ND ND - Thomas 'Tom' Bearson, 19, Fargo, 20 Sep 2014 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

(BBM)
Just slightly contradicting yourself there but let's look at what you have.

You see, Geographic profiling is a method not an actual living, thinking person. So at that, the method has no idea WHAT crime took place, therefore GP would certainly be useful in this particular case primarily because there are the key features needed. 1). Last known area to be alive. 2). Location of the body when found. 3). Distance between the two. 4). Tentative time frame.

(When I say, "We", I'm meaning us out here in the general public and not the LE who have access to the more detailed information).

As such, GP and the KNOWN information is in fact, far and above a more solid, factual based view rather than, "I'd bet", "I'd guess" or "I think". At this point there is absolutely no evidence other than rumor and innuendo about drug involvement, drug dealers or a drug situation.

Young people often talk loose and big on social media in an attempt to make themselves look hip and cool about drinking and drug use. So the mention of these activities is absolutely in no way proof that the activity has taken place.

I'm aware of the principles of geographic profiling, was just applying my own thoughts using the method. (I do know that by definition a method is not a living thing.) Again, that theory is only a valid tool when we are talking about a serial killer, which does not appear to apply in this case. At least not in my opinion, though yours may be different and I respect that. Many elements of the crime point to an unplanned killing which is why I think it was a crime of passion by someone who was familiar with him. As I said, my thoughts are that this is drug-related. Hate to think that, but that is where most signs point right now in my opinion.

I have a question, how to you plead guilty to a crime before your court hearing?? Yes anything you say to an officer can be used against you in a trial, but there wasn't a trial here. From what I recall, Tom was arrested, and charged with DUI, then the same day or next day he pled guilty? Or was his ticket one that could be paid without going to court? But that wouldn't make sense either, because he was sentenced, and in order to sentence, there would be have to be a court date!! A simple traffic ticket, like speeding with no wrecks involved, in many areas you can just pay the fine, admit to guilt, and be done with it. But not with a DUI as far as I know. Something is fishy about that to me, or else I'm just not thinking through this fibro fog clearly.

Anyone care to shed some light into my fog??

I have a question, how to you plead guilty to a crime before your court hearing?? Yes anything you say to an officer can be used against you in a trial, but there wasn't a trial here. From what I recall, Tom was arrested, and charged with DUI, then the same day or next day he pled guilty? Or was his ticket one that could be paid without going to court? But that wouldn't make sense either, because he was sentenced, and in order to sentence, there would be have to be a court date!! A simple traffic ticket, like speeding with no wrecks involved, in many areas you can just pay the fine, admit to guilt, and be done with it. But not with a DUI as far as I know. Something is fishy about that to me, or else I'm just not thinking through this fibro fog clearly.

Anyone care to shed some light into my fog??

I was confused by this as well. I've never heard of a DUI handled in this manner. Strange. Very strange.

Wow 2hope4 what a great observation and I really think you could be onto something there!

Thinking of Tom tonight, hope justice for this young man's life is served. RIP

I know a lot has changed and not all states have the same laws, but 40+ years ago, I was charged with DWI. I was told if my test wasn't too far off, I'd be given a ride home, otherwise, I'd be spending the night. It was about 3-3:30 am by the time everything was done, and at 8:00 am they started banging on the bars to wake me up for breakfast because I had to be in court at 9:00. Since I was still half drunk (my level was .19), I just pleaded guilty and was sentenced immediately. I was out of there before 10 am. One of many reasons I stopped drinking shortly afterwards. :blushing:

I would assume he was pulled over for the DUI and Minor in Possession charge while driving his own automobile? I haven't read any articles mentioning his car or its whereabouts.

" Early on Sept. 12, Bearson was arrested for driving under the influence and minor in possession. An officer pulled him over for driving west in an eastbound lane a few blocks from Reed Hall, according to court papers.

