ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by MissMisty

Mindys, I believe you were wondering how he could have gotten her into his car. I am wondering the same thing. Seems that SOMEONE would have seen SOMETHING. I can't imagine she didn't struggle and wouldn't someone have noticed that? Unless maybe he used chlorophyl or something on her to knock her out?
Misty

I think part of the problem here lies in that people don't watch out for each other as much anymore. Now I'm not saying that anyone here is like that...but there are people out there who don't want to get involved. Either they don't care or they are fearful for their own lives. So they quietly walk away and don't help. It's a sad state of affairs but the reality of our world. Let me give you an example. Last night we went Christmas shopping. I'm standing in line checking out and the bathrooms in this store were immediately in front of the register where I was checking out. All of a sudden there is a child SCREAMING BLOODY MURDER from the bathroom. It was the most horrendous scream I ever heard and it continued for five minutes at least. I could not leave to go check because I was being checked out...but I repeatedly kept saying to the employees outside the bathroom..."somebody should go check to be sure that child is ok". Now here is the part that really bothers me. There were four employees right outside the bathroom cleaning and stocking things...NOT ONE of them went to see if everything was ok. They all just looked at each other and went "my goodness that is loud". I kid you not NO ONE went in to check on this child. Even at my insisting they just ignored my request and this child's screams. I won't be shopping at this store again!! As soon as I was checked out I went into the bathroom and the child's mother and his two sisters emerged from a stall. He was beet red and still crying but had softened his cries. I asked if everything was ok. She gave me the dirtiest look and said "he's fine...just misbehaving...now mind your own business!" I quickly responded "Well half the store could hear him screaming and I was the only one who would check to be sure someone wasn't hurting your child! If you weren't his mother and someone was really in here harming him...no one would have noticed." She stood there absolutely flabbergasted. Then thanked me for checking in on her child. She couldn't believe that with all his screaming that no one cared outside that door. She said she thought for sure she was going to get kicked out of the store. Apparently he was misbehaving and she took him in there to calm him down. His reaction is to scream when he doesn't get his way. We walked out the door of the bathroom and not one of the employees said a thing. Most didn't even look. How did they know that this child wasn't being hurt or abducted??!! NO ONE wanted to get involved. It was so sad and absolutely made me sick to my stomach.

This very well could have been the case for Dru. Maybe someone heard something but didn't want to get involved. They could be witnesses that the LE has info from. With it dark (I'm assuming it was dark because I live in IL and at 4:30 it's dark) it would have made it much easier to abduct her without anyone seeing anything though. I'm sure she was terrified and did as she was told...especially with a knife threatening her. We can hope that she fought back but none of us know what we would react like in that situation. So if all was quiet and dark...she easily could have been taken quickly without anyone noticing. Especially if he parked next to her.

It is all so sad...so frightening...
Praying for Dru~

Originally posted by MissMisty
Only thing is, there's really no way to tell if it was done from the inside, indicating that Dru may have been in there (which I think she was anyway) or if someone from outside did it.
HI MissMisty-
Yeah, no way to really tell if it's inside or not. But, it appears to me that a person sitting in that rear seat, maybe slumped against the window, would breathe against the glass and produce that.

tamjo614- I also wonder if it's on the outside, why aren't all the windows like that? The picture of the left (driver's) side was taken with the sun hitting the car in the same manner - those windows aren't all melting.:confused: I guess they moved the car for the light.

Also, the car is running, you can tell from the exhaust plume in the other pictures and the defrosted area on the windshield from the defroster going. In the pic taken of the rear, there is someone driving it. Just a warm body driving that car for a couple minutes is enough to get the smudges to show up again. I really think those smudges are on the inside of the glass.

mindys- The image of Dru's car isn't really good enough to inspect as much as I'd like. Photoshop 7 is good enough, but there's just no detail TO see in that webpage image by adjusting gamma, detail, etc... That lowell light shining on the front fender leaves the rear of the car in the dust- lighting/detail-wise (shadow detail). A higher-resolution copy, before it was sized for web publishing, would help. :)

Originally posted by Hammerized
HI MissMisty-
Yeah, no way to really tell if it's inside or not. But, it appears to me that a person sitting in that rear seat, maybe slumped against the window, would breathe against the glass and produce that.

Hammerized--
You are very observant. I agree about someone slumped in the seat. I do think it's very possible that Dru is the one who did that.
Misty

My heart breaks for Dru and her family. I wish there was something I could do, like interrogate the perp myself. I say this is one of those times his rights, if he is on video tape abducting Dru, should be null and void. He gave his rights up when he committed the unthinkable and terrorized an innocent family.

If he is on tape, stone it out of him, for righteousness sake.

God help them, the official searching is ending, no recovery of Dru:

"GRAND FORKS, North Dakota (AP) -- Investigators put the search for a missing University of North Dakota student on indefinite hold Saturday after two weeks of scouring the fields and rural roads across two states turned up no sign of her.

Police Capt. Mike Kirby said authorities had no plans to resume the search for Dru Sjodin unless something new developed in the case. Instead, they were concentrating on the evidence collected so far in her apparent kidnapping and trying to piece together clues to her whereabouts.

"I would never say never on a possible search," Kirby said Saturday. "But as of now, there is nothing organized.""

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/06/missing.student.ap/

Originally posted by Hammerized
Anybody notice the smears and swirls in the frozen condensation of his car's rear passenger window?

It looks just like mine when my son wipes his hands all over the inside of the window, and then later when it's humid in there- the smears show up. When it's cold, they turn to frost drawings. Just like the window glass in this picture.

I wonder if he did take her in his car, injured, with the rear child-locks engaged so she couldn't open the door. It's only the glass on that rear window, the others look normal. And so I am assuming this smear wasn't from the police looking for evidence.

I increased the contrast from the picture on the finddru website (sorry I can't attach it) and it's even more obvious.

Oh MY..I just enlarged the photo....my stomach gripped when I saw the scatch marks on the rear passenger window....

Oh, boy, would I like to get my hands on that dirty SOB....

Hammer...you caught something I had missed before.....you did good. I betcha your theory is right....Dru was injured and she did what she could to try to alert someone .....

So very sad!

North Dakota police put search for student on hold

GRAND FORKS, North Dakota (AP) --Investigators put the search for a missing University of North Dakota student on indefinite hold Saturday after two weeks of scouring the fields and rural roads across two states turned up no sign of her.

Police Capt. Mike Kirby said authorities had no plans to resume the search for Dru Sjodin unless something new developed in the case. Instead, they were concentrating on the evidence collected so far in her apparent kidnapping and trying to piece together clues to her whereabouts.

"I would never say never on a possible search," Kirby said Saturday. "But as of now, there is nothing organized."

A convicted rapist released from prison earlier this year is charged with kidnapping Sjodin, 22, from the parking lot of the Grand Forks shopping mall where she was working on November 22. Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 50, remained in jail Saturday and is not talking with authorities, his lawyer said.

No police briefings were planned for Saturday or Sunday, Kirby said.

"We feel bad saying the same thing all the time," Kirby said. "But right now there is nothing new."

Kirby said police would have more to say when evidence in the case is made public. Prosecutors have dropped their objection to unsealing the files, saying the decision on releasing the information now rests with the defense.

Rodriguez's public defender, David Dusek, said he would respond early next week to the motion to unseal the documents. Several media organizations filed the motion last week.

Interviewed on MSNBC, Dusek said Rodriguez told him that he had nothing to do with Sjodin's disappearance and does not know where she is.

"He came out and actually said 'I did not kidnap her,"' Dusek said.

The search for Sjodin and the case against Rodriguez are "on parallel tracks," Sgt. Mike Hedlund said.

"Our main focus at the moment is to try to find Dru," he said. "The investigation of course is very correlated to that because where he went, she went."

Rodriguez, released from prison in May after serving 23 years for attempted kidnapping and assault, was classified by the state of Minnesota as the most dangerous type of sex offender. He faces a preliminary hearing February 4 and arraignment February 6 in connection with Sjodin's disappearance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/12/06/missing.student.ap/index.html

I'm no graphic expert, but I thought I'd try it.
It does look rather disturbing. Almost as if someone scraped the frost off of the inside window with a credit card or something.
Original Picture
Window

Originally posted by starpatch
Oh MY..I just enlarged the photo....my stomach gripped when I saw the scatch marks on the rear passenger window....

Oh, boy, would I like to get my hands on that dirty SOB....

Hammer...you caught something I had missed before.....you did good. I betcha your theory is right....Dru was injured and she did what she could to try to alert someone .....

So very sad!

