NE - John Lotter & Tom Nissen in the '93 murders of Brandon Teena, 2 others

http://www.courttv.com/news/2007/0920/boys_dont_cry_ap.html

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — One of two men convicted in the 1993 murder of Teena Brandon and two others that spawned the movie "Boys Don't Cry" now says he was the only attacker who shot and stabbed them.

This is an incredibly amazing turn of events. Lotter is seeking exoneration. He has been on death row. Can you imagine being convicted of something you didn't do and being put on death row for it? I am in no way saying Lotter is an angel, but he did not have the involvement Nissen originally claimed he did.

He was there. He was an accomplice. When it comes to punishment, as we've discussed before, it doesn't matter whether you pulled the trigger or you paid someone to do it. If the person is only dead because of your participation, you are just as guilty as the person who pulled the trigger. Moreover, all they have is the word of one other person who is just as guilty, if not more so, than this guy, so basically his words aren't worth the paper they're written on. How Lotter can seek to be exonerated is the joke of the day.

He was there. He was an accomplice. When it comes to punishment, as we've discussed before, it doesn't matter whether you pulled the trigger or you paid someone to do it. If the person is only dead because of your participation, you are just as guilty as the person who pulled the trigger. Moreover, all they have is the word of one other person who is just as guilty, if not more so, than this guy, so basically his words aren't worth the paper they're written on. How Lotter can seek to be exonerated is the joke of the day.

In the beginning of this Nissen said the only reason he was doing all the shooting was because Lotter's gun jammed. So, he is just as guilty IMO, he went there w/intent and knowing people were going to be murdered.

He should still fry. He did NOTHING to stop the murders.

I hate that Nissen didn't get the DP because he testified against Lotter...now, he is trying to save his buddy from the DP is how I see it. Then they can be LWOP, both of them.

Scumbags.

Didn't they BOTH rape Teena??????

In the beginning of this Nissen said the only reason he was doing all the shooting was because Lotter's gun jammed. So, he is just as guilty IMO, he went there w/intent and knowing people were going to be murdered.

He should still fry. He did NOTHING to stop the murders.

I hate that Nissen didn't get the DP because he testified against Lotter...now, he is trying to save his buddy from the DP is how I see it. Then they can be LWOP, both of them.

Scumbags.

Didn't they BOTH rape Teena??????

I agree 100%. Yes, they both did rape Brandon.

Oh man I have the movie about this. I havent heard about it in the news for yeaaaaars now. Sad story and I think they all should get the DP if it were up to me! :mad:

Wow I can't believe this. Marvin Nissen confessing..and he wasn't even sentenced to death like John Lotter was.

LINCOLN, Neb. - One of two men convicted in the 1993 murder of Teena Brandon and two others that spawned the movie "Boys Don't Cry" now says he was the only attacker who shot and stabbed them.
Marvin Nissen's new account that he was the lone killer could reignite a case that drew national attention to the issues of transgendered people.
The man Nissen once blamed for the killings, John Lotter, is now on death row and has asked for a new trial.
Brandon was born a female but for a time lived as a man in rural southeast Nebraska. Prosecutors said the 21-year-old was killed in a farmhouse near Humboldt after reporting being raped by Lotter and Nissen. During the trial, Nissen said he had stabbed Brandon but that Lotter fired all the shots that killed Brandon and the others. more at link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20891239/

Wow, strange. I remember seeing this movie and being affected by it.

Why is he confessing now? Guilty conscience? Nissen isn't claiming he didn't rape Brandon, so he should still be in prison, IMO.

I think it's weird how the same person stabbed and shot Brandon. Usually two different weapons means two different people used them. I wonder what DNA evidence they have that might prove Nissen's claim.

I feel so sorry for Joann Brandon. It's sad that she has to relive this again.

Why is he confessing now? Guilty conscience? Nissen isn't claiming he didn't rape Brandon, so he should still be in prison, IMO.

I think it's weird how the same person stabbed and shot Brandon. Usually two different weapons means two different people used them. I wonder what DNA evidence they have that might prove Nissen's claim.

I feel so sorry for Joann Brandon. It's sad that she has to relive this again.

He is in prison; he's serving a life sentence. Even though John Lotter didn't pull the trigger, I believe he was the master mind behind the slayings committed to cover up the rape(s) of Teena Brandon and is right where he belongs.

I am from Nebraska and recall how shocking and brutal the murders were. Lisa Lambert (one of the victims) was a single mom who had "taken in" Teena and Philip (the other victim) overnight. The killers left her baby alone in his crib...gosh, that little boy has to be almost 18 now. :( I wonder what his life has been like, without his loving mom.

I remember this movie, one of the few that have made me cry..Hillary Swank was awesome in it. But anyway..this guy just now coming out with this is just too little too late.

I remember this movie, one of the few that have made me cry..Hillary Swank was awesome in it. But anyway..this guy just now coming out with this is just too little too late.
I agree, Ms Pooh. He has been giving interviews since shortly after his arrest; he clearly enjoys being in the "limelight" and I think this is just another bid for attention.

What if Nissen IS telling the truth now? It's been said Lotter has the mentality of a 10 year-old & there's no way he alone could have been the mastermind behind the whole murders. Nissen has said in past interviews that the truth will come out someday. Who knows about him? If Lotter didn't actually kill someone, he DOESN'T deserve to be on death row...he SHOULD be in prison for life, however, for being there..as he clearly was. Maybe now they will look into the DNA like he wanted them too a few years back. :confused:

What if Nissen IS telling the truth now? It's been said Lotter has the mentality of a 10 year-old & there's no way he alone could have been the mastermind behind the whole murders. Nissen has said in past interviews that the truth will come out someday. Who knows about him? If Lotter didn't actually kill someone, he DOESN'T deserve to be on death row...he SHOULD be in prison for life, however, for being there..as he clearly was. Maybe now they will look into the DNA like he wanted them too a few years back. :confused:

What IF Nissen told the truth before when it actually had a chance to do some good? Do you realize how backed up our courts are? Do you realize that at some point in time EVERY person in prison or on death row makes some sort of change to his story? I say big deal. Even IF he didn't actually kill anyone, that's a mere technicality.

What IF Nissen told the truth before when it actually had a chance to do some good? Do you realize how backed up our courts are? Do you realize that at some point in time EVERY person in prison or on death row makes some sort of change to his story? I say big deal. Even IF he didn't actually kill anyone, that's a mere technicality.

Sorry I spoke!

Panel rejects Nebraska death row inmate's appeal

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Nebraska death-row inmate John Lotter's attempt to appeal his conviction in the triple murder that inspired the 1999 film "Boys Don't Cry" has been rejected by a federal appeals court.

Lotter and co-defendant Thomas Nissen were convicted in the 1993 slayings of Teena Brandon, a 21-year-old who lived briefly as a man and dated a female friend of both suspects, and two friends who witnessed the killing in a rural farmhouse.

Lotter claims, among other things, that investigators threated Nissen with torture to coerce him into saying Lotter fired the fatal gunshots. Nissen has since recanted.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Panel-rejects-Nebraska-death-row-inmate-s-appeal-2139278.php

Previous appeal link

STATE v. LOTTER
September 04, 2009
The evidence at trial was that Thomas M. Nissen, also known as Marvin T. Nissen, and Lotter planned the murders together, but Nissen testified that it was Lotter who actually killed the victims.   Fourteen years after the crimes were committed, Nissen signed an affidavit stating that he committed perjury at Lotter's trial and that he, not Lotter, actually killed the victims.   Lotter appeals from the district court's order denying his second pro se motion for postconviction relief.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ne-supreme-court/1232378.html

Murder convict challenges Nebraska's death penalty process
The man convicted of murdering a transgender victim that inspired the Hollywood movie “Boys Don’t Cry” has joined another death row inmate to challenge Nebraska’s three-judge method, which decides death penalty sentences.

A three-judge panel in 1996 sentenced John Lotter, now 45, to death for the 1993 murder of 21-year-old Teena Brandon and two others at a Nebraska farm.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...raska-death-penalty-process-article-1.2947100

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Postalgirl74
Back