ND - Several' bodies found at Mandan, North Dakota business, 1 April 2019 *Arrest* #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by dotr, Apr 1, 2019.

1. x_files

x_files Well-Known Member

But so far no one has any idea his connection to the employees at the rental agency. I don't think the man who committed the Superbike murders had any connection just felt he was ripped off.

2. dansbia

dansbia Active Member

I think the woman was the target since her throat was cut and the others weren't. Her and CI are close in age, maybe they crossed paths (wether she's a patient of his or not) and he felt rejected, disrespected or something? Of course that's no excuse.

Jmo

Alcina, meanmaryjean, LadyL and 10 others like this.
  3. Kyshoegal

Kyshoegal Well-Known Member

What you said, but also that he has not obtained an attorney. Of any kind?? Why?? Would you not want someone working diligently on your defense as soon as possible? Assuming he is going to have some type of defense planned, as he has not pled guilty. Of course he can always represent himself which would lead me to believe he has some type of mental illness. Maybe a psychotic break, I don't know I am completely baffled

4. Kyshoegal

But that's still a connection, as ridiculous as it seems. He felt he was wronged by the bike shop. He however was a psychopath and killed other people as well. There is a connection somewhere, however small or insignificant it may be. Killers chose a victim based one something..convenience, location, size, opportunity, etc. IMO he did not pick them randomly, it was premeditated. I just have ZERO clue, I mean it could have been completely made up in his head. An interaction that he read or interrupted the wrong way. Only time and the court will tell

LadyL, Hazelnutty, GarAndTeed and 7 others like this.
  5. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

I tell ya, I’m at a loss here as to motive, but this is the way I’m leaning as well.

6. NervousNellie

NervousNellie Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Todd Kohlhepp definitely had motive (in his opinion) and connection, in that he was a customer (who never returned calls to the police following the murders).

From this article: Todd Kohlhepp and Superbike: Doubts, no doubt, how and why

human, Hazelnutty, x_files and 5 others like this.
  7. ilovechili

ilovechili Well-Known Member

That is odd re the attorney. I doubt he has the funds to pay one of his own for long if he did retain one. We shall see I guess at the next hearing.

Representing himself would not be a good move but he would not be the first to ever do so if he did. It sure is not something we see very often though.

Maybe he is hoping or waiting for family to come through and help or has to dispose of some assets to pay a retainer? Maybe he thinks the national attention of this crime will bring him an attorney who offers to take it on just for the public exposure?

8. ilovechili

Since seeing the Superbike thing and then reading up on some of it, my thoughts have turned significantly from where they were.

It could be so simple that he, as another business owner and tenant, was not recognized by an RJR employee when out and about in town. It could be so simple as he called or was in the office at some point in time and was asked "who are you and what is your name" when he felt he should be known and recognized... In his perception anyhow.

Total speculation on my part but that case just struck me, four people, over an apparent perceived disrespect.

Todd Kohlhepp also joked about it, compared it to a video game that once started the focus is the same, it was accomplished in less than ten minutes. He joked that maybe the attention to the case would make his "real estate business" better known. So we have a "business owner" there too or someone who thought he was...

Again, total speculation but the similarities are eerie to me. Kohlhepp did receive a form letter from LE, all known customers did, but he was never on LE's radar nor the radar of the owner's wife nor other employees/customers. (The owner's wife went through **** and back and went through DNA tests TWICE that said her child she was pregnant with at the time of the murders was not the child of her dead husband--he WAS, they had mixed up the evidence and labeling of DNA of two of the fatalities when processing the scene. A great grandmother died never knowing whether the child was her grandson's or not and whether the wife was responsible.)

In this Mandan case, the perp was caught and security cams played a part. With Kohlhepp, they did not have that. I am thankful in this one because it looks like CI would not necessarily ever be on the radar but for such things either as there seems to be no obvious motive nor would he be of any more notice than anyone else. Had Kohlhepp not confessed, I do not think that one would be solved and it would not be LE's fault, that is how random it was--he was a customer though--but with no real reason that anyone was aware of, except for his perception of how he was treated... We tend to think people do not kill over something most would see as minor...

Unless of course, LE knows of a motive that we do not.

Again, total speculation and jmo.

Han, GarAndTeed, Subiechik21 and 4 others like this.
  9. Tillicum

Tillicum Well-Known Member

North Dakota company where 4 were slain seeks normalcy

Jackie Fakler's memories of arriving at the building that morning are bleak. She had planned to drive to work with her husband, Robert — they co-owned the business — but a last-minute decision sent him on ahead.

"I knew Robert was in there. I wasn't sure what happened," Fakler said. "I knew they were doing CPR on him. I did not know about the other three victims at the time. And then it was panic, doing a head count with all the employees — who was there, and who wasn't."

Fakler said at first she thought her husband had suffered cardiac arrest.