Prism,
Great job! Is there any way you can reduce the size of your enlargement just a bit? It's a little blurry.
Thanks!
Misty

I'll try this on you

car2.jpg

I guess I said scraped from the "inside" because of the apparent scraping motion, and its location on the window. If I were scraping from the outside I think I'd have done the larger portion with more of a horizontal stroke. It's position might be from someone in the back seat.

Originally posted by prism
I'll try this on you

car2.jpg

I guess I said scraped from the "inside" because of the apparent scraping motion, and its location on the window. If I were scraping from the outside I think I'd have done the larger portion. It's position might be from someone in the back seat.

Prism--
I think you are RIGHT ON with that observation! :clap:

I am watching Fox news right now...the host is furious that this creep, Rodriguez, is out and that no information is coming from him. They also reported that it is the coldest night yet in North Dakota since Dru went missing. :( I just feel sick right now. I keep picturing her in the back of that creep's car, trying to see out the window to see where she is. I can't stand it.
Misty

WOW!! Prism, Hammer, you guys gave me the ole bumps.

Maybe this needs to be forwarded to LE.

This is the kind of stuff they had on Westerfield (RIP Dannielle Van Dam) her palm print in his RV helped put him on Death Row.

Originally posted by mindys
MissMisty, I'm with you. I can't stand it.

I can't stand the fact that they have called off the search. I guess there must be much more going on behind the scenes, that we aren't aware of :(

I'm just wondering under what conditions this guy may have left Dru unattended for any period in the back seat.
Enough time for her to scrape off the frost ?
And why couldn't she just get out?
That would be assuming it was her that made these marks.

Yak, how are you?? I know how deeply you felt this. You were the reason I first heard of Dru. Job well done friend, it isn't over yet. Please keep at it. I appreciate all and I can bet ya the family does too!

I have the new People magazine. I will read it and if there is anything that stands out, I will post it.
Misty

Just got back a couple of days ago, haven't been online much, although I have my laptop, dial-up is slow so I don't post much when I'm out of town. Anyways, I wish they'd find Dru, she's touched my heart and I've thought about her alot since I heard of her missing. I get more paranoid with each passing day. I hope they find her soon.
If only they'd let me in the room with this sick perv, he looks so evil to me, cold and heartless......

Originally posted by mindys
WOW!! Prism, Hammer, you guys gave me the ole bumps.

Maybe this needs to be forwarded to LE.

This is the kind of stuff they had on Westerfield (RIP Dannielle Van Dam) her palm print in his RV helped put him on Death Row.
I saw the blow up of the back seat window.....I betcha that Dru did that...looking for help.

I am soooooooo angry that the SOB has more rights than Dru had, or her family....betcha that lawyer better watch his back! I would love to get my hands on his icky client!....

I was hoping they would find her...still, what if someone left for Florida in November...the heat would still be on in the house....
But, I am so sure that all homes have been checked..but...still...who knows.

I am so heartsick over this. I pray all the time that she will be found, safe and sound.

From People magazine...

Dru's boyfriend is 32. They had been dating for about 5 months. She had called to tell him about a purse she just bought. He said she has a "crazy purse habit." Then, she was suddenly cut off. "Her tone of voice never changed, there was no sense of urgency. I thought her phone just went dead."

He tried repeatedly to call her back but couldn't reach her. Contrary to early reports, Dru never cried, "Oh, no." His phone rang at 7:42 p.m. The caller ID indicated that the signal was coming from Dru's phone. All he heard was a lot of static and a few random touch-tone beeps. After 20 seconds or so, the call cut off.

Phone records show that Dru's phone had been left on, but not used, until 8 pm when either someone turned it off of the battery went dead. Signal from phone was pinging off a cell tower in Fisher's Landing, a highway rest stop in Minnesota, 12 miles southeast of Grand Forks. (Roughly midway between Grand Forks and Rodriguez' home in Crookston.

Rodriguez was living in Crookston since May after serving a 23 year prison sentence for attempted kidnapping where he forced a woman into his car and stabbed her. In 1980 he served a 6 year sentence for aggrivated rape. When police ran a check of men charged with abductions and sexual assaults they came up with 9 names in the Crookston-Grand Forks area, but Rodriguez was the only one who had been classified as a level 3 offender, the second most dangerous category.

Dru's parents divorced when she was a toddler. Her brother is 24 and lives in California. (I wonder what part?) Dru was an honors student, played on the golf team and was homecoming queen in 1999. She has a passion for art. Her favorite color is pink.

Her father says "We think she's alive and we're going to find her."

Misty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members