NE - Omaha Police kill mentally ill Native man, Zachary Bearheels, June 2017

Grand jury reveals conclusions in death of Zachary Bearheels
http://www.ketv.com/article/grand-jury-reveals-conclusions-in-death-of-zachary-bearheels/14276934

OMAHA, Neb. —
A Douglas County grand jury concluded that there is probable cause to bring criminal charges against former Omaha Police officers Scotty Payne and Ryan McClarty.

According to court documents, grand jurors also thought that Zachary Bearheels died due to excited delirium, a physical struggle, and the use of a stun gun.

There is probable cause to believe that McClarty committed third-degree assault, that Payne committed second-degree assault and use of a weapon to commit a felony in relation to the incident, the grand jury noted.

Former Omaha police officer waives right to speedy trial in connection with death of Zachary Bearheels

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/former-omaha-police-officer-waives-right-to-speedy-trial-in/article_30e66dd2-efd9-11e7-b949-271adc827a76.html

Also:

Ex-OPD officer appears in court

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/Ex-OPD-officer-appears-in-court-467703293.html

Bearheels supporters said this time their voices will be heard and they do not believe the official cause of death in the Bearheels case.

“A lot of times we are not heard we have small numbers so many times the politicians do not care to ask for our votes,” John Pappan said. “So why they keep on using this excited delirium is beyond me cause it’s bunch of gobbledygook as far as I’m concerned. We all know that the real reason how he died - was through a repeated beating and tasering and electrocution to death through tasering.

McClartyPayne.jpg

Ryan McClarty,(man in left photo) is charged with third-degree assault, a misdemeanor. Authorities say McClarty punched Zachary Bearheels 13 times.
Trial begins Jan 14.

Scotty Payne, (man in right photo) is charged with second-degree assault and a weapons use charge. Both are felonies. Authorities say Payne shocked Zachary Bearheels a dozen times with a taser. His trial begins Nov. 26.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/former-police-officer-accused-of-punching-man-who-died-will/article_707bb58f-962c-5892-8d9a-eeb762592782.html

The article this is linked to doesn't really contain any new developments. I just wanted to make a post with photos of the former officers and who is charged with what in the killing, along with trial dates. My version of Cliff notes, I guess you could say.

Cruiser camera video showing final minutes of Zachary BearHeels' life brings juror to tears

Jurors watched as Payne — trying to coax BearHeels into the back seat of his cruiser — asked him if he wanted “to get (expletive) tased.” They watched him pull the trigger on the Taser as BearHeels was handcuffed behind his back and his rear end was planted on the parking lot of the gas station he refused to leave.

They saw Payne’s fellow officer, Ryan McClarty, and others dragging BearHeels — at times by his ponytail — back to the cruiser he had barged out of just moments before.

They dragged this man by his ponytail.

juror No. 20 — her original number from the pool of 48 prospective jurors — leaned into the older juror sitting next to her and bawled. He gently put his arm around her and comforted her as she buried her head in his chest.

I still have no understanding as to why this officer is charged with 2nd degree assault instead of murder.

Mayor offers apology after jury clears officer in Lakota man's death

Mayor offers apology after jury clears officer in Lakota man's death

OMAHA, Nebraska – Mayor Jean Stothert apologized Tuesday to a relative of a mentally ill Rosebud Lakota man who died last year after being shocked 12 times and struck 13 times by two police officers here.

At a meeting of a mayoral Native advisory committee in city hall, Stothert said she was disappointed in how Omaha police treated Zachary Bear Heels on the morning of June 5, 2017, and about an Omaha jury’s decision on December 10 to acquit one of the officers accused of assaulting the mentally ill man.

“I would say I’m sorry this happened,” Stothert said.

Following his acquittal, Payne told the media that he plans to seek to get his job back through an arbitrator. If the arbitrator agrees with him, Police Chief Schmaderer would be forced to rehire Payne.

Schmaderer said he doesn’t plan to rehire Payne unless he’s forced to do so.

“I’m still maintaining my position that they shouldn’t be Omaha police officers,” he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back