NE NE - Jason Jolkowski, 19, Omaha, 13 Jun 2001 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: the skull

I thought law enforcement said early on that the skull was not connected to any open cases? That's assuming JJ falls into that bracket, and there's no reason he shouldn't.

I personally have never believed the idea that Jason was gay or questioning his sexuality. If he was, I think there would have been circumstantial evidence to that effect, either in terms of online presence or comments from people who knew him. I also think that if that if he had been gay, he would have gravitated toward meeting people his age and not older men. He had a car and a part-time job and had attended community college, so it's not like he was in a geographically-isolated area or constantly under his parents' surveillance. JMO, and it's fine with me if people here draw different conclusions. I know we all wish this case could be solved.

At the ame time, I also see why some of you think along the lines of the above theory. The question of motive in this case is especially puzzling, since there are no known clues that would suggest one. @ekardh has made the point in the past that Jason was a low-risk victim, and statistically, low-risk victims are typicaly harmed by someone known to them. I find that compelling, since crimes are usually relatively simple matters and not elaborate conspiracies that we see on programs like CSI or Criminal Minds. If in fact Jason was harmed or killed by someone who knew him, that person really did a good job of covering their tracks or was lucky about the 10-day investigative delay.

I also think that if that if he had been gay, he would have gravitated toward meeting people his age and not older men.
Not necessarily. It's fairly common in the gay community for younger guys to go for older types. It's the phenomenon of "daddy issues". Many young gays get rejected by their fathers so they seek out surrogate father figures as lovers. We obviously don't know the closeness of his and his father's relationship, so nothing can be concluded there anyhow. Also, older guys can feign more interest and "understanding" towards someone younger (for possible grooming), whereas a fellow young person would probably just want to be sexual. Not saying that this is what happened with Jason, but just saying there's no way to know what type he would have gone for and why.
Even if Jason wasn't gay at all, it still doesn't rule out the possibility of someone else expressing interest and turning potentially violent if he rejected them. Or just luring him and attemping a brazen sexual assault. The sexual motivated angle is popular because, as you said, it makes the most sense with a low risk victim. But I still stand by that whatever happened that day, whether Fazoli's planned something by changing his schedule, or he had a plan for himself that got changed, SOMETHING was premeditated. The car, the schedule change, the meeting at the school- I just don't think that was all an accident.

Last edited:
I haven’t heard that info. Namus just says UID male 18-30 or something to that affect. Is there an article that says that? Maybe they know who it is but don’t want it released publicly? I don’t know where to find out any more recent info on it.

This article says there have been some rule outs but doesn’t say who. They basically said they are taking steps to ID it in case it belongs to a missing person.
The only rule out I have seen is a woman, Anwesha Day. It was thought to be a female skull at first then they declared it was male. This article was from 2017 so you would think they would have found a match to Jason by now if it was him. But I can’t find anything one way or the other.

“Teeth were extracted from the skull and sent to the University of Nebraska Medical Center, where a laboratory collected DNA from the samples.

The results ruled out several cold cases on record in Nebraska, Durkan said.

On June 20, the skull was sent to the Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kan., where an anthropologist determined the age and race.

The data collected from testing so far has been entered into national databases to help identify the skull, Durkan said.

The DNA was entered into the Combined DNA Index System (CODIS), which is the FBI’s program of support for criminal justice DNA databases, as well as the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUS). The skull and dental information was sent to the National Crime Information Center (NCIC), a nationwide electronic clearinghouse of crime data.

Last week the skull was sent to the University of North Texas Center for Human Identification in Denton, Texas for mitochondrial DNA testing. The regional coordinator for NamUS also works at the University of North Texas, Durkan said.

The mitochondrial DNA testing will expand the number of “markers” that are entered into the databases, which will hopefully help with identification.

“The more information we get, I can pack it into NamUS and the NCIC,” Durkan said.

The investigator said they are unable to carbon date the skull because it is “too young.” The skull has no signs of trauma, which could rule out a homicide.

Durkan said it is possible the skull washed downstream from an unmarked cemetery or was dug up by animals.

No matter how the skull got into Salt Creek, the objective is to obtain its identity through DNA or dental records in case it belongs to a missing person.

‘We might get some closure to a family,” Durkan said.”

I have no issue w/Jason being gay whatsoever. I just don’t see it as the reason why he disappeared. And there doesn’t seem to be evidence that he was. Supposedly he liked a girl and she didn’t return the feelings.
I remember someone posting that there was conflict with his father and I would like to re-visit those details.

I have no issue w/Jason being gay whatsoever. I just don’t see it as the reason why he disappeared. And there doesn’t seem to be evidence that he was. Supposedly he liked a girl and she didn’t return the feelings.
I remember someone posting that there was conflict with his father and I would like to re-visit those details.
Was the conflict with his dad mentioned on Reddit? Because I know on here it was said that Jason's dad wanted him to go into the seminary. It's not known what his feelings were on that. I'm not expecting to hear back from Father Vella (Jason's priest). On the Montel Williams Show, his dad gave off the impression that they were a very close family. He mentioned that they would have a game where they'd try to make each other laugh and Jason would lose because he'd laugh first. No family is perfect behind closed doors obviously, but I'm not about to speculate on any of that unless it relates to Jason's disappearance. Probably not though, as that would be more of a runaway situation which just doesn't seem likely at all

Was the conflict with his dad mentioned on Reddit? Because I know on here it was said that Jason's dad wanted him to go into the seminary. It's not known what his feelings were on that. I'm not expecting to hear back from Father Vella (Jason's priest). On the Montel Williams Show, his dad gave off the impression that they were a very close family. He mentioned that they would have a game where they'd try to make each other laugh and Jason would lose because he'd laugh first. No family is perfect behind closed doors obviously, but I'm not about to speculate on any of that unless it relates to Jason's disappearance. Probably not though, as that would be more of a runaway situation which just doesn't seem likely at all
Thank you for clarifying, I did read about the conflict on here.
I guess if we don’t know Jason’s feelings on joining the seminary we can’t really speculate on that.
I feel like it’s always back to square one. An 8 block walk on a summer day. Then....?

As nobody has said much about Jason's romantic life (besides what happened with that girl) I don't see that Jason's romantic actions (or sexuality) had anything to do with his disappearance. I have suggested that someone – perhaps an older gay man supposedly living in closet – had made wrong conclusions about Jason's shyness, awkwardness and kindness. I assumed that it might have been someone associated with the church as nobody else came to my mind. It must have been someone who more or less knew Jason. How ever naive he was he hardly entered a car or house of someone completely strange person. Anyway, it seems to me that what happened was a sheer coincidence, a very unfortunate one. Jason just happened to be there.
The Fazoli's connection seems unlikely to me, because it would have required a lot of planing AND plenty of good luck as nobody saw or heard anything. The time frame was so narrow and that young co-worker, who was waiting at Benson High School – why to include her as an unpredictable factor to the plan?
Is that Montel Williams Show anywhere to be seen? I have seen just a short clip where Jason's parents were together, do you mean that, Matthew Tyler? Jason's mother talked about her son's plans on the radio and didn't seem to have any problem with it. She said that she was a bit surprised, that's all. We don't know, if there was any real conflict between Jason and his father about the seminary thing. Who told about that, was it someone who knew the family?

We don't know, if there was any real conflict between Jason and his father about the seminary thing. Who told about that, was it someone who knew the family?
@studebkr mentioned it, as he worked with Jason's uncle. But it was possibly hearsay. We don't know if there was conflict, just that it's what his dad supposedly wanted

@studebkr mentioned it, as he worked with Jason's uncle. But it was possibly hearsay. We don't know if there was conflict, just that it's what his dad supposedly wanted

It hardly has anything to do with Jason's disappearance. Absolutely nothing indicates that he wanted to vanish, leave his life and start again in somewhere else.
My scenario is this: it was not unusual for that unidentified male to be at that place at that time. But that day he unexpectedly recognized Jason walking there alone, which was unusual. He decided to do what he (perhaps) had wanted to do for some time: to make a move for more intimate relationship, perhaps just talking about it. As Jason hadn't expect anything like that he got scared, even horrified and things got out of control. This may have happened in that unidentified man's car, in his house or in the church (please, don't get irritated!), if he started the conversation in casual friendly manner and succeeded to lure Jason inside. I don't think, he had planned to kill Jason, it happened, because of Jason's fierce reaction and he was afraid that Jason will tell his parents about that incident. Therefore he would be in trouble. With no clues I can't think anything else.

As nobody has said much about Jason's romantic life (besides what happened with that girl) I don't see that Jason's romantic actions (or sexuality) had anything to do with his disappearance. I have suggested that someone – perhaps an older gay man supposedly living in closet – had made wrong conclusions about Jason's shyness, awkwardness and kindness. I assumed that it might have been someone associated with the church as nobody else came to my mind. It must have been someone who more or less knew Jason. How ever naive he was he hardly entered a car or house of someone completely strange person. Anyway, it seems to me that what happened was a sheer coincidence, a very unfortunate one. Jason just happened to be there.
The Fazoli's connection seems unlikely to me, because it would have required a lot of planing AND plenty of good luck as nobody saw or heard anything. The time frame was so narrow and that young co-worker, who was waiting at Benson High School – why to include her as an unpredictable factor to the plan?
Is that Montel Williams Show anywhere to be seen? I have seen just a short clip where Jason's parents were together, do you mean that, Matthew Tyler? Jason's mother talked about her son's plans on the radio and didn't seem to have any problem with it. She said that she was a bit surprised, that's all. We don't know, if there was any real conflict between Jason and his father about the seminary thing. Who told about that, was it someone who knew the family?
The Montel Williams segment is on YouTube, it’s 5 or 6 minutes long, it looks like it was part of an episode about missing people.

