GUILTY NE - Kerra Wilson, 8, Mitchell, 21 Sep 2011

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111018/NEWS97/710189891/1004

Stepdad's murder trial set

Prosecutor Joe Stecher, a Sioux County deputy attorney and a former U.S. Attorney for the District of Nebraska, filed an additional aggravated circumstances in the case, the necessary filing for the state to seek the death penalty in the case.

In order to seek the death penalty, the state must indicate, and later prove, that at least one aggravated circumstance exists in the case. The complaint identified Lopez's attempt to conceal the crime or the perpetrator as the circumstance. Though the state is required by law to state its intentions to seek the death penalty from the beginning of a case, it could later determine not to seek the death penalty.

They're seeking the death penalty...

Thinking about beautiful little Kerra today. So very sad that her life was ended by . I hope they throw the book at him, then literally throw the book at him!

Offender Name: SALVADOR CARL LOPEZ
Offender ID: 66636
Date of Birth: 06/06/1979
Race: White

Custody Status: In Custody
Location of Offender: Scotts Bluff County Sheriff's Office Gering

Not a single news update on this story? It was odd, after they announced Kerra had been found and Salvador was arrested, it went very quiet. Is that because he confessed?

A pre-trial conference in the case has been scheduled for Feb. 2. Lopez remains jailed, but will be transferred to the Scotts Bluff County Detention Center.

This is the next court action.

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/164124...f-killing-stepdaughter-changes-plea-to-guilty

A 32 year old man alluded the death penalty in a plea deal for killing his stepdaughter. Salvador Carlos Lopez, of Mitchell, Nebraska confessed to killing 8 year old, Kerra Wilson. Although he won't face the death penalty, investigators still feel comfortable with him likely spending the rest of his life in prison without parole.
They don't have to go through a trial that would've been extremely emotional. They aren't going to have to hear the details of what occurred on Sept 21," said Lt. Bartling.
My personal opinion is that LWOP is worse than death... I'm glad he at least is taking a plea deal and not dragging the case on, hurting the family even more.
The article goes on to say, IT killed Kerra because she threatened to tell her mother he was touching her in an inappropriate way.
Sigh... Poor baby

http://www.nebraska.tv/story/164124...f-killing-stepdaughter-changes-plea-to-guilty

A 32 year old man alluded the death penalty in a plea deal for killing his stepdaughter. Salvador Carlos Lopez, of Mitchell, Nebraska confessed to killing 8 year old, Kerra Wilson. Although he won't face the death penalty, investigators still feel comfortable with him likely spending the rest of his life in prison without parole.
They don't have to go through a trial that would've been extremely emotional. They aren't going to have to hear the details of what occurred on Sept 21," said Lt. Bartling.
My personal opinion is that LWOP is worse than death... I'm glad he at least is taking a plea deal and not dragging the case on, hurting the family even more.
The article goes on to say, IT killed Kerra because she threatened to tell her mother he was touching her in an inappropriate way.
Sigh... Poor baby

Thanks for the article, I was just thinking about Kerra the other day. Such a sweet-faced little girl. I'm glad he will be in prison for life, I hope the rest of his days are miserable. :(

O/T I swear, who does the proofreading for a lot of these news stories I read lately? He "alluded" the death penalty? Um, no. Eluded. Geesh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back