NC NC- Susan Clary, 19, pregnant, found murdered in bed, unused guns staged at scene, Halifax, May 83'

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by aThousandYearsWide, Jul 21, 2020.

1. aThousandYearsWide

aThousandYearsWide Well-Known Member

Susan Shearin Clary was 8 months pregnant when she was murdered in her Halifax County home on May 16, 1983.

Clary's husband, Tim Clary, told investigators that he left their home early that morning to see his father. He said his 19-year-old wife was still asleep.

But just a few hours later, Clary never arrived at Weldon Town Hall, where she worked as assistant town clerk.

Co-workers got concerned and called her father, who went to her home to check on her.

Authorities said her father found the back door of her Weldon home open, and Susan’s body in the front bedroom.

She was naked, a bra wrapped around her neck and her temple bruised.

Chief Deputy Bruce Temple worked the case. He’s since retired from the Halifax County Sheriff’s Office.

“There were two guns placed on top of dressers and previous to that they’d been hidden,” Temple said. “The bed was moved out of place. A foot stool, a rather large one was moved out of place,” he continued.

Temple said the guns hadn’t been fired and the bra had nothing to do with the murder. He believes the crime scene was staged.

Temple said they ruled out robbery and sexual assault as motives. Then there was the couple’s guard dog.

“If anything out of the ordinary were to happen, the dog was known to be excessively loud and aggressive,” Temple said.

Temple said the dog didn’t bark that morning.

The cause of death was ruled asphyxiation. Temple said it may have been an accident.

Susan’s husband, Tim Clary, told investigators he’d left the house early on the morning of the murder to help his father.

“I would really like to see her husband be more cooperative because he might, could help us put this case to an end,” Shearin said.

Tripp said he believes the case can be solved.

His office continues to work the case optimistic that one day they’ll be able to give Susan’s family the closure they’ve been waiting for.

Halifax County family waiting, hoping for justice 35 years later

Halifax town still mourns pregnant woman's 1983 slaying :: WRAL.com

StarrChance likes this.

2. jade32

jade32 Well-Known Member

No signs of forced entry, the crime scene looked staged and husband saw her last. It feels like I am missing something here. Was she still alive when the husband left? If the crime scene was in fact staged, then in my eyes this can't be someone she didn't know. I think that the husband was involved, IMO. And that either something went wrong and she died or he killed her intentionally.

aThousandYearsWide likes this.
  3. aThousandYearsWide

I agree, and the detail about their dog not barking leads to this as well. The police even say it could have been an accident and immediately talk about the husband. I wonder how he could have accidently smothered her (if it was accidental).

4. aThousandYearsWide

According to a article no longer available online she had eaten a reese cup that morning and the wrapper was found near her bathtub. I wish I could find the article. So she was awake at some point that morning. One of the guns was found next to her body. Really strange. It's like whoever staged the scene contemplated using the guns to make it seem more like a random homicide. I wonder where or if they found the clothing she was wearing prior to her death.