A breath test found that Bearson's blood-alcohol level was 0.18 percent. He failed one field sobriety test, and because of his poor balance at the time, two others were not given for safety reasons, court papers said.

He pleaded guilty to both misdemeanors later that day and was ordered to pay $1,075, serve 36 hours of community service and receive a chemical dependency evaluation, court papers said."

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/l...dsu-sartell-high-school-tom-bearson/16053665/

That's a lot of cash.

Can you make installment payments?

I know from a friend's brother that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

His car insurance would go sky high and the fact that he is a minor would play an even bigger role.

I believe there are other costs as well.

I imagine the eval cost and court costs?

I would assume he was pulled over for the DUI and Minor in Possession charge while driving his own automobile? I haven't read any articles mentioning his car or its whereabouts.

" Early on Sept. 12, Bearson was arrested for driving under the influence and minor in possession. An officer pulled him over for driving west in an eastbound lane a few blocks from Reed Hall, according to court papers.

A breath test found that Bearson's blood-alcohol level was 0.18 percent. He failed one field sobriety test, and because of his poor balance at the time, two others were not given for safety reasons, court papers said.

He pleaded guilty to both misdemeanors later that day and was ordered to pay $1,075, serve 36 hours of community service and receive a chemical dependency evaluation, court papers said."

http://www.sctimes.com/story/news/l...dsu-sartell-high-school-tom-bearson/16053665/

I obviously don't know for sure one way or the other if it was his vehicle or not. But having had friends & relatives attend some larger universities over the past 10-15 years, it is not very common for a Freshman to have a car on campus. The cost of parking permits is ridiculous on college campuses and there is typically next to zero parking spaces available near a dorm. Typically you have to park in a ramp or lot several blocks from the dorm.

I obviously don't know for sure one way or the other if it was his vehicle or not. But having had friends & relatives attend some larger universities over the past 10-15 years, it is not very common for a Freshman to have a car on campus. The cost of parking permits is ridiculous on college campuses and there is typically next to zero parking spaces available near a dorm. Typically you have to park in a ramp or lot several blocks from the dorm.
Good point. Thanks.

Interesting article about another mysterious missing MSUM Student Patrick Kycia, 19, Moorhead, MN 09/23/05:

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2006/12/092305-patrick-kycia-19-moorhead-mn.html

I also see conflicting reports about where TB was found. Some sources say "inside" the RV sales lot, other sources say "outside"?? It is my understanding that the RV center was open for business Saturday & Monday. One would assume that if TB was there Sat/Sun &/or Mon - someone from the lot would have noticed? Was he found "outside of the RV lot? or placed "inside" the RV lot Monday night/early Tuesday am.

NDSU State of the University address begins now, live streaming at:

President Bresciani will present the State of the University address, “We serve our citizens,” today at 11 a.m. in Festival Concert Hall. If you can’t be there, live streaming video will be available at 10:55 a.m. at www.ndsu.edu/president/speeches, and @NDSU will live tweet the speech. #NDSUStateofU

I don't know if they will address the case, but it might be worth listening to.

Interesting article about another mysterious missing MSUM Student Patrick Kycia, 19, Moorhead, MN 09/23/05:

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2006/12/092305-patrick-kycia-19-moorhead-mn.html

I also see conflicting reports about where TB was found. Some sources say "inside" the RV sales lot, other sources say "outside"?? It is my understanding that the RV center was open for business Saturday & Monday. One would assume that if TB was there Sat/Sun &/or Mon - someone from the lot would have noticed? Was he found "outside of the RV lot? or placed "inside" the RV lot Monday night/early Tuesday am.

He was found "outside" in the RV lot. The "inside" is referring to the fenced in area around the RV lot.

Crickets when it comes to TB or any mention of the crime.

I am not surprised. Here in one of the South Dakota state universities, there was a 'suicide' of a young man, a football player. Every time I saw him on campus he was smiling and just upbeat. The last time I saw him on campus was a Thursday afternoon and he was very upset and agitated; he was pacing in the quad and was not his normal friendly, happy self. Thursday was also the last time anyone saw him, in the dorm. On Monday morning an RA asked a guy that lived in the same dorm to check on him because of the horrible odor coming from his room. He was nearly decapitated because he had been hanging since Thursday, ME's TOD. It took 2 weeks for the school administration to acknowledge this and it was mainly because other students were planning a memorial, to be held at a park by the school. There was no immediate mention of this guy's death in the media until after the memorial. Skeptic that I am, I still wonder about how he died.

NDSU State of the University address begins now, live streaming at:

President Bresciani will present the State of the University address, “We serve our citizens,” today at 11 a.m. in Festival Concert Hall. If you can’t be there, live streaming video will be available at 10:55 a.m. at www.ndsu.edu/president/speeches, and @NDSU will live tweet the speech. #NDSUStateofU

I don't know if they will address the case, but it might be worth listening to.

Jacie, you're right, there was no mention of the TB case during the State of the University address. However, it is interesting that the President of NDSU stated his pride in the area's low crime rate, and high quality of life. That along with an impressive record for increased enrollment.
I would suspect they realize the importance of solving the TB case, to keep intact those bragging rights (besides just the general desire for justice).

To me , that is very sad that this child's life was not acknowledged. Terrible

To me , that is very sad that this child's life was not acknowledged. Terrible

Running a university is a business. While it's definitely sad, they need to move on besides he's definitely not forgotten. They will be back into the news again when more information pops.

It's just bad PR to re-hash a freshmen student who showed up dead his first month at school especially when there is nothing else to add.

It's getting quiet around here.

Running a university is a business. While it's definitely sad, they need to move on besides he's definitely not forgotten. They will be back into the news again when more information pops.

It's just bad PR to re-hash a freshmen student who showed up dead his first month at school especially when there is nothing else to add.

It's getting quiet around here.

To me it is bad PR that this university does not have the decency to acknowledge a student who theorectically represents all students that they care sooooo much about. Not!

Compare that response to the UVA where Hannah Graham is missng and perhaps part of a serial killer.

The nation is focused on them. Hannah is even in People magazine.

The response, or lack of by ND is pathetic.

Hannah was underage drinking as well.

UVA has been compassionate .

As the parent of a NDSU Junior, I took the liberty and emailed the President and Campus Security last week expressing my concern for our students safety and requesting the campus update/or a least remind students to remain alert. I received this response yesterday:

Dear Erin,
President Bresciani shared your letter of concern with me, and asked me to respond. First of all, thank you for your message and your concern for student safety at NDSU. We take these issues very seriously and work to ensure students understand the resources available to them, as well as the steps they can take to enhance their personal safety both on and off campus. Students have received multiple messages via a variety of methods to remind them of these resources. Secondly, please know that we take very seriously the obligation to create an environment that is conducive to learning and student success. Personal safety is extremely important and we provide a variety of resources to students in an effort to help them make good personal choices. We also work hard to ensure our facilities and grounds are maintained in a manner that promotes personal safety.

I should also note that we are very intentional and strategic about when and how we notify students regarding safety issues and resources. It is our experience that too much messaging at any given time has the effect of desensitizing students to these concerns. It is essential that we utilize our notifications in a way that both enhances awareness and reinforces the importance of paying attention to the messaging in the event of a true campus emergency.

The investigation into the death of Tom Bearson is in the hands of local law enforcement agencies. They provide information to the public as they determine appropriate to assist the investigation. Unfortunately, we all have many questions that don’t currently have answers. In the meantime, NDSU continues to encourage students to bring forth questions and concerns about safety on campus so that we can address them to the best of our ability.

Thank you again for your genuine concern. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have additional questions.

Sincerely.
Tim

Timothy A. Alvarez, Ph.D.
Vice President for Student Affairs
NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors