NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 June 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird coincidence. I decided to go back to pg 1 of this thread just to go over ideas and comments. On pg 6 it is noted that Kelly held a Project Jason retreat near Ashland NE, at Camp Joy Holling around 2009.That is where the UID skull was found in 2017.
I am probably trying to connect two things that aren’t related but I just found that interesting.

Also I just read they said the medical examiner says they are 95% certain the skull is female. Next article says male 19-30!!!! Which is it.
Back to square 1.

Last edited:
Not too crazy to think a creep in the neighborhood saw him coming and stopped to ask him for some kind of help. I would like to know why LE searched a neighbor's house in connection to Jason.

I keep coming back to someone on his route knowing his disposition and taking advantage of the situation to ask him to pop inside to "help" with something.

I still have the suspicion that it was someone on his very block. Close neighbors are more likely to know about his naive disposition and mental disabilities. They would also know that he didn't have a car and could even possibly know that his parents were gone and he wouldn't be noticed missing for awhile. I just find it odd that a neighbor further along the walk who may not know him at all would just randomly decide to go after him in that particular moment. As stated ad nauseam, Jason was a full grown man. Someone who didn't know anything about him beyond his physical stature would probably think twice before attempting anything.
Even the fact that this neighbor's house was searched leads me to believe that there were some sketchies on their block that they knew of. In fact, my research on the neighbors there at the time did yield one guy who lived on their block at the time, closer to the corner of Bedford (no name or address will be given) who definitely seems odd. He was living alone in the house at the time (divorced) and upon seeing some of his stuff on his Facebook , I definitely believe that he is not really "all there" . Now of course that does not mean that he is related to this at all.
One thing that is also confusing in various articles about this case is the conflicting reports on when Jason was last seen. I've read that he wasn't seen beyond his driveway, but in other pieces I've read that neighbors saw him start his walk towards Bedford. Either way, nobody places him off his actual block.

The Ashland skull is a possibility but that looks so far from Omaha. I don't see a body of water, creek, etc. connected from there to Omaha that could have carried the skull all that way. Unless it was put there by someone who did him harm. Hopefully they will publish rule outs so we know for sure someday.

Missouri River --> Platte River--->Salt Creek. Though I could be wrong because I don't know for sure how those rivers flow and the directions they go. Salt Creek also starts closer towards Lincoln, so it's entirely possible that the skull could be someone who was dumped there and not Omaha.

Long time lurker, first time poster. The city had fontenelle park, which is very close to his house, torn up last year for work. I was hoping something would turn up, but alas. I live just a few blocks away on the other side of fontenelle where the neighborhood starts getting rough. This case has always bugged me. I just can't help but think with lack of evidence, suspects and sightings, if the police had started investigating before 9 days if it would have a different outcome. Or, if it was just some sort of freak accident. I still wonder if his body is still somewhere within a few blocks of where he went missing.

Last edited:
Long time lurker, first time poster. The city had fontenelle park, which is very close to his house, torn up last year for work. I was hoping something would turn up, but alas. I live just a few blocks away on the other side of fontenelle where the neighborhood starts getting rough. This case has always bugged me. I just can't help but think with lack of evidence, suspects and sightings, if the police had started investigating before 9 days if it would have a different outcome. Or, if it was just some sort of freak accident. I still wonder if his body is still somewhere within a few blocks of where he went missing.

Welcome Kmiller! Did you live there at the time he disappeared? If someone did hurt Jason I'd bet that he's buried somewhere in their yard or crawlspace, ala Gacy style.

ETA: Definitely believe that LE dropped the ball on waiting 10 days before. However the only thing I personally feel that affected was the perp's potential alibi (if they were even questioned) and the memory of any witnesses. In terms of cleaning the crime scene, I'm sure the perp was all squared away from day 1- they wouldn't have known LE would wait that long and I'm sure they weren't taking any chances

Last edited:
Welcome Kmiller! Did you live there at the time he disappeared? If someone did hurt Jason I'd bet that he's buried somewhere in their yard or crawlspace, ala Gacy style.

No I lived in Northwest Omaha at that time, but I actually attended Holy Name, the Catholic school a few blocks away about two years prior to this happening. My parents were still regular attendees at the church and were friends with a lot of people in the holy name/fontenelle area though. If it wasn't some sort of accident that explains what happened to Jason, I honestly do think it was someone in his neighborhood and the body is still on someone's property or in a landfill. I see a more plausible scenario such as "oh I know you, your'e *advertiser censored*'s kid, will you help me move something?" Overall I do not think the people in the neighborhood are shady, but of course there's always going to be one person who is. I do agree that the wait affected eyewitnesses more than anything. I remember when Amber Harris, Jessica O'grady went missing here in Omaha a few years later, it was all over billboards, the news, etc, from day 1. I do not recall a similar circumstance for Jason, even after the police started investigating. Granted, some of that could have been due to me being a lot younger when Jason went missing and not paying attention to the local news.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, the more I'm honestly surprised that the whole 'agreeing to meet at the school' thing isn't looked at more. I don't know I just personally find that arrangement kind of strange. I know we are given the reasoning of Jason not being good at giving directions, but was the girl not good at directions either? The school was close enough to his house that it didn't seem hard for her to work her way there if he gave her the address. As I said in another post, I still feel like Jason may have wanted to walk a bit for whatever reason. OR on the flip side of that, maybe the girl arranged for them to meet at the school for whatever reason. Unless Jason's little brother was next to him when he took the phone call about the schedule change and heard everything, we really don't know if any of this was actually Jason's idea- we just have to accept that because that's what the Fazoli's workers have said. Just seems odd to still have to walk 8 blocks to catch a ride since the whole purpose of a ride is convenience. Not to mention that this decision completely changed the course of that day. The idea of a neighbor or someone else nabbing him just seems WAY too convenient for that day. My belief is that if Jason was the one that wanted to walk a little before getting picked up, then he was making a pit stop beforehand that may have proved to be lethal. Or Hell, maybe he even did run away, who knows? But if it was Fazoli's idea to meet at the high school (something that can't be proved) then I think an interception was planned already.

But if it was Fazoli's idea to meet at the high school (something that can't be proved) then I think an interception was planned already.

If Fazoli's was involved then they must have had one Hell of an alibi planned out ahead of time. If I was ever going to make someone disappear, I don't think I'd want to make it known that I was the last person they spoke to and was supposed to be meeting. That's just inviting yourself to be suspect numero uno.

I used to highly suspect Fazoli's as being involved, but I feel like they'd have way more to lose than anything they could have gained by harming him. But I guess you never know

If Fazoli's was involved then they must have had one Hell of an alibi planned out ahead of time. If I was ever going to make someone disappear, I don't think I'd want to make it known that I was the last person they spoke to and was supposed to be meeting. That's just inviting yourself to be suspect numero uno.

I used to highly suspect Fazoli's as being involved, but I feel like they'd have way more to lose than anything they could have gained by harming him. But I guess you never know
The Jolkowski’s had a private investigator all over the Fazoli’s workers but nothing came of it. There had been a man there known to hang around younger guys and from what I have read a hard look was taken at him but that was a dead end. At least from what we know publicly. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone from Fazoli’s or a neighbor is a suspect but LE is not disclosing it. Even after all of this time.

I wouldn’t be surprised if someone from Fazoli’s or a neighbor is a suspect but LE is not disclosing it. Even after all of this time.

I have that feeling as well. Only because from what I read (though unconfirmed), Jason's case is listed under "homicide" in the police files. I find it hard to believe they would just arbitrarily label the case as such without ANY sort of clue at all.

Although.. this was a tweet last year from Detective Dave Schneider of the Omaha PD who was looking to reopen Jason's case. He goes on to say that it's NOT a homicide. Just another instance in this case of conflicting reports.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 4.21.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 4.21.03 PM.png
    82.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 4.21.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 4.21.10 PM.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 33
I've said this before elsewhere, but I honestly get the feeling Jason's case was some kind of accident and perhaps he fell in something or got trapped in an odd place and the searches missed his remains. It would be interesting to see if there were any open manholes or major construction going on in the summer of 2001 around Jason's neighborhood.

And before someone says this is far fetched, we've seen cases just like this where someone is trapped in something and their body isn't found until years later, such as the case of Joshua Maddux from Colorado. He was missing for seven years before being found in a chimney less than a mile from his home. I don't think they are certain how or why he ended up there, but they believe drugs were a factor. Brian Barton went missing from Federal Way, Washington in 2005 and his remains were found in 2017 less than a mile from his home. His death was ruled a suicide.

I'm not saying for certain this is what happened to Jason, but I believe with the lack of clues here, the fact that he wasn't involved with drugs, had no enemies, and the seemingly "thin-air" nature of his disappearance, I would not rule out an accident of some kind.

I've said this before elsewhere, but I honestly get the feeling Jason's case was some kind of accident and perhaps he fell in something or got trapped in an odd place and the searches missed his remains. It would be interesting to see if there were any open manholes or major construction going on in the summer of 2001 around Jason's neighborhood.
User "Studebkr" who lived next door to the Jolkowskis at the time said that there was construction going on with the Omaha sewer systems and that the ground was supposedly all dug up. Maybe he can confirm what it actually looked like or how deep the holes went. I would like to think that if Jason had fallen through there then a worker would have eventually come across his body when they got back to work.
This construction has never been mentioned by Kelly before, so I don't know if it's ever even been a theory that police have looked into

ETA: I looked up the case of Brian Barton and the church where his body was found. That's really interesting how the very small amount of woodland can hide a body for 12 years. Omaha has plenty of areas that like so it really makes you wonder.

Where?

From Jason's house to the rendezvous at the school, please pinpoint where you think this might have occurred?

This was almost definitely foul play.

Unlike the Brian Shaffer case, or even possibly the Michael Negrete case as some speculate involved construction as well, this incident happened in the middle of the morning and not in the middle of the night. So, If there was all this open sewer construction going on at the time I would certainly think there would be workers working at that time, no? Not only would that be witnesses if he had some accident in the construction, but also witnesses that would just even remember seeing him at all. Yet another reason I think Jason didn't make it off his own block. @studebkr -- is it possible that you had the timeframe of the sewer project mixed up? I only ask because I've never read about that happening at the time of Jason's disappearance (or read about it at all actually) and you would certainly think that would have been a theory that would be considered.

And before someone says this is far fetched, we've seen cases just like this where someone is trapped in something and their body isn't found until years later, such as the case of Joshua Maddux from Colorado. He was missing for seven years before being found in a chimney less than a mile from his home. I don't think they are certain how or why he ended up there, but they believe drugs were a factor. Brian Barton went missing from Federal Way, Washington in 2005 and his remains were found in 2017 less than a mile from his home. His death was ruled a suicide.

I'm not saying for certain this is what happened to Jason, but I believe with the lack of clues here, the fact that he wasn't involved with drugs, had no enemies, and the seemingly "thin-air" nature of his disappearance, I would not rule out an accident of some kind.
it can't have been an accident since someone else who was of similar age same race and same gender WITH the same initials disappeared within months of each other in a very similar circumstance you can't tell me that's coincidence is clearly obvious foul play was met.

And I don’t mean the awesome neighbor who has posted here! He or she has been a source of good info.
That being said, would you believe I'm actually very surprised that the police never knocked on my door and talked to my son or I? We have talked about how slow the investigation started, but wouldn't you talk to all the neighbors? I did go down and talk to the Jolkowski's when I found out, but I found out a week after the fact or more.

Drove by the old place a couple Sunday's ago. They are working on the sewers again. My over landscaped yard has been cleared with a big privacy fence put in place of the popular trees I had.

That being said, would you believe I'm actually very surprised that the police never knocked on my door and talked to my son or I? We have talked about how slow the investigation started, but wouldn't you talk to all the neighbors? I did go down and talk to the Jolkowski's when I found out, but I found out a week after the fact or more.

Drove by the old place a couple Sunday's ago. They are working on the sewers again. My over landscaped yard has been cleared with a big privacy fence put in place of the popular trees I had.

Yes I am very surprised they didn't speak with you. I would think they would talk to everyone!
I am not sure why they wouldn't. Thanks for all of your input on this, it's nice to have someone who was there at the time commenting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member