NC - Two Duke Lacrosse Players Indicted

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillyGoatGruff said:
I've noticed that the coverage of the case seems to have flagged considerably once the rather unsavory discoveries re the accuser's profession/background got out.

For weeks, Nancy Grace (America's pre-eminent man hater) has totally avoided all discussion on this case. When facts conspire to prevent her from spitting her ever present venom in the face of some unfortunate guy or guys, you can officially mark the case as being is in its death throes.

>When facts conspire to prevent her from spitting her ever present venom in the face of some unfortunate guy or guys, you can officially mark the case as being is in its death throes.<

I agree. The case isn't as interesting to them anymore on several levels. It no longer fits their agenda. Move along. Nothing to see here.

Sherlockmom

Wudge said:
For weeks, Nancy Grace (America's pre-eminent man hater) has totally avoided all discussion on this case. When facts conspire to prevent her from spitting her ever present venom in the face of some unfortunate guy or guys, you can officially mark the case as being is in its death throes.
I wouldn't call her a man hater. Just someone who worked a lot of child molestation and sex offense cases. That can leave you with an extremely jaded view of those accused of such crimes. A lot of guys who work Sex Crimes could be classified as "homophobes" for pretty much the same reason.

BillyGoatGruff said:
I wouldn't call her a man hater. Just someone who worked a lot of child molestation and sex offense cases. That can leave you with an extremely jaded view of those accused of such crimes. A lot of guys who work Sex Crimes could be classified as "homophobes" for pretty much the same reason.

Um, isn't that the same argument used to explain racist police? Not that you, Billy, are excusing any of these prejudices, I realize, but I doubt there is a racist/sexist/homophobe alive who doesn't start from the same position.

So then how is Nancy Grace any different from any other "man hater"?

Nova said:
Um, isn't that the same argument used to explain racist police? Not that you, Billy, are excusing any of these prejudices, I realize, but I doubt there is a racist/sexist/homophobe alive who doesn't start from the same position.

So then how is Nancy Grace any different from any other "man hater"?
Well, she was engaged to a man (who was murdered) at one point, so I'm assuming that she doesnt hate all men. And some of the most racist cops I have ever met were black, so go figure that one out.

But totally dismissing how someone's chosen profession tints your world view is somewhat naiive. When you live your life in law enforcement--meaning when you are at work you ONLY get to see people when they are either victims or perps--it definitely tends to color your view of humanity. Dealing with a steady stream of rapists, child molesters, wife beaters, pimps, drug dealers, prostitutes, thieves & murderers has to be debilitating to the human spirit in ways you and I will never (hopefully know). One aspect of dealing with that element of society is that you never assume anyone is telling you the truth the first time out, regardless of who they are. You'll find doctors who work in big city trauma wards and ERS are even worse.

My father quit his job as a deputy sheriff after 3 years because seeing the ugly side of the people in our very small town of 500+ people was grinding him down. He got to deal with men he went to church with who beat their wives, raped thei kids, stabbed their neighbors in drunken rages, etc.

Billy, I wasn't dismissing your argument, just trying to understand it.

Seems to me that most prejudices are based on extrapolating from a number of specific examples to a group as a whole, so I wasn't sure how the "man-hating" of a victim's advocate was ultimately any different from any other sexism.

Nova said:
Billy, I wasn't dismissing your argument, just trying to understand it.

Seems to me that most prejudices are based on extrapolating from a number of specific examples to a group as a whole, so I wasn't sure how the "man-hating" of a victim's advocate was ultimately any different from any other sexism.
You should also bear in mind that what you are viewing via Nancy Grace is more performance than actual person, as with all Talking Heads. Making the mistake of assuming the persona is the person is pretty common re the media. Grace (or more likely her handlers) has decided this persona works best for the type of show she has, largely because it is polarizing and "controversial". Her behavior off camera is unseen by us, so we have no idea how she behaves, talks & reacts when she's not "on". It's kind of like assuming Ozzy Osbourne bites the heads off bats 24/7 or that Florence Henderson is constantly baking cookies.

