GUILTY NC - Teghan Skiba, 4, Smithfield, 19 July 2010 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope you found the tears to be cathartic - words for what happened to Teghan seem to not exist; my own tears for her were a bit of relief.

About laws being changed. I am searching for a paper that documents the first US case of child abuse - historically speaking, it wasn't that long ago. At the time (as largely is the law here in present day), children were legally the "property" of their parents. In this initial case there were neighbors who looked to LE to help this girl, without luck. Their desperation eventually led them to the man who founded The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - yes, animals had more rights at the time than children. He was able to make a case; the child was removed from the home, the case went to court, and the abusive parents were punished.

We as a society are still in infancy regarding Children's Rights and laws to protect those rights. The lack of publicity about Teghan's story is indicative of how rare cases like hers come to court; they haven't caught the attention of the mainstream (yet). I have a feeling that as child abuse becomes more and more illegal and strictly punishable (as is occurring), we are going to see more and more cases such as Teghan's come to the light of day. So on the one hand, it's tragic that children are little more than property and it's just and right that children's rights are being recognized and made into law; on the other, as these laws are implemented, more situations of this kind will come to light, as we are witnessing for example with Teghan, Brianna Lopez, and many other children.

Thanks for responding to my post, borndem - nice to meet you!

:seeya:

Good post, amberjul.

Is it that we're still a bit too squeamish to discuss or read about child rape and/or torture and/or murder? Or do we just not want to hear/read about it? It is, and should be, highly disturbing to almost everyone. I guess part of the under-reporting is because family members see evidence that it is occurring & they don't want, or are afraid, to report it. Like maw-maw, from what we can tell, in this case.

Is MSM too "uninterested" to report it if it happens 2 or 3 states away? Do editors think that because people don't want to talk about it that they also don't want to read about it?

And in so many states, the county social/case workers who work with families, or who receive reports of child abuse may already be carrying 30-40 families when they receive another. If this is the case, then they cannot even visit each family once a month. There's not enuff money, we're told -- we spending too much money on people who may be unwilling to help themselves... Grrrrrrr. Well, that's certainly not true if we're dealing with a 6-month old or with a 7 year old who comes to school everyday with bruises or burns or black eyes.

Let me stop. I'm getting riled up (again).

Justice for Teghan.

We're getting close.

Good post, amberjul.

Is it that we're still a bit too squeamish to discuss or read about child rape and/or torture and/or murder? Or do we just not want to hear/read about it? It is, and should be, highly disturbing to almost everyone. I guess part of the under-reporting is because family members see evidence that it is occurring & they don't want, or are afraid, to report it. Like maw-maw, from what we can tell, in this case.

Is MSM too "uninterested" to report it if it happens 2 or 3 states away? Do editors think that because people don't want to talk about it that they also don't want to read about it?

And in so many states, the county social/case workers who work with families, or who receive reports of child abuse may already be carrying 30-40 families when they receive another. If this is the case, then they cannot even visit each family once a month. There's not enuff money, we're told -- we spending too much money on people who may be unwilling to help themselves... Grrrrrrr. Well, that's certainly not true if we're dealing with a 6-month old or with a 7 year old who comes to school everyday with bruises or burns or black eyes.

Let me stop. I'm getting riled up (again).

Justice for Teghan.

We're getting close.

There are two types of social workers.

I had a huge caseload (About 40 not counting the juveniles I saw in a residential program for juvenile offenders) and I had to see clients weekly. A lot of working 12-14 hour days and Saturdays to keep my head above water. But I did it because I didn't want anyone to fall through the cracks and I wanted to be a good social worker... until I had a nervous breakdown and with the stress and lack of a good self health plan I ended up in the hospital for a week.

So there are a few like me, but we eventually burnout and end up working at Sears or McDonalds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My boss was on vacation all last week, so I have the feeling that Monday she will have me too busy to check in here. I am crossing my fingers and hoping for justice for Teghan, even though I can't truly think of anything they can do to him that would even the score for Teghan.

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I have a friend whose 6 year old son was battling cancer. He lost that battle, just before midnight last night, surrounded by people who loved him and in the arms of his grieving parents, in the warmth and comfort of his own home, heavily medicated to ensure he felt no pain. He spent his last weeks being visited by friends and family, lovingly cared for by his mother (a nurse) and his father who adored him.

The contrast to Teghan's last days is something I cannot work through in my heart. She died under the glare of hospital lights, with emergency personnel horrified and sickened by the sight of her. Her last 10 days were brutal, painful, terrifying. She was alone, except for the monster who beat her, raped her, bit her, did lord knows what to her little body and mind.

I don't understand it. Teghan was no less innocent and deserving than this little angel. Why? How can this happen? The world makes no sense.

:grouphug: Flutterby.
So sorry to hear he passed. But glad he went peacefully and surrounded by love.

There are two types of social workers.

I had a huge caseload (About 40 not counting the juveniles I saw in a residential program for juvenile offenders) and I had to see clients weekly. A lot of working 12-14 hour days and Saturdays to keep my head above water. But I did it because I didn't want anyone to fall through the cracks and I wanted to be a good social worker... until I had a nervous breakdown and with the stress and lack of a good self health plan I ended up in the hospital for a week.

So there are a few like me, but we eventually burnout and end up working at Sears or McDonalds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I, for one, appreciate the time, effort, and compassion you have had. I know social workers are overworked, underpaid, and under appreciated. I wish so badly that people who care about humanity could truly get paid what they're worth and have a caseload they can truly give their hearts to, rather than work in a system that causes them to go numb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998