"Photo Not Available

Victim or Case Name and Number: Sonja Spruill Day

Crime Committed or Inflicted: Murder

Crime Date: 9/26/1994

City/County: Plymouth, Washington County

State: North Carolina

District: Northeastern

Description:

On Monday, September 26, 1994, Sonja Spruill Day was found dead in her home by her 11-year-old son and two school friends shortly after 3:30 p.m. when they returned from school. Ms. Day was 33 years old and lived in an apartment at 110G Sawmill Circle in Plymouth in Washington County.

Ms. Day's apartment was locked from inside or had been locked from the outside with a dead-bolt key. Her son did not have a key. He climbed up on the balcony of the second floor apartment and entered through the unlocked sliding glass doors. His mother's body was face-up in her bedroom with her throat cut and stab marks in her neck and chest. Her hands were bound at the wrist and tied to each corner of the headboard with electrical wire cut from the bedroom lamps in the apartment. One ankle was wrapped with a black bra but not tied to anything.

The victim had on a shirt, shorts, underpants, and no shoes. Forced entry was not apparent. Blood was found in several rooms. Her boyfriend was murdered in December 1993 in Washington County. He had been beaten and stabbed. "

I've been interested in this case for several months now. During research conducted to potentially create a Podcast, I was guided to Ms. Day's case as a result of looking into the murder of her boyfriend, William "Frank" Swain. Two individuals, Leroy Spruill and Brandon Jones, were convicted and sentenced for Swain's murder, and (unsuccessfully) appealed their convictions through the NC Center on Actual Innocence. A complete PDF file of this appeal is available to the public. I've been working my way through it and have found many things within that raised eyebrows, if not full-blown suspicion.

There is essentially no information on Ms. Day, at least not that I've been able to locate. No picture, no news articles, no updates on her murder. I'm not sure what it is within myself that makes me feel compelled to delve deeper for her, but it gives me an incredible heartache knowing that this woman has been forgotten. If anyone has any insights to offer, I will be here and I am eager to hear you.

I've been interested in this case for several months now. During research conducted to potentially create a Podcast, I was guided to Ms. Day's case as a result of looking into the murder of her boyfriend, William "Frank" Swain. Two individuals, Leroy Spruill and Brandon Jones, were convicted and sentenced for Swain's murder, and (unsuccessfully) appealed their convictions through the NC Center on Actual Innocence. A complete PDF file of this appeal is available to the public. I've been working my way through it and have found many things within that raised eyebrows, if not full-blown suspicion.

There is essentially no information on Ms. Day, at least not that I've been able to locate. No picture, no news articles, no updates on her murder. I'm not sure what it is within myself that makes me feel compelled to delve deeper for her, but it gives me an incredible heartache knowing that this woman has been forgotten. If anyone has any insights to offer, I will be here and I am eager to hear you.
Matt Day - Quora

Matt posted his story on Reddit last year asking for help, and I reached out to him but never received a response. I reached out again on Quora and offered to help him but again no response. So I’m not sure if he found someone to help him or maybe decided not to pursue it for whatever reason. I do hope he finds the answers he needs for closure.

I’m Matthew Day. Sonja was my mother. Feel free to contact me. Will be happy to prrovide any information I can on the subject.

Matt posted his story on Reddit last year asking for help, and I reached out to him but never received a response. I reached out again on Quora and offered to help him but again no response. So I’m not sure if he found someone to help him or maybe decided not to pursue it for whatever reason. I do hope he finds the answers he needs for closure.
This is Matthew. Please contact me.

I’m Matthew Day. Sonja was my mother. Feel free to contact me. Will be happy to prrovide any information I can on the subject.
Matt! I went to school with you. PM me if you get this. I’ve been studying Leroy’s case and your moms too. I hope you are well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back