ND - Dru Sjodin, 22, Grand Forks, 22 Nov 2003 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Babcat said:
I don't believe he sought their early demise or called them... He simply allows free will and allows tragedy because it was chosen by the killer without regard to God's word or wishes.

Not sure I follow what you're trying to say or re-interpret that which I said, Babcat. I did not say God sought 'their' early demise... etc etc...

I merely said I don't believe God sees color, wealth or creed.

Make of it what you will. Nice speech anyway... BTW, my brother in law is married to the dau of a Minnisota / St Pauls Lutheran Minister - and they're all pretty 'devout'.

What exactly do you disagree with?

Annie,

I didn't say Lutherans were not devout. I said we were taught to pray for the living who are grieving the dead, and not to pray for the dead. We believe souls are judged upon death, so there is no point in praying for any dead person's soul. God has already taken care of that. There are several different denominations of Lutheran in the US. There is ELCA, LCA, Missouri Synod, Wisconsin Synod, etc. I was raised Missouri Synod. Maybe you could see how your brother-in-law's wife views prayer for the dead, or what denomination of Lutheran she was raised.

I also didn't say that those here on earth that die are not used by God in any fashion once they enter his kingdom. I have no idea whether God assigns positions to the souls, who are now alive again in His kingdom. I simply don't think that He chooses live souls on earth and feels they will make good angel leaders, so therefore calls them home by orchestrating some type of death for them. I'll go even further on this as to say that if a natural or unnatural disaster befalls a group of people, I don't believe God picks and chooses from the victims. I don't think He decides which ones will be of most use in His kingdom and therefore allows those to die, while intervening for others so that they can keep living.

My post wasn't a speech. I didn't say, "Simply because this is what I believe, others should also believe the same way." Sorry if I misinterpreted what you meant when you posted of a choice few angels being chosen by God to carry on His legacy. I interpreted that to mean God sees a wonderful soul on earth as being an asset to Him, so He calls that soul home. That apparently wasn't what you meant, but many people do believe exactly that way.

http://www.americasbest.com/news_newspapers/startribunecom.htm

"Federal prosecutors in North Dakota will pursue the case against a man held in the death of University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin, the Associated Press has learned.

A law enforcement source with knowledge of the case told the AP that an announcement on the status of the case is likely within the next couple of days. The source declined to give further details.

The move means it's possible that Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., a convicted sex offender, would be eligible for the death penalty if convicted"

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8644872.htm

"WDAZ-TV in Grand Forks reported Tuesday evening that Thomas Heffelfinger, U.S. Attorney for Minnesota, had booked an airline flight scheduled to arrive in Fargo today."

http://courttv.aol.com/news/2004/0512/sjodin_ap.html

" Federal prosecutors will pursue the case against a man held in the death of University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin, a law enforcement source said Tuesday."

http://www.americasbest.com/news_newspapers/startribunecom.htm

"Rodriguez, 51, entered a plea of not guilty to the federal charge, as he had earlier to a state charge of kidnapping in District Court in Grand Forks. That charge was dismissed Wednesday before U.S. marshals took custody of Rodriguez and transported him to Fargo, Grand Forks County State's Attorney Peter Welte said.

Welte and Polk County (Minn.) Attorney Greg Widseth joined Wrigley and Heffelfinger at the news conference, all saying that they agreed with the decision to move the case to federal court and have Wrigley act as lead prosecutor.

"We're all on the same team here," Welte said. "This case now belongs in federal court."

Dru's family attended.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/8654533.htm

"The federal indictment was filed Tuesday and was read in court Wednesday by Judge Magistrate Karen Klein. It says Rodriguez kidnapped Sjodin in North Dakota and took her to Minnesota and "held her for the purpose of sexually assaulting her," resulting in her death, and that he killed Sjodin "in an especially heinous, cruel, and depraved manner," involving "torture and serious physical abuse," and "substantial planning and premeditation."

I'm curious... how do they know this:

It says Rodriguez kidnapped Sjodin in North Dakota and took her to Minnesota and "held her for the purpose of sexually assaulting her," resulting in her death, and that he killed Sjodin "in an especially heinous, cruel, and depraved manner," involving "torture and serious physical abuse," and "substantial planning and premeditation."

Do you think they got him to talk?

No Isptrax, I don't believe he is talking since even after arrest he would not lead them to the body. I would surmise that the complete autopsy results revealed much to investigators about what Dru endured and that the LE has developed evidence on the planning/ etc.

FARGO, N.D. (AP) — Federal prosecutors said Thursday they will seek the death penalty against the man accused of killing Dru Sjodin, a college student who was abducted outside a shopping mall.

U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley made the announcement in the case against Alfonso Rodriguez Jr., 51, citing the particulars of the crime, "the criminal history of the person involved, as well as the impact on the victim, the victim's community."

It is the first time federal prosecutors have sought the death penalty in North Dakota. North Dakota has not had a state death penalty law since the 1970s, and the state's last execution was more than 90 years ago. Sjodin, 22, a University of North Dakota student, disappeared from a Grand Forks parking lot Nov. 22 after leaving her job at a Victoria's Secret. Her body was found in April in a ravine near Crookston, Minn., where Rodriguez was living with his mother.

http://www.courttv.com/news/2004/1029/sjodin_ap.html

And so does George W. Bush!

I was wondering what was going on in this case... This guy really deserves the Death Penalty ~ and very likely will get it.

From what I heard, he was in prison for 20 ~ for RAPE and "ATTEMPTED" MURDER. The only reason why it was only an attempt is because the woman managed to get away. They released him from prison and just a few short months later ~ he kidnapped and murdered Dru. God and her Angel only knows what he did to her before he killed her.

There's no fixing this guy... he's a real danger to society. The greater mercy to society would be to put him to death ~ and soon!

I think it was meant to be read in addition to the thing under her name -
"I believe in Laci and Connors law, and so does GW"

I doubt Katz meant GW deserves the death penalty...her profile says 4 more years! :)

KatzHome said:
Thanks Limon ~ that's exactly what it meant. {{{hugs}}}

I surely misunderstood. Please accept my humble apology Katz.
I would never hurt you with intention.

God bless you, Lanie
Help For The Missing

WasBlind said:
I surely misunderstood. Please accept my humble apology Katz.
I would never hurt you with intention.

God bless you, Lanie
Help For The Missing
{{{Hugs}}} Lanie ~ that's Ok ~ I know that you wouldn't from your previous posts ~ misunderstanding what I meant was probably a big shock to you. I was already thinking along the lines that if my post got quoted that people wouldn't have any idea what the line And so does George W. Bush meant... But I still wanted to voice my support for the President in the Election.

It finally dawned on me to put the following into my signature line:

"W" in '04!! FOUR MORE YEARS!

It won't be there forever... I'll probably take it out in a while... But for the moment it remains ~ A "catchy" phrase that recalls the prayers, fasting and Masses offered up to God for this Election.

God Bless you and those you love,
Susan

A website dedicated to Dru Katrina Sjodin has presented a photo collection of Dru.
http://www.volunteers4dru.org/DruForum/album_cat.php?cat_id=8
There is also a forum on this site for those wishing to share thoughts and feelings.
A friend of mine with contact to Dru's family informs me that Dru's middle name is Katrina and not Kathrina as is widely, but mistakenly given!

In eternal loving memory of Dru Katrina Sjodin! :)

Thank you for posting that link, Dawn. I'm heading over there after this post.

What happened to Dru makes me so sad ~ it should never have happened ~ the guy should have never been allowed to get anywhere near her. I was so full of hope over the cell phone signal ~ I really hoped they would find her before it was too late.

The only thing that makes any of this sorrow that we know, bearable, is the sure Hope of Heaven ~ beyond our wildest hopes and dreams ~ Heaven awaits us ~ our Everlasting Home.

http://www.devilslakejournal.com/articles/2004/11/23/news/news02.txt

The trial for a man accused of killing University of North Dakota student Dru Sjodin will not begin until March 6, 2006, a judge decided.
U.S. District Judge Ralph Erickson set the trial date for Alfonso Rodriguez Jr. in court filings Monday, after meeting privately with attorneys for about two hours. The announcement came on the first anniversary of the abduction of Sjodin, 22, from a Grand Forks shopping mall.

http://new.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=76234&section=News

Congress has failed to pass legislation named for Dru Sjodin, the 22-year-old University of North Dakota student who was abducted and killed last year, to create a national public sex-offender registry.
"Dru's Law" passed the Senate unanimously, but the bill has not made it out of the House Judiciary Committee.
~~~~~~~

Let's hope they get that bill through next time.

Some Democrats on the House Judiciary crime subcommittee have expressed civil liberties concerns about sex offender registries. House Republicans could have passed the bill without Democratic support, but time ran out before the Thanksgiving recess.

Rep. Bobby Scott of Virginia, the ranking Democrat on the crime subcommittee, opposed the bill.

"It sounds good," Scott said. "But you'd like to have some evidence that it would actually reduce crime."

Uh, hello? Civil liberties are very important but when you're talking about sexual predators, I think it's very important to arm the public with as much information as possible.

I look up registered sex offenders *all* the time. There's a sexual predator living a block from me, he preys on children under the age of 14. I have no idea why he's on the loose but I know what he looks like and I'll have my dog on him in a heartbeat if he comes anywhere near me or my children. I also found out the kindly man at the little bodega has a thing for girls under the age of 16. His wife seems nice but she has to know. I warned my neighbor who has two daughters, she didn't even know she could look up that information online.

Those idiots in Congress need to wake up and stop worrying about the rights of the sex offenders. They should worry about our right to know where these monsters are and what they are up to at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie