NC - Two Duke Lacrosse Players Indicted

Status
Not open for further replies.
>But I have to wonder what happened at that party that dropped a dancer who did perform the task she was paid to do to a "passed out drunk" woman afterwards and how the cops knew she was passed out from drink...curious questions to me anyways.<

She had been drinking before she arrived. I believe one of the previous articles linked mentioned that. She also has a history of behaving in this drunken manner previously in the case where she ended up stealing a car and almost running over a police officer.

Apparantly no toxicology tests were run at the hospital leading me to believe she never mentioned any suspicion of drugs being given to her at the party. In fact, she told them at the hospital that she HAD NOT been raped and then changed her story. The police were going to take her to a facility and that is when she started crying rape.

From what I understand now she is receiving phsycriatic care and Nifong has had the trial postponed. Gives him time to be re-elected and his client to be cleaned up and coached. My guess is that after he is re-elected his client will decide she is too damaged and afraid to testify and the charges will be dropped.

If you have been following the case closely she also has a past history of making false claims and then not following through on the cases. She also has a history of alcohol/drug abuse. She would be a disaster on the witness stand.

It was the prosecution that initially began trying this case in the court of public opinion. They quickly shut up however when their client's past history came to light.

Sherlockmom

Sherlockmom said:
>But I have to wonder what happened at that party that dropped a dancer who did perform the task she was paid to do to a "passed out drunk" woman afterwards and how the cops knew she was passed out from drink...curious questions to me anyways.<

She had been drinking before she arrived. I believe one of the previous articles linked mentioned that. She also has a history of behaving in this drunken manner previously in the case where she ended up stealing a car and almost running over a police officer.

Apparantly no toxicology tests were run at the hospital leading me to believe she never mentioned any suspicion of drugs being given to her at the party. In fact, she told them at the hospital that she HAD NOT been raped and then changed her story. The police were going to take her to a facility and that is when she started crying rape.

From what I understand now she is receiving phsycriatic care and Nifong has had the trial postponed. Gives him time to be re-elected and his client to be cleaned up and coached. My guess is that after he is re-elected his client will decide she is too damaged and afraid to testify and the charges will be dropped.

If you have been following the case closely she also has a past history of making false claims and then not following through on the cases. She also has a history of alcohol/drug abuse. She would be a disaster on the witness stand.

It was the prosecution that initially began trying this case in the court of public opinion. They quickly shut up however when their client's past history came to light.

Sherlockmom
Thanks for the information Sherlockmom !

Truthfully I have not followed it closely. Simply put, I find the whole mess quite disgusting. I am trying to figure why some judge has not implemented a Gag Order in this case (i.e. Kobe Bryant style). It seems to me the whole thing is a field day for everyone involved, even those univited but none the less involved by their own choice.

For me this is one of those cases that makes so little sense that neither side strikes me as believable at this point and both are way too involved in character assassination. Given that, I find it difficult to form any opinion other than if Nifong has brought this case with nothing to stand on - he needs to be removed from office. If the defense lawyers are blowing smoke just because they can I find that reason to consider them as nothing more than slime and I do believe they should be disbarred as well. If the woman is making a false claim, send her away - if the young men are guilty they need to be held accountable, regardless of this woman's history it doesn't make it right. Sad part about it IMO is everyone (the young men and the accuser) has already lost so much. In such cases I just wait for the trial. JMHO

If the prosecution had some "smoking gun" evidence that is favorable to Nifong's case, they would be leaking it to the press, and the press would be eagerly publicizing it. Since this isn't happening, what we have seen is all there is.

An oddity of this case is that the defense is putting out evidence and the prosecution supporters (such as Nancy Grace) are attempting to poke holes in the defense case. This is the opposite of the usual situation.

I was stunned when Abrams reported the accuser told the sexual assault nurse that Kim Roberts helped the men rape her and stole her money.

raisincharlie said:
Thanks for the information Sherlockmom !

Truthfully I have not followed it closely. Simply put, I find the whole mess quite disgusting. I am trying to figure why some judge has not implemented a Gag Order in this case (i.e. Kobe Bryant style). It seems to me the whole thing is a field day for everyone involved, even those univited but none the less involved by their own choice.

For me this is one of those cases that makes so little sense that neither side strikes me as believable at this point and both are way too involved in character assassination. Given that, I find it difficult to form any opinion other than if Nifong has brought this case with nothing to stand on - he needs to be removed from office. If the defense lawyers are blowing smoke just because they can I find that reason to consider them as nothing more than slime and I do believe they should be disbarred as well. If the woman is making a false claim, send her away - if the young men are guilty they need to be held accountable, regardless of this woman's history it doesn't make it right. Sad part about it IMO is everyone (the young men and the accuser) has already lost so much. In such cases I just wait for the trial. JMHO

If Nifong could counter the recent statements that have been made by the trio of defense lawyers, he would. This is evidenced by the fact that Nifong was the person who first used the media to try the case and help his election bid. He is clearly not afraid or adverse to using the media.

As regards waiting for a trial, Nancy Grace is with you. She said last night that she wants the case tried. She would make a fine North Carolina prosecutor; i.e., she has no shame, no ethics -- why does Clinton come to mind? -- and considers malacious prosecution to be but a game.

From the Washington Post. It's a long (5 page) article but worth the read. I was shocked to read that some of the parents of players not even accused have legal bills already of $14,000.

If this AV has lied, she should not go unpunished. It should not be just forgotten about. These parents will not be refunded their money and not all of them are so rich that this will not impact them financially. And think of what the NC taxpayer has already spent on this case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/09/AR2006060902029.html

Sherlockmom

I don't understand why a judge hasn't issued a gag order either. It is bizzare to let this go on like it has in the media. It reminds me of Koby Bryant's case and I really believe the girl got the end of the stick in that one. I have no respect for that female attorney who drug that girl through the mud day after day. A rape case should be tried in court.

Who knows if the defense attorneys are being truthful. After Scott Peterson's trial and Mark "Hollywood" Garagross I don't have much respect for defense attorneys. I've known of some lousy Prosecutors too though. I'm getting the idea that everyone involved in this case is lying.

If those blinds hanging in the window of those guys house is any indication of what they are like I wouldn't doubt a bit if they didn't drink a little to much and decide to help themselves to a black stripper who they looked down on anyway. Like the girl involved in Koby's case...now we hear that she had sex with 3 guys that night before the party....and this woman even used a sex toy... please!

Dan Abrams has been so involved with this story and the Duke boys that I'm surprised that he doesn't have a stroke. I sent him an email and told him that he is to emotionally involved with the case and he should let the court try it.
It's not like those guys are related to him for pity sake.

I'm waiting to hear what the Pros has. If we went strictly by gossip he would be smart to drop the case but he hasn't. I have heard nothing but good about this Pros before this case came along. Guess we will have to wait and see if it goes to trial and if it does...what the evidence is.

Sherlockmom said:
From the Washington Post. It's a long (5 page) article but worth the read. I was shocked to read that some of the parents of players not even accused have legal bills already of $14,000.

If this AV has lied, she should not go unpunished. It should not be just forgotten about. These parents will not be refunded their money and not all of them are so rich that this will not impact them financially. And think of what the NC taxpayer has already spent on this case.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/09/AR2006060902029.html

Sherlockmom

It costs a ton of money to put up a defense in a criminal case. Plus, they also had to post a $400,000 bond.

False accusations can easily exact revenge through dollars alone.

Bobbisangel said:
SNIP

I have heard nothing but good about this Pros before this case came along.

SNIP

And where did you hear that? The media perhaps? Was his Mother interviewed?

As to how the AV ended up in that condition at the party:

"Among other previously undisclosed details, the motion says the woman at one point accused her female dance partner of helping the lacrosse players rape her and of stealing her money.
And she told one medical staffer she drank at least 44 ounces of beer, and told another she took a powerful muscle relaxant and drank beer before going to the party at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd. on March 13. "

Also taken from the medical report:

"In addition, the dancer told her driver she was "involved in some sexual manner with at least four different men" between March 10 and 12, and she admitted to a physician the next day that "she was drunk and had had a lot of alcohol that night," according to the documents. "

http://www.herald-sun.com/durham/4-742621.html

Sherlockmom

raisincharlie said:
Are we sure the case is absurd or is it the defense lawyers doing what defense lawyers do ? Hopefully if Mr. Nifong has brought this case without substantial proof or just for re-election, he will end up in jail. If the defense lawyers are spinning and trying this case in the press, hopefully they will be disbarred. I do find her dance partner totally idiotic (IMO) however.

But I have to wonder what happened at that party that dropped a dancer who did perform the task she was paid to do to a "passed out drunk" woman afterwards and how the cops knew she was passed out from drink...curious questions to me anyways.

There's no way the defense attorneys are just spinning the case. They've got the proof in writing. However, even if they were, they certainly don't end up in jail because of it. Remember the Scott Peterson defense??? If defense attorneys could be jailed for spin, Geragos would be serving life.

Sherlockmom said:
As to how the AV ended up in that condition at the party:

"Among other previously undisclosed details, the motion says the woman at one point accused her female dance partner of helping the lacrosse players rape her and of stealing her money.
And she told one medical staffer she drank at least 44 ounces of beer, and told another she took a powerful muscle relaxant and drank beer before going to the party at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd. on March 13. "

Also taken from the medical report:

"In addition, the dancer told her driver she was "involved in some sexual manner with at least four different men" between March 10 and 12, and she admitted to a physician the next day that "she was drunk and had had a lot of alcohol that night," according to the documents. "

http://www.herald-sun.com/durham/4-742621.html

Sherlockmom
This case is absolutely disgusting. It appears that these kids are being railroaded. I hope that they sue, sue, sue. I usually don't advocate lawsuits, but it appears to be totally justified in this case.

I would think that the bogus lineup of showing the woman just the lacrosse players would cause a big red flag to be raised. Geez, I could pick three lacrosse players from a collection of all lacrosse players, too...

I wonder if the woman closed her eyes and said aloud, "Eennie, meanie, miney, mo" before selecting the unfortunate three... :rolleyes:

My son was in North Carolina for training... he is going to be 21 in July. He is very athletic and very built. He said he had 5 people ask him if he was a member of the Duke Lacrosse team. He said he got tired of being asked that so he went to a mall there and the Lacrosse team t-shirts were on clearance (imagine that) and so he bought one. So then he started wearing Duke Lacrosse across his chest and people stopped asking. :D :D

On a side note I do feel bad for these boys because something is not right with these dancers.

Anngelique said:
My son was in North Carolina for training... he is going to be 21 in July. He is very athletic and very built. He said he had 5 people ask him if he was a member of the Duke Lacrosse team. He said he got tired of being asked that so he went to a mall there and the Lacrosse team t-shirts were on clearance (imagine that) and so he bought one. So then he started wearing Duke Lacrosse across his chest and people stopped asking. :D :D

On a side note I do feel bad for these boys because something is not right with these dancers.

I'm glad that your son stood up for what he believed to be the right thing. These boys deserve all the support they can get. I hate to see this be the hot bed of poor race relations, but if people want to see them fry simply because they're rich white boys, then they need help.

Jeana (DP) said:
There's no way the defense attorneys are just spinning the case. They've got the proof in writing. However, even if they were, they certainly don't end up in jail because of it. Remember the Scott Peterson defense??? If defense attorneys could be jailed for spin, Geragos would be serving life.

If LE were to be imprisoned for leaking the tons of falsehhods against Scott Peterson, LE in Modesto would definitely be hiring.

Wudge said:
If LE were to be imprisoned for leaking the tons of falsehhods against Scott Peterson, LE in Modesto would definitely be hiring.

Please don't tell me you believe Scott to be innocent too???? :banghead: :banghead:

Wudge said:
It seems to me that the police and prosecution kept quiet. It was Mark Geragos on every talk show in town until a gag order was issued.

nanandjim said:
It seems to me that the police and prosecution kept quiet. It was Mark Geragos on every talk show in town until a gag order was issued.

You may recall some of these falsehoods (as revealed by trial testimony) that were leaked to the media so as to demonize Scott Peterson.

Scott was not cooperative with LE: False.

LE smelled beach upon entering the Peterson home: False

Laci never went to Scott's warehouse: False (and a source of LE corruption, because Detective Brocchini admitted on the witness stand that he excised the truth from his notes)

Blood was found in the shower drain: False

Blood was found in the mop bucket: False

Scott just took out an insurance policy on Laci: False

Laci was found wearing the same pants she had on the night before: False

Scott was seen loading something heavy into his truck during the night: False

A witness saw Scott driving to the marina during the night: False

Scott told LE that they would need a warrant to search their house: False

etc., etc., ad nauseum

Jeana (DP) said:
Please don't tell me you believe Scott to be innocent too???? :banghead: :banghead:

Correct, both I and Nancy Grace would have found Scott to be innocent as charged. Please understand that no one, anywhere, ever produced clear and unyielding evidence of premeditation. Moreover, in my mind, it is much more likely that the burglars murdered Laci than Scott Peterson.

Wudge said:
You may recall some of these falsehoods (as revealed by trial testimony) that were leaked to the media so as to demonize Scott Peterson.

Scott was not cooperative with LE: False.

LE smelled beach upon entering the Peterson home: False

Laci never went to Scott's warehouse: False (and a source of LE corruption, because Detective Brocchini admitted on the witness stand that he excised the truth from his notes)

Blood was found in the shower drain: False

Blood was found in the mop bucket: False

Scott just took out an insurance policy on Laci: False

Laci was found wearing the same pants she had on the night before: False

Scott was seen loading something heavy into his truck during the night: False

A witness saw Scott driving to the marina during the night: False

Scott told LE that they would need a warrant to search their house: False

etc., etc., ad nauseum
I don't know where you get that LE leaked the above information. Plus, I disagree with your conclusion on several of the above statements. Thank goodness the jury also disagreed with you and about two others who think that Scott is innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member