BillyGoatGruff said:
You should also bear in mind that what you are viewing via Nancy Grace is more performance than actual person, as with all Talking Heads. Making the mistake of assuming the persona is the person is pretty common re the media. Grace (or more likely her handlers) has decided this persona works best for the type of show she has, largely because it is polarizing and "controversial". Her behavior off camera is unseen by us, so we have no idea how she behaves, talks & reacts when she's not "on". It's kind of like assuming Ozzy Osbourne bites the heads off bats 24/7 or that Florence Henderson is constantly baking cookies.

Good point, Billy. But I wasn't actually judging Grace, whom I rarely watch. I was just exploring your ideas on prejudice.

Nova said:
Good point, Billy. But I wasn't actually judging Grace, whom I rarely watch. I was just exploring your ideas on prejudice.
I don't know if you can call it prejudice if 90% of your exposure/dealings with a particular group of people (whether defined by race, gender or sexual preference) is decidedly negative--"Bias" might be more like it, or at least an ingrained unwillingness to extend someone the benefit of the doubt. The distrust between the police and the communities they police is soemthing of a eternal circle--the serpent devouring its tail.

I, personally, have no problem stating I hate junkies and don't trust them and try to avoid dealing with them because I've never had a single positive experience related to one, I don't care who they are. Race and gender is irrelevant with a junkie. However, other people feel the need to help them and consider my attitude harsh and heartless. True. But I only got there after having lived my own version of the the old stories about the frog and scorpion & the lady and the snake.

Wudge said:

It is a welcome relief that Nancy isn't covering this case. Every other show is covering it every night until it is wearing thin. How much coverage does it need. There are other things going on in this world that are important like missing people....murdered people, etc. I know Dan Abrams is playing this case to death and so is Hannity and Combs. If you want to watch shows that are smearing the accuser and holding up for the boys....watch those shows. If you want a welcome break watch Nancy.

Bobbisangel said:
It is a welcome relief that Nancy isn't covering this case. Every other show is covering it every night until it is wearing thin. How much coverage does it need. There are other things going on in this world that are important like missing people....murdered people, etc. I know Dan Abrams is playing this case to death and so is Hannity and Combs. If you want to watch shows that are smearing the accuser and holding up for the boys....watch those shows. If you want a welcome break watch Nancy.

I might just love you for the rest of my life.I couldn't have said it any better.

Bobbisangel said:

Well, if you want to hear the truth, watch Sean Hannity. He seems to be the only one with the balls big enough to say that this case STINKS to high Heaven. ;)

Jeana (DP) said:
Well, if you want to hear the truth, watch Sean Hannity. He seems to be the only one with the balls big enough to say that this case STINKS to high Heaven. ;)
I agree. I admire Sean for telling it like it is or at least how he sees it. I think that Dan Abrams also is pretty open about his doubts.

Jeana (DP) said:

Even a complete idiot gets it right once in awhile, I suppose.

Jeana (DP) said:
Now don't get all bitchy on me Nova!!!

No bitchiness here, just the truth: Sean Hannity is as stupid as one can be without actually being classified as a category of plant.

Nova said:
No bitchiness here, just the truth: Sean Hannity is as stupid as one can be without actually being classified as a category of plant.

No, he's not. You just don't like him. If you were a conservative, you'd love him like I do. :D :D :D

Nova said:
Even a complete idiot gets it right once in awhile, I suppose.

As for braindead political hacks, I always thought Bill Press could not be beat. However, one day I attached a one dollar bill to my fishing line, threw it in a swamp and landed James Carville.

I'm conservative, but I seldom watch Fox, it is far too much a tabloid for my tastes. But I do agree with Sean. Though I am not a supporter of crimetainment, because it biases trials and verdicts. Sean is now using this case as a crimetainment ratings boster, which is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson