GUILTY NC - William “Andy” Banks, 39, Raleigh, met someone about selling his car, 12 Sept 2020 *ARREST*

As I said, IMO, it can be, and often is, a very useful tool to encourage a guilty defendant to agree to take a first degree LWOP plea in exchange for no DP sentence. I doubt a jury would actually sentence him/them, assuming there's more than 1 defendant. And, there's nothing "virtual signaling" about it--you commit a premeditated first degree murder with special circumstances in NC, and you've earned your way into a possible death penalty sentence, per the statutes and legislature.

That said, I'm getting way ahead of myself. First things first, and that's the recovery of poor A.B.
If the state allows the DP, the state should proceed with prosecution when warranted - IMO

I know this is the age-old debate and question and all of the above, but I just don't get why he'd kill him. I know crimes are senseless and don't usually have rhyme or reason, I know the guy is awful and an idiot and all the names in the world, but why not just beat Andy up and leave him? Why kill him over a car? Dump his cell phone, leave him on the side of the road, get far away. I know people have been killed for less, but the risk in this one is extraordinary. It's just so sad, as all murders are, but ugh. I just can't fathom why.
I think some of these killers are desensitized to the actual act of the kill when using a gun. I can't really understand it myself - I used to think it was because they didn't want to leave a witness but in this situation? I just shake my head. It's awful any way I look at it.
JMO

He killed him because he could and he wanted to kill him.

Some "people" are just not like you and me.

Tim Bosma was killed for a truck the murderer could have bought. Millard wanted the truck, the thrill of the steal and the thrill of the kill.

MOO

I believe those who easily commit felonious acts including violence and escalating to murder do not value life. Maybe they don't value their own lives either, I don't know. But they certainly don't appear to value others who are not family members.

I think back to the Eve Carson murder--a most heinous and senseless murder that didn't have to occur. It was nothing to the killers, not a hesitation or debate. And that awful murder of the mother who had just moved to the North Hills apartment a few years back, her 8 yr old daughter fortunately didn't wake up or get up or she too would have been murdered. IMO

I wonder if he intended to threaten Andy, steal the car, but didn't intend to kill him. I read a few pages back that people who know Andy said he would fight back; maybe JM didn't set out to kill Andy, but Andy fought back and JM killed him in the struggle. Not victim-blaming, mind you, just wondering if the murder itself was premeditated or just the robbery was.

I wonder if he intended to threaten Andy, steal the car, but didn't intend to kill him. I read a few pages back that people who know Andy said he would fight back; maybe JM didn't set out to kill Andy, but Andy fought back and JM killed him in the struggle. Not victim-blaming, mind you, just wondering if the murder itself was premeditated or just the robbery was.
Commission of a homicide during a felony is, at the least, felony murder, which can be treated as Murder in the first degree, per G.S. 14-17(a).

In this case what we'll likely see (IMO) is multiple felonies: intent to commit the underlying felony (vehicle theft), use of a deadly weapon, kidnapping, homicide.

Here are some of the details: The Basics of Felony Murder

I know this is the age-old debate and question and all of the above, but I just don't get why he'd kill him. I know crimes are senseless and don't usually have rhyme or reason, I know the guy is awful and an idiot and all the names in the world, but why not just beat Andy up and leave him? Why kill him over a car? Dump his cell phone, leave him on the side of the road, get far away. I know people have been killed for less, but the risk in this one is extraordinary. It's just so sad, as all murders are, but ugh. I just can't fathom why.

As to why this evil moron would kill him, the short answer is this:

The total depravity of man. (*see John Calvin)

If AB has been murdered, it's because the moron who killed him didn't want to leave a living witness who could identify him.

The tragic fact is that this vile creep no doubt left a neon flashing trail of bread crumbs leading straight back to his doorstep anyhow, so killing AB was utterly, completely pointless.

Evil exists.
Evil men commit evil acts because they're evil.
That is all.
There is no deeper meaning.

Such a tragic waste.

JMO.

This is such a sad case. It has haunted me from the very moment I learned of it. Haven't been on WS in over 10 years, but returned this morning hoping to find more information on the case. You guys are wonderful. My office is just a few blocks from Cameron Village, though I don't know Andy personally. Has it been confirmed which day the RR was spotted on the side of the road in Blairs? Someone said Sunday evening, but that would seem odd to wait an entire day to dispose of a body (if in fact they murdered Andy, which I hope and pray they did not). It would seem more plausible that it was seen Saturday evening at that spot, and that LE is all over that area searching, as it could very well be the spot where they exited the vehicle to hide a body. I hate using that verbiage, but signs don't point to a positive outcome, unfortunately.
Welcome back!

because "honest" people dont think like criminals. That's why most of us dont understand those who commit crimes. AB was a trusting soul and probably thought everyone else was too. He had probably done several transactions this way and nothing had gone wrong.

Last edited:
Commission of a homicide during a felony is, at the least, felony murder, which can be treated as Murder in the first degree, per G.S. 14-17(a).

In this case what we'll likely see (IMO) is multiple felonies: intent to commit the underlying felony (vehicle theft), use of a deadly weapon, kidnapping, homicide.

Here are some of the details: The Basics of Felony Murder

I'm aware of the defintion of felony murder. I didn't imply it wasn't a felony or that it shouldn't be first degree murder. I was just wondering if the intent was just to take the vehicle and things got out of hand.

Some people feel entitled. They feel entitled to property that other's own and don't care at what means to take it. So senseless and sad.

Some people feel entitled. They feel entitled to property that other's own and don't care at what means to take it. So senseless and sad.
i think we know how this is going to end - just like most horrific crimes before. Life in person for murder committed. JM's background made him a criminal and society is to blame. not my words but how the court appointed defense attorney will spin it

i think we know how this is going to end - just like most horrific crimes before. Life in person for murder committed. JM's background made him a criminal and society is to blame. not my words but how the court appointed defense attorney will spin it

Yep. JM will be highlighted as a victim himself, punctuated by a train of relatives' accounts of circumstances that led him to this.

because "honest" people dont think like criminals. That's why most of us dont understand those who commit crimes. AB was a trusting soul and probably thought everyone else was too. He had probably done several transactions this way and nothing had gone wrong.

I think that’s bang on. Honest people would go along on the test drive genuinely believing their personal knowledge of the vehicle might be helpful to the potential purchaser. I doubt the reason is because they’re distrustful of the potential buyer or go along believing their presence will prevent the vehicle from being stolen — I cant imagine anyone making a choice to give their life over a stolen vehicle if the alternative was for the owner to willingly exit a vehicle upon orders by a violent thief.

Similar to home invasions or robberies in general, criminals who murder to eliminate witnesses to take what doesn’t belong to them deserve a special place where they will rot in eternal agony IMO.

In a way he did everything right. Meet someone in a public place in the daytime, away from your home.

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

Debating about the death penalty is not allowed. It may ONLY be discussed as an element of the case itself, not discussed as to members' personal opinions about its existence.

Like race, religion, abortion, gun control, etc ... it is a social justice issue that everybody has an opinion on that will never be resolved via discussion at Websleuths.

Has LE done a press conference locally? Where are they looking for Andy — NC or VA? Have any local search parties been organized? Are his loved ones out looking, or have they bern told to stay home and not do that?

Has LE done a press conference locally? Where are they looking for Andy — NC or VA? Have any local search parties been organized? Are his loved ones out looking, or have they bern told to stay home and not do that?
NC man’s disappearance now being investigated as homicide, police say

Detectives said the investigation and search for Banks continues.

The Raleigh Police Department is investigating but Banks' family and friends aren’t leaving it solely up to the police to find him. They have mobilized in Raleigh and are mounting their own search.

“This is a guy who is a son, a brother, and an uncle and just the nicest guy,” Cash told Channel 9. “I don’t think there’s peace of mind until we have some answers.”

NC man’s disappearance now being investigated as homicide, police say

Detectives said the investigation and search for Banks continues.

The Raleigh Police Department is investigating but Banks' family and friends aren’t leaving it solely up to the police to find him. They have mobilized in Raleigh and are mounting their own search.

“This is a guy who is a son, a brother, and an uncle and just the nicest guy,” Cash told Channel 9. “I don’t think there’s peace of mind until we have some answers.”

Andy is obviously deeply loved by many. He needs to be found and brought home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giulian.57
Back