girl, Shaniya Nicole. Felicia Everett and Antwon Williams, Fayetteville, a girl, Neveah Zy-bre Williams ...

http://news.google.com/archivesearc...ives&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&ned=us&scoring=a

IMO, people are assuming that since Brad is not listed in the birth annoucement that Brad is "assumed" to be not on the birth certificate.

I feel that at some point a DNA test must of been done to at least prove paternity since Brad clearly stated "this was a one night stand".

I know some of the women my son dated would come up with "I am pregnant" after they broke up. I would always tell them, no problem, IF this is my son's child, he will do the right thing and take care of his child. Needless to say "I am still not a grandmother" and my son is 41. :crazy:

Thank You Patty for making me giggle.

And the judge's options were vastly different.

Just because a judge said that the grandparents were a better option for custody of those kids than BL was doesn't mean a judge would say that AD would be a better option than BL was.

They are apples and oranges.

Here in Texas, FWIW, for the *baby daddy* to be listed on the birth certificate, he must be at the hospital (when the baby is born) to sign the paperwork, AOP, Acknowledgement of Paternity. Before a *baby mama* could put anyone on there.

If *baby daddy* is not present for the birth, or after birth, he fills out the same form, AOP, Acknowledgement of Paternity.

It appears to be the same in NC-

What steps must unmarried parents take to ensure that they are both considered the legal parents of their child?
To make sure that a child's biological parents are also the legal parents, both mother and father should be listed on the child's birth certificate. If you want to add a parent's name to a birth certificate, contact your state's Bureau of Vital Statistics. You can find this contact information by visiting the website of the National Center for Health Statistics.

In order to be listed on a child's birth certificate, most states require unmarried fathers to sign an affidavit or acknowledgment of paternity. In any case, it's a good idea for both parents to write, sign, and notarize a statement acknowledging the father's paternity. You can take this one step further by contacting your state's Vital Statistics office and asking whether they keep paternity statements on file. If they do, make sure yours is filed.

http://articles.directorym.com/Pare...AQ_North_Carolina-r935254-North_Carolina.html

In some article somewhere it was said that AD gave Shaniya over because BL could provide a better life for her. But that BL was always cooperative whenever AD wanted to see Shaniya. (Sorry, I am not so good at digging up the links. If anyone else remembers this, please post one).

I can see a scenario where Shanyia's parents communicated regarding their child - BL taking over when AD seemed unable to cope but allowing visits whenever she wanted. To me, I get the sense that she had problems he was aware of, but I just don't believe he was aware of any significant problems such as continuing, serious drug use, questionable men around, DCF involvement with her other child (that info is confidential and there is NO WAY it would be released to a party not involved in the actual case, except for gov. personnel), her actual living situation of not being on the lease, etc. (By the way, I saw photos of the inside of the house. The photos showed a mess but not one that was shocking. I have seen much, much worse).
To me, BL seems like an imperfect but well-meaning person. If the reports out there are true, he appears to have several kids from different moms, and he just generally seems like a guy whose life and background, family of origin, and history, may not have been the very best and limited his abilities to be on the ball, to some degree.
Yet, he seems to me like he tried to do the best he could for Shaniya with the resources he had available and considering his background, etc.
Also, there seems to be a big gap between his older kids ages and Shaniya's so he may have become a more mature person and parent, a more religious person and so forth, ya' know what I mean?
But, if my instincts are right regarding the type of guy he is and was and where he came from, etc., he may have felt some sympathy for AD and thought, "Well, I have not been perfect in my life but I have changed a lot. AD seems sincere and I don't want to deny my child a chance to have an involved mother, so I'll allow more contact."
I still think Shaniya came to be with her mother in October as a part of what was supposed to be a short visit but that AD refused to give her back when she was scheduled to, BL was out of town and didn't have the ability to immediately address the situation, Aunt Carey had no legal rights and BL just thought, "Okay, you can keep her for a while until I get back. I won't fight some extended time. I'll give you a chance."
I really see nothing to suggest he was "dumping" his kid to avoid responsibility or to begin a new, childless relationship. He just doesn't seem like the type to me and it seems Aunt Carey would have been willing to step up if that's what he wanted to do and had real concerns that AD would not be a good choice for Shaniya. What would be the reason to toss her to AD's if he knew things weren't right there and that Carey was willing to keep her? It makes no sense.
I don't get that this guy is some kind of unfeeling jerk who did not have his child's best interest at heart. (Even if his choices were not well-thought out).
Instead, he seems like the kind of guy many of us know: Sentimental, makes bad decisions in love, not alot of education, perhaps likes to throw a few back on a regular basis, big hearted but not always as responsible as he could be, loves the ladies and not smart with protection, a bit immature or irresponsible when he first had babies, but all in all, a nice enough guy, generous with friends, etc. That's my feeling. I've known alot of guys like that.
On a related topic, as far as the cigarette burn thing and this supposed strong evidence of abuse that some are citing as factual or that he knew of repeated abuse and apparently did not give a da#m, those allegations were made by people who seem to have had issues with him, some kind of custody and or child support battle back when their grandkids were younger. They may be bitter and I have seen nothing yet that shows they were so concerned that they reported this abuse. They may also simply be as angry as others here and wanting to vilify BL because his decisions led to the baby being placed in a situation ending in her torture and death. So, with that emotion and their past dealings in mind, I can't rely on their statements.
What I did hear is that BL and/or Carey say is that he or she saw ONE cigarette burn on the child and that it was claimed she "backed up into the cigarette" and that Shaniya had nothing much to add about what happened. If she was small or just being her apparently ususal, cheery self just wanting to play and distracted by whatever she was doing after she got home, I can easily see that being the case. If she ignored their question or didn't say much about what happened, they may have assumed it was caused exactly as AD or whomever, said it did.
It can happen. I have been around careless smokers and have actually witnessed kids, dogs or adults walking into a cigarette but if it was a deep, perfectly round burn, alarm bells should have gone off because usually someone who runs into a lit butt, will jerk their body part a way very fast. Also, people who purposefully burn kids always make that excuse. It seems to me that alarm bells did not go off for either BL or Carey, though, so I guess they bought the excuse for some reason.
As far as his so-called friends stating he is fully responsible for what happened, knew better, knew about the conditions, etc., that he is not a good parent or great guy, why then were they his friends? I have ended friendships when I discovered such traits in my friends. I can't abide by people who don't put their children first and I can't be friends with people who neglect their kids, willfully or not.
Also, has it been confirmed that they really were/are his friends? Do we know for a fact their identities and whether they actually had a close relationship with BL? Where did this info come from? A blog?
Bottom line, BL made some huge mistakes that he will sadly regret his entire life. I can't imagine the level of guilt he must feel. The what ifs that we all feel when there is an accident or illness that results in a death of a loved one must be intense for him. I think the only thing getting him through is grasping on to faith that God will get him through, will hold him up, will take care of his baby and that he will see her again in the eternal hereafter. Thank goodness he has that to cling to.
JMO.

My understanding has been that AD raised Shaniya for the first year of her life, then gave her to BL when she didn't feel able to care for her adequately. BL has mentioned her financial problems, and said that she seemed to have gotten over that lately, and had maintained steady employment. From that, I am surmising that, at least as far as his awareness went, her problems had to do with financial issues, and probably resulting problems in her living circumstances.
Hi! What I'm still confused by is (reportedly) AD only had a part-time job, and she was "illegally" living with her sister in the mobile home. I wonder what story she told BL? She certainly didn't seem over the financial problems, so what she's charged with maybe was her motive all along for wanting Shaniya back? :waitasec: MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy