NC - Zahra Clare Baker, 10, Hickory, 9 Oct 2010 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think I'll wait and see what develops before I decide what to think about the car.

The phrase playing with a lighter bothers me. how would a witness, from across the way, across the fence, from wherever they witnessed this, know if the person was "playing" with it? Playing with lighters to me implies a certain immaturity or youth as in child.

I've never seen an adult who plays with lighters.

Furthermore, if this person saw this on the night in question - why wouldn't they have come forward when all the FD personnel were there responding? And if not report it at that time them surely by the time Zahra is reported "kidnapped" later in the day.

stink and hink IMO

To me, playing with a lighter indicates flicking it on and off. I think, even from far away, if it was dark, you could tell someone was playing with a lighter. It's something I've seen adults do from time to time - mostly as a mindless thing, or maybe wanting a smoke but not having cigarettes on them. Kind of like clicking a pen.

I could see a person not thinking much of it at the time, but after a few days pass, remembering it. It's not really something that would jump out at you, particularly if your neighbors are in the habit of stepping outside to smoke.

Not sure what will come of it, but not automatically hinky to me.

Wondering if the access to the southwest is public? It looks deeper than the one to the northeast, which appears to either be shallow or have alot of sediments coming in. The dam might have more people coming and going... hmmmm...:waitasec:

Good question.

I agree, the NE area does look a bit shallow.

I may be presuming too much.. but IF this body of water is actually an old quarry (kinda looks like it), the deepest part would probably be right in the middle of that area SE of the Falls Ave Bridge.. 2nd deepest area would be where the Old Mill Pond label is on the picture.

I live not too far from an old quarry myself.. I can remember it being dredged a couple of times in the past 20 yrs - each time, the City turned up LOTS of old cars in it.

NC Locals? Anybody have any insider info or history on Quarry Rd / Old Mill Pond area?

Saw on the last thread something about a helicopter. Just wanted to let you know that there was one that was low-flying over my house around 3 and then another one at 3:30. May be nothing but it may also be something??? This happens every once in awhile and I had a quick thought it could be something for Zahra but dismissed it since the investigation seems to have moved from this area.

interesting kcsmom! here is what I posted on the last thread (bringing forward)

On Monday, Chief Tom Adkins with the Hickory Police Department said investigators were searching active areas and following up on leads. As of 3 p.m., the chief said canine teams continue to search areas identified by tips and investigators. Adkins, however, would not specify further as to where those areas are.

Meanwhile, the HPD is trying to find out more information about a non-profit organization called the Spiritual Counseling Network which claims on their website to "Support the efforts of law enforcement to investigate and prosecute the case surrounding the abduction/homicide of Zahra Claire Baker."

In a statement released Monday afternoon, the HPD said it has not been contacted by this group or been given information about the group's intent in using the collected funds.

WBTV has learned that one of the co-organizers of the Spiritual Counseling Network is on probation for obtaining property by false pretenses.

more at this link:
http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13297637

could have also been news choppers due to time of the media release.... do you live near there?

Good question.

I agree, the NE area does look a bit shallow.

I may be presuming too much.. but IF this body of water is actually an old quarry (kinda looks like it), the deepest part would probably be right in the middle of that area SE of the Falls Ave Bridge.. 2nd deepest area would be where the Old Mill Pond label is on the picture.

I live not too far from an old quarry myself.. I can remember it being dredged a couple of times in the past 20 yrs - each time, the City turned up LOTS of old cars in it.

NC Locals? Anybody have any insider info or history on Quarry Rd / Old Mill Pond area?

My 2nd cousin actually lives around this "pond". It is small but a good fishing hole. There are LOTS of traffic over the tiny bridge so I suspect there are some hinky things that happen her. BTW, my aunt lives on the right side of the road and she has a caboose that she bought and restored and put on her land while she built her house. It's a neat landmark.

interesting kcsmom! here is what I posted on the last thread (bringing forward)

could have also been news choppers due to time of the media release.... do you live near there?

Could have been. And my times may be off by 10 minutes later on each one. I was taking an online test and my dd was outside at the time and came running in and told me how low the helicopter was flying. She said it was cool.

I am so sad that this story is NOT top on EVERY news station around here. She hasn't been found yet and whether or not if she is alive shouldn't matter.

Also on Monday, Channel 9 obtained parts of two 911 calls that Zahra’s parents made from their Hickory home on the day the 10-year-old was reported missing. Zahra’s stepmother, Elisa Baker, called about a fire behind their home.
VIDEO: Police Release Parts Of 911 Calls In Zahra Baker Case
“My husband works for a tree maintenance company and our back yard is on fire,” she said in the call.
“Your what’s on fire?” the dispatcher asked.
“The back yard,” Elisa Baker said. “We've got big mulch piles and wood piles -- firewood.”
Police said they think the fire was set, but no one has been charged in connection with it.
Elisa Baker is in jail, charged with obstruction of justice after admitting to writing a phony ransom note threatening her husband’s boss.
Zahra’s father, Adam Baker, called 911 about eight hours later after he said he discovered his daughter missing.
“I need police,” he said. After that, the call was forwarded to police. Officers said they were unable to get the rest of the call to Channel 9 on Monday.
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25429401/detail.html

Here's a map of the area - the purple dot is the house. Close off the left side (with the info) by clicking on the < and then full screen it. Look at the waterways around there! Could be very many desolate places where you could run a car into the water without being seen.

http://mapq.st/h/2-Ech2

Sorry I had to do this this way - its such a big map and I'm a little tech challenged today. lol

Here's a map of the area - the purple dot is the house. Close off the left side (with the info) by clicking on the < and then full screen it. Look at the waterways around there! Could be very many desolate places where you could run a car into the water without being seen.

Sorry I had to do this this way - its such a big map and I'm a little tech challenged today. lol

I actually lived on the other side of the river from that purple dot....very near the water.

Wondering if the access to the southwest is public? It looks deeper than the one to the northeast, which appears to either be shallow or have alot of sediments coming in. The dam might have more people coming and going... hmmmm...:waitasec:

Oooh, actually.. look at this zoom of the NE end of the Falls Ave bridge...

How easy would that be to roll a car down that hill straight into the water?

Ack.

Attachments

• ne_falls-ave-bridge.jpg
    ne_falls-ave-bridge.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 45

There are Many, many, many places you could run a car in the water.

Oooh, actually.. look at this zoom of the NE end of the Falls Ave bridge...

How easy would that be to roll a car down that hill straight into the water?

Ack.

Oh yeah, but it would probably wake up my 2nd cousin and her husband they live straight across the water from this fishing hole.

I'm just "gobsmacked" at AB on that 911 call. The operator answers and the first thing he says is "Hey, how you doin'?" You have got to be kidding me. Maybe its me - but that is so strange. Hey, how ya doin' - oh by the way could you please send a car out my 10 yr old is missing.

Wow - just wow.

Oh and EB has a very "young sounding" voice BTW - or at least the way I hear it.

Thoughts from anyone else?

or could they do a KCAnthony thing and just leave the car in some lot?
ven with dear Zahra in it!

I wish we could use some kind of punishment to make these "animals" talk. They can't be human to do these kinds of things. All this keeping secrets it just crap. They need to tell it already.

I spoke about Lake Hickory, and its proximity to the Baker's residence, early on in the discussions. Here is a link that tells you more about the Lake and also its public access areas.....

http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/facts-and-maps/lake-hickory.asp

I'm not so sure about the lake. There isn't a lot of public access to it at least over this way. I live really close to rotary park and they lock it up at night.. I know when we take a boat out we go all the way down Springs Rd to the access there or over to Bethlehem marina. I have a friend that lives on the lake over in Caldwell county and I am gonna ask her what she thinks since I'm not super familiar with that area.

Whew, have caught up. Some interesting news has come out today. Would love to get the whole transcript of those 911 calls.

I'm glad KB has commented that AB would have to answer to her if responsible, this poor woman must be going out of her mind.

Someone asked about how long it might take for her to get to the States with visas and so forth. If she had the money she could fly over within about 72 hours and as long as there is availability on flights, which there is as I've checked. Australia is a party to the visa waiver program but you also need an ESTA - can apply online and takes about 3 days to process.

Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (ESTA)

All Australian passport-holders eligible to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must obtain approval through ESTA preferably at least three days (or 72 hours) prior to travel to the United States.

ESTA is a web-based system administered by the United States Government that determines the preliminary eligibility of visitors to travel under the Visa Waiver Program prior to boarding a carrier to the United States. Travellers who do not have a valid ESTA may be denied boarding, experience delayed processing or be denied admission at a United States&#8217; port of entry.

To obtain a travel authorisation, each family member travelling is required to complete an ESTA application using the online system. The United States government recommends that travellers use the online system no later than three days (72 hours) before departure; applications can be made after that but approval may not be received ahead of travel.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/travelbulletins/United_States-New_Entry_Requirements

There is access at Castle Bridge (at the Caldwell/Burke County line), over here in Sawmills (called waterworks), Grace Chapel Marina, there is another one in Grace Chapel but the name escapes me right now. I will keep thinking and add more as I think of them. There is also access at the end of Red Oak Road, Midway Grading Road (although this business isn't there anymore, so they may have renamed the road) There is also the Rhodhiss Dam Road.

I worked at a rock quarry for 7 years and I can tell you without a doubt there are many places to hide a body in a quarry, I sure hope that if there is one in the area that LE is taking a look at it, By the way has anyone heard how the mulch fire got started? I have tried keeping up with all of these threads but I have yet to see anything about how the fire was started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong