NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 Jun 2001 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to put myself in the mindset of a potentially 'guilty' person in the neighborhood:

I look out my window one sunny morning, see a full grown man walking by, and make a split second decision to lure him in and kill him. To Hell with any scene he might cause or any witnesses that might notice.

Nah, that whole notion just doesn't vibe with me. I can't see someone randomly deciding to go after him as he walks. Even someone in a car who happened to be driving by-just seems like a complicated endeavour.
I still think he might have been making a stop before meeting his ride. He seemed pretty set on walking, and I suspect that it was more than just making it easier for the girl to find him. Speculation of course. Details say he was carrying his Uniform and wearing a Cubs shirt and hat. Did he always do this? Did he have a locker at work? Why change his clothing when he got to work instead of just wearing the uniform during his walk.

Trying to put myself in the mindset of a potentially 'guilty' person in the neighborhood:

I look out my window one sunny morning, see a full grown man walking by, and make a split second decision to lure him in and kill him. To Hell with any scene he might cause or any witnesses that might notice.

Nah, that whole notion just doesn't vibe with me. I can't see someone randomly deciding to go after him as he walks. Even someone in a car who happened to be driving by-just seems like a complicated endeavour.
I still think he might have been making a stop before meeting his ride. He seemed pretty set on walking, and I suspect that it was more than just making it easier for the girl to find him. Speculation of course. Details say he was carrying his Uniform and wearing a Cubs shirt and hat. Did he always do this? Did he have a locker at work? Why change his clothing when he got to work instead of just wearing the uniform during his walk.

That's why I think many people would argue that it was a close neighbor who Jason was at least somewhat familiar with. If it was in fact someone in the neighborhood who harmed him, I would be thoroughly shocked if it wasn't someone that lived right on his block; maybe even within the first couple houses.
As for carrying his work shirt, it's possible he didn't want to sweat in it before having to wear it all day. None of these items ever popped up. I wouldn't be too shocked if whoever hurt Jason kept the hat as a trophy.
Just to be clear- are you suggesting that he met someone before his ride and got killed by them, or that he met someone beforehand, ditched his work clothes, and skipped town?

Just to be clear- are you suggesting that he met someone before his ride and got killed by them, or that he met someone beforehand, ditched his work clothes, and skipped town?
More than likely was killed by them. I'm saying this as opposed to a neighbor just radomly deciding that that was going to be the time for them to waste this guy for no reason with no premeditation. Much easier to carry out a murder/cover up if the victim is going to come to you. As for what this stop could have been, and with who, I have no idea. We didn't hear much about his computer- only that he had one and it was checked- so I'm curious if Jason was fond of visiting online chatrooms. A reserved guy with only a small handful of friends probably would have some kind of life online, as often times it's easier to talk to strangers in the virtual world. Chat rooms were pretty "in" at this time, as there wasn't any social media sites yet. Maybe he met someone in an online chatroom, found out they live relatively close by, decided to stop by before work and then.....(???? )

Good post.

I don't think this was a random event. Small children, and to some extent women, yes sure, they're more likely to fall victim to an impulsive killer/sexual predator. A 6foot tall dude walking through a residential neighbourhood at 10am? Not so much.

The evidence (or lack thereof) points to someone on familiar terms with Jason. Someone he knew and trusted enough to go along with that day.

So then where would Jason be concealed if it was a neighbor? buried under their floorboards? Hard to lure him into a car/home right in front of his own house without other neighbors potentially noticing

So then where would Jason be concealed if it was a neighbor? buried under their floorboards? Hard to lure him into a car/home right in front of his own house without other neighbors potentially noticing

Rural farmland is my guess. I happen to know from research that there are at least a few people near Jason that owned farmland (or a family farm), something that I'm guessing is not too uncommon in Nebraska; especially if it's owned by the older generation. My top theory (unless proven otherwise) is that someone nearby lured him into home or car, harmed him, drove his body out to ye old rural farm and buried him. I don't believe that Jason is anywhere near Omaha, or at the very least that he is anywhere near his block. Less of a chance of someone finding anything if the victim is buried on your own property out in the middle of nowhere. Also would have the luxury of time- burying a grown man must take a lot of it. Usually when victims' bodies are found, they're in shallow graves in the woods. However, on one's own private land, it can be much more thorough. Then the perp can drive back to Omaha, maybe offer their home to be searched, join the search party and play dumb. Obviously there is nothing concrete there, but seeing how there's nothing else to go off of, it's as good as anything I suppose.

Hi Websleuths, I am new here; and I find this case so deeply troubling. I only knew of Jason from his DJ’ing on The River, but he was my favorite DJ! He was fun and interesting without having to resort to sarcasm or vulgarity. Sometimes you just get good vibes from someone and that’s all he ever put out. I have studied the area Jason lived, trying to map out a route he may have taken to meet his ride at Benson High. I believe a witness saw him approaching, or on, Bedford Av; but I didn't see a cross-street number provided. In my opinion this was a horrific crime of opportunity.
The time of day this occurred - typically when people are already at their jobs, or if they work a night shift, they are in bed trying to sleep. Most people at that time of day aren't just lollygagging about if they own a home. Which might explain why no one saw anything. Given the area of North Omaha, I believe it’s reasonable to assume who is hanging about is someone, or a group of someone’s, who are unemployed and/or up-to-no-good.
I looked at the homes around the area that feature a quick access to snag someone off a sidewalk or street and force them into a basement via a garage.
There is such a house in the area. A perfect spot to snatch someone, concealed enough so it could occur without witnesses; and it's a rental. It would be interesting to know if the person renting that particular home at that time. had a relative who stayed there with a prison record or a gang affiliation. Imagine a group of no-goods standing around a vehicle in that driveway, garage door open that leads into the lower level of the house. They say something slick to Jason, and he just wants to get by them, and to work. That ticks them off, maybe they're high or drunk or garden-variety sociopaths and they look for trouble because that’s who and what they are. Since there's not a long distance to the garage -they overpower him and get him out of sight, no one is the wiser.
Does anyone know if a K-9 was ever utilized? I apologize if this is a rehash, I haven't read all the posts yet.
One can hope if this is a viable scenario, perhaps a participant can't sleep at night now and they’re going to crack and tell someone. Or maybe they have told someone and the listener thought they were delusional.
I know I cannot list the address of this home on here. I will provide the details privately, and if it’s not on your list, perhaps this could be added as House C.?
Thank you, I pray that whatever happened to Jason is revealed and his family can have some closure.

Hi Websleuths, I am new here; and I find this case so deeply troubling. I only knew of Jason from his DJ’ing on The River, but he was my favorite DJ! He was fun and interesting without having to resort to sarcasm or vulgarity. Sometimes you just get good vibes from someone and that’s all he ever put out. I have studied the area Jason lived, trying to map out a route he may have taken to meet his ride at Benson High. I believe a witness saw him approaching, or on, Bedford Av; but I didn't see a cross-street number provided. In my opinion this was a horrific crime of opportunity.
The time of day this occurred - typically when people are already at their jobs, or if they work a night shift, they are in bed trying to sleep. Most people at that time of day aren't just lollygagging about if they own a home. Which might explain why no one saw anything. Given the area of North Omaha, I believe it’s reasonable to assume who is hanging about is someone, or a group of someone’s, who are unemployed and/or up-to-no-good.
I looked at the homes around the area that feature a quick access to snag someone off a sidewalk or street and force them into a basement via a garage.
There is such a house in the area. A perfect spot to snatch someone, concealed enough so it could occur without witnesses; and it's a rental. It would be interesting to know if the person renting that particular home at that time. had a relative who stayed there with a prison record or a gang affiliation. Imagine a group of no-goods standing around a vehicle in that driveway, garage door open that leads into the lower level of the house. They say something slick to Jason, and he just wants to get by them, and to work. That ticks them off, maybe they're high or drunk or garden-variety sociopaths and they look for trouble because that’s who and what they are. Since there's not a long distance to the garage -they overpower him and get him out of sight, no one is the wiser.
Does anyone know if a K-9 was ever utilized? I apologize if this is a rehash, I haven't read all the posts yet.
One can hope if this is a viable scenario, perhaps a participant can't sleep at night now and they’re going to crack and tell someone. Or maybe they have told someone and the listener thought they were delusional.
I know I cannot list the address of this home on here. I will provide the details privately, and if it’s not on your list, perhaps this could be added as House C.?
Thank you, I pray that whatever happened to Jason is revealed and his family can have some closure.
Welcome to Ws, thanks for your detailed and insightful first post!

Does anyone know if a K-9 was ever utilized?

Kelly mentioned at one point in an interview that dogs were never used because she didn't really know about that method at the time. By the time she found out about them, she felt that too much time had passed (along with various bouts of stormy weather) that would have knocked Jason's scent away. They did, however, use helicopter, infared and mounted a ground search.

Welcome to the thread!

Rural farmland is my guess. I happen to know from research that there are at least a few people near Jason that owned farmland (or a family farm), something that I'm guessing is not too uncommon in Nebraska; especially if it's owned by the older generation.
I was a neighbor, and my family has a farm about 3-4 hours from Omaha. We don't even bury pets up there, its too much hassle. You're correct, it would be secluded enough, and many have access to such places. Many oddballs too. Like that nut that has the semi-truck sized TRUMP sign on his barn 1/2 way to Lincoln. Critters are a big problem. They eventually unearth something like that.

• Jason Anthony Jolkowski – The Charley Project
    jolkowski_jason.jpg
  • jolkowski_jason2.jpg
  • jolkowski_jason3.jpg

• jolkowski_jason5.jpg
  • jolkowski_jason_ap.jpg
Jolkowski, circa 2001; Age-progression to age 36 (circa 2017)
  • Missing Since 06/13/2001
  • Missing From Omaha, Nebraska
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 06/24/1981 (38)
  • Age 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'1, 160 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A white Chicago Cubs or Sammy Sosa t-shirt, a blue or black Chicago Cubs baseball cap, black dress pants, and black dress shoes.
  • Medical Conditions Jolkowski has learning disabilities related to speech and language. The disabilities may make him appear to be mildly mentally disabled, but he is actually of above average intelligence.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Jolkowski's nickname is JJ.
"Jolkowski was supposed to start a new job a week after he vanished, and was excited about it; he never showed up to begin work there. He had no more than $60 on his person on the day he disappeared, and no personal items were missing from his room. He did his household chores as usual up until the time he disappeared.

Jolkowski's loved ones suspect foul play may have been involved in his disappearance. They say he is too responsible to have left without warning, and he was not having any problems at the time of his disappearance. He is described as a shy person who was not involved with drugs or alcohol and was close to his family at the time of his disappearance. He has no known enemies.

Jolkowski was born in Grand Island, Nebraska. At the time of his disappearance, he was attending community college part-time and had gotten into the radio broadcasting program".

I was a neighbor, and my family has a farm about 3-4 hours from Omaha. We don't even bury pets up there, its too much hassle. You're correct, it would be secluded enough, and many have access to such places. Many oddballs too. Like that nut that has the semi-truck sized TRUMP sign on his barn 1/2 way to Lincoln. Critters are a big problem. They eventually unearth something like that.

Unless you wrap a body up in cloth or something first. But heck, I'm certainly no expert in that field. Could be a hassle, but if I ever wanted to make someone disappear, and if I knew I wouldn't be on any suspicion or radar, I'd probably put them on my secluded property that no one could probably even find. Doubtful that cops are gonna trek the back country unless they had any real reason to. Anyhow, it's just my personal theory. He's gotta be somewhere, after all.

There isn't anything unique about JJ's case per se, thousands of people have disappeared without a trace. What stands out is the fact Jason didn't have the usual risk factors of a missing person. He was a tall, fit young man with no criminal past, no drug usage, no gang activity, and no known mental-health issues, who disappeared in the morning of a residential neighbourhood.

There is one person, and one person alone who knows what happened to JJ. He obviously got lucky and covered his tracks well but I hope what he did to that boy haunts him forever.

The thing that stands out for me in this case is that on the surface there is nothing to indicate any reason he might have gone missing.
1000's do go missing. But when the surface is scratched you have.... something... theories:
Drugs
Female who is a possible victim of a predator.
Young child who is a possible victim of a predator.
Drinking out with friends... or just out drinking and wonder off.
Take off due to problems (Maura Murray - from there who knows)
Running from law.
Possible reason for suicide. Just never found.

Point is there is something.... normally when you dig even just a bit.
In this one there is not a thing... so far.
Closest we have come are just theories on theories.
They are:
He was being "pressured" to join the priesthood.
Possibly..... "POSSIBLY" gay. (Did he think it mattered to someone?.... so he took off)
On that note, I feel bad even posting it, but it should be mentioned because who knows HIS state of mind if that were the case. Maybe he felt that he didn't want to face it...? Or couldn't bring himself to "come out".... Sheeeesh.
Or... if that was true... IF...
Then did he meet with someone before heading in to work that day... Just make a quick stop...
Maybe something went wrong... Maybe they both said heck with it and took off....
(Samuel Sherman maybe? I know he took off quite a bit after, but maybe they were together before then and once the buzz started going he had to get out of Dodge...)
Criminey... frustrating.

Other than that. It is still, extremely rare for a male to be preyed upon.
It does happen. So I'm leaving that out there.
But if we put the list of things together that could have happened we have ghosts....
JJ is the most mysterious case I know of.

Does anyone have Occam's razor lying around?

My hope is that if someone our there did do something to JJ maybe they would put out a notice so the public in some form.
Maybe not even completely disclose the location, but maybe just even start/end with a "hey, this is what happened."
Just let the family know.
Pushing two decades now.
Maybe the person just had a lapse in judgement. Maybe they were going through a rough time and didn't mean to do this horrible thing.
Sometimes things happen.
Please, if you are a person who happens upon this and you had something to do with it just reach out and explain at least what happened.

There have been a few cold cases solved just this month using genealogy sites from DNA. I linked a story that I saw just this morning. I know the circumstances are completely different, but if anything it just serves as a reminder that just because someone was initially cleared by the police, it does not make them necessarily innocent. This perp was a coach to one of the woman's sons, so it was someone familiar to the family who was initially cleared by police. A circumstance I'm guessing could possibly be similiar in JJ's case.
https://nypost.com/2019/12/19/josep...sted-for-linda-patterson-slatens-1981-murder/

FWIW, I did request the case files for Samuel Sherman's disappearance, just to see what the Omaha PD even have on it. I got a response from them Today. I may give the records department a call within the next few days....

Attachments

• IMG_2860.JPG
    IMG_2860.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 80
FWIW, I did request the case files for Samuel Sherman's disappearance, just to see what the Omaha PD even have on it. I got a response from them Today. I may give the records department a call within the next few days....

Good stuff, MT. I'm sure the report will be barebones but it will be good to shine some light on Sherman's disappearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998