"But when I saw blood on the floor, I knew it wasn't a heart attack," she said.

More info at link.

Alcina, Seattle1, TRB and 19 others like this.
  10. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

I had a Chiropractor, report an employee for being disrespectful because she didn't call him DR. We did not know he was a DR, he made a big stink with the corp. office trying to have her fired. Some folks DEMAND, their title be used.

Yes, the disrespectful theory could be a possibility.

Alcina, asmi106082, Seattle1 and 13 others like this.
  11. NumbersGal0906

NumbersGal0906 Active Member

Robert Quick filed his appearance entry on the 16th, & his defense has moved forward in requesting Discovery. If you all look closely, they’ve requested Discovery from some type of “storage drive” that the State intends to use as evidence. I’m including the link to the NC Court Records search for anyone who wants to keep up with the Docket Entries http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/default.aspx

As far as paying for his attorney, I am going to guess that his parents have mortgaged everything they own to help with his defense. Unless Isaak has a stash of money of his own MOO

Attached Files:

Alcina, Mercedes, asmi106082 and 15 others like this.
  12. ilovechili

Thank you for this info. The storage drive is also interesting, one would think they do have a motive possibly, in just guessing at what it may contain anyhow.

13. NumbersGal0906

“Storage Drive”....quite possibly the device housing the footage of Isaak entering/leaving the premises; and/or the the device housing the footage of him actually committing the murders.

Going after the “big gun” first so Quick can see what may be the irrefutable evidence that’s going to put Chad in jail for the rest of his life, and so that Quick can plan what type of defense to use so that he doesn’t wind up looking like a circus side show in the process. He’s going to be taking enough hits as it is in defending this guy MOO

14. Kyshoegal

NumbersGal, that would be my thought as well

15. Via Marple

Via Marple Here to learn how devious minds work

That has to be it, I can't imagine how the hard drive in the office computer server with his rental records etc would be much use.

16. ilovechili

Of course. For some reason, my mind went to the search of his home and possibly personal PC and a storage drive. It makes far more sense by far though it is from security footage. I guess I have been so keyed on wondering what the motive is that I went where I wanted to go with my thoughts :) and did not stop to think about it.

In this case, I think it is going to be pretty difficult to come up with a defense or mount an effective one. It seems pretty cut and dried and that is just from what we know thus far.

I think they definitely have the "who" but I still want to know the "why".

Mercedes, LietKynes, x_files and 4 others like this.
  17. NumbersGal0906

Actually, those were my first thoughts too. Something off his computer, something on the hard drive, maybe an online journal like they discovered with Sol & he had the pages stored on there. Maybe his cell phone with texts, voice notes he’d left himself, whatever. Anything to do with the motive. Then it struck me that Quick doesn’t really care about the motive. He’s being paid to do his best to defend Chad, & IMO the motive wouldn’t be helpful at all to his defense.

He knows they have surveillance, I would imagine Chad isn’t being very cooperative as far as giving up information, & he needs to see for himself how clear the footage is, if it can be proven without a doubt it is Chad, & exactly what what it is they have on this surveillance. If the footage is clear, you can clearly see his face, clothing, him committing the acts, etc, there is going to be absolutely no defense.

I’d imagine if this is the case he’ll tell him it’s in his best interest to plead guilty. Since ND doesn’t offer the death penalty, I don’t think much would change in his sentencing regardless of if he were found guilty at trial, or just admitted to it. The outcome will still be the same, he’s still going to spend the rest of his life behind bars.

18. sleuthin4fun

sleuthin4fun Active Member

With regards to his parents shelling out money for his defense, I could see that but have we even heard anything about his family?

x_files and human like this.
  19. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

Any updates? I'm not finding anything.

Kyshoegal and Via Marple like this.
  20. Seattle1

Seattle1 Well-Known Member

I think it's possible that Robert Quick also contracts with the Public Defender's office to provide defense as PD counsel.

This is a huge case to defend, and (private) legal cost for quad murder charge could bankrupt a wealthy individual. Certainly he wouldn't take his folks down that road (we'd hope).

MOO

About - Robert Quick Law

Immediately after graduating from Law School, I took and passed the North Dakota Bar Exam and moved to Bismarck, ND where I accepted a position working as a state-employed Public Defender. During this time, I had the opportunity to practice criminal defense exclusively, and really learn the trade with many excellent individuals. Our office handled everything from B Misdemeanor Minors in Possession of Marijuana to AA Felony Murder or GSI cases. My first solo Felony jury trial involved 14 counts of Attempted Murder.

From September 2008 until January 2013, I worked as a full-time Public Defender in the South Central Judicial District. My caseload ranged anywhere from 50 to 100+ open cases, with all types of felony and misdemeanor charges. It was a very rewarding experience, but after 4+ years, I desired to move on with my legal career and opened Robert Quick Law on January 14, 2013.

Niner, meanmaryjean and Via Marple like this.