I agree, if this was a crime it was a crime of opportunity. I don’t see any planning on Jason’s part.
I don’t really entertain the idea of him detouring to cancel a planned rendezvous after being called in to work. It seems a little out there.

I can see him being flagged down by someone on his route or a car pulling up to him. Whether that person was someone he knew, who knows.

The Montel Williams segment is on YouTube, it’s 5 or 6 minutes long, it looks like it was part of an episode about missing people.

I agree, if this was a crime it was a crime of opportunity. I don’t see any planning on Jason’s part.
I don’t really entertain the idea of him detouring to cancel a planned rendezvous after being called in to work. It seems a little out there.

I can see him being flagged down by someone on his route or a car pulling up to him. Whether that person was someone he knew, who knows.

Okay, thanks. Then I have seen it. Jason's parents were there together. I thought, his father was interviewed in a show, which I hadn't seen.

I agree with this. I don't think all the speculation about his sexuality is warranted. I don't think he was accosted on the street or park if he went that route, unless he fell victim to a deranged murderer who managed to tackle and make him disappear somehow. If it was a robbery, I think he would've been left behind and if it was seeing something like a drug deal, I don't think he would've been dealt with either.

Apparently, it was a sketchy area. I think it was all bad luck, that a car with a SO pulled up to him and offered him a ride and took off with him inside. Or a neighbouring SO sidetracked him somehow. Wonder what his parents think happened though.

I agree with this. I don't think all the speculation about his sexuality is warranted. I don't think he was accosted on the street or park if he went that route, unless he fell victim to a deranged murderer who managed to tackle and make him disappear somehow. If it was a robbery, I think he would've been left behind and if it was seeing something like a drug deal, I don't think he would've been dealt with either.

Apparently, it was a sketchy area. I think it was all bad luck, that a car with a SO pulled up to him and offered him a ride and took off with him inside. Or a neighbouring SO sidetracked him somehow. Wonder what his parents think happened though.
I think it was a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. His parents haven’t said too much on what they think may have happened. I think they really have no idea. They said even LE doesn’t know anything else but LE can have a suspect for years and not even tell the family.

It would be a freak occurrence for Jason to be targeted by a random SO as he walked down at the street at 10am in the morning. Jason’s low-risk status makes this scenario quite unlikely IMO. It would be incredibly rotten luck and take an especially bold and resourceful predator to abduct a 6’ male in broad daylight.

No, I think there’s more to it than this. We have to look at the variables that day. Jason wasn’t working originally, then he was. If he had made plans he needed to change them. For whatever reason he can’t use his phone to contact the person he was going to meet, so he asks to be picked up at the school. That way he can make a brief detour on the way there. What happened after that is anyone’s guess.

It would be a freak occurrence for Jason to be targeted by a random SO as he walked down at the street at 10am in the morning. Jason’s low-risk status makes this scenario quite unlikely IMO. It would be incredibly rotten luck and take an especially bold and resourceful predator to abduct a 6’ male in broad daylight.

No, I think there’s more to it than this. We have to look at the variables that day. Jason wasn’t working originally, then he was. If he had made plans he needed to change them. For whatever reason he can’t use his phone to contact the person he was going to meet, so he asks to be picked up at the school. That way he can make a brief detour on the way there. What happened after that is anyone’s guess.
Ok That seems like a possibility when you lay it out that way.

As we see from Caleb Diehl's case a 18–19 years old male is unfortunately not safe from molesters. Caleb's car was also in repair shop, when he went missing. In his case there is a suspect, though: an older male who has a history of sexually abusing boys. He seems to be in jail now, but not for Caleb as Caleb has not been found. The man was a family friend of Diehl's. His past was revealed only later. There were that sort of persons living in Jason's neighborhood, and they apparently were all questioned. Nothing suspicious was found.

As we see from Caleb Diehl's case a 18–19 years old male is unfortunately not safe from molesters. Caleb's car was also in repair shop, when he went missing. In his case there is a suspect, though: an older male who has a history of sexually abusing boys. He seems to be in jail now, but not for Caleb as Caleb has not been found. The man was a family friend of Diehl's. His past was revealed only later. There were that sort of persons living in Jason's neighborhood, and they apparently were all questioned. Nothing suspicious was found.
Interesting case. But also shows that he was molested/killed by someone he knew, which would likely be the case for Jason as well. I don't think people would have a problem thinking that Jason would have been killed by a SO, just that it wouldn't be a random one that was a total stranger. Aside from his age and build, the timeframe and time of day in general plays a huge part in doubting a stranger attacking him. If it was 10 pm then I'd be more open to the idea that anyone just pulled up in a van and threw him in. Or that he maybe stumbled across something he wasn't supposed to see (drug deal?) and got killed for it. But these things happening in broad daylight? Seems so unlikely.

Yeah, like @MatthewTyler said, you've kind of made my point for me. In this case, the suspect was known to the victim. He was not a random stranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member