NE NE - Ryan Larsen, 11, with autism, La Vista, 17 May 2021

My heart breaks over & over for Ryan & his family. I have a son with Autism in the same school district & can't even begin to imagine what his Mom must be going through. I feel like there were so many lost opportunities to get Ryan back fairly quickly in the very beginning, am I alone with that train of thought? So the school says they noticed after 5 minutes that he was missing & called the police but there's no mention of anyone from the school going outside to look for him, why not?? I mean that's just common sense - if you've misplaced a child that's in your care you go and look for them. Also, it sounds like Ryan headed home after leaving school but there's no mention of the police driving over to his apartment to see if he was there...again why not?? If he left his school at 12:00 and wasn't spotted on the surveillance camera at CVS until 1:30 or 2:00 - where were the police during that time? I know they didn't send out an Amber Alert because they didn't believe Ryan was kidnapped however it's been 2 full weeks now and who knows what really happened to him. I can't help but think that if an Amber Alert had been sent out what might have happened differently. Possibly that law needs to be amended or maybe there needs to be a "Ryan Alert" or a "Ryan's Law" created?? I'm really not trying to point fingers here & I know that it seems that way, I just can't get over the fact of how this entire ordeal has been mishandled & also can't help but feel this is because of Ryan's Autism & his history of wandering. If nothing else, there needs to be a lot of extreme changes brought about within this school district as well as the police department in Ryan's name so that no one ever forgets this sweet angel.
Great first post! Welcome to websleuths, it’s under sad circumstances but glad you’re here and hope to see your thoughtful posts on other threads!
I agree that so much more should have been done, it’s hard to say without more facts who exactly dropped the ball, but I agree with you, a critically missing child should get an urgent alert, kidnapped or not.
Seems too quiet all the way around, I so so hope they are able to find him and that he is just scared and hiding out somewhere :(

I totally agree with the ball being dropped. My main concern is he was a known wanderer. He used to wear a monitor for that but kept removing it. There should have been better precautions taken within the school knowing his history. Eyes should have been on him better. This could have been prevented but now all we can do is use this to develop better protocols to ensure it doesn't happen again.

It's been 2-3 days since I've heard anything about the case and I live in LaVista. What the hell happened here? I can't imagine the tremendous turmoil his loved ones are experiencing right now. I truly hope they find him alive and well but if he's not getting help from someone...I hope LE is exploring all angles and possibilities because it seems sometimes they get stuck on something and don't look any further. He still hasn't been found and we need to keep at it until he is found. Moo

It's been 2-3 days since I've heard anything about the case and I live in LaVista. What the hell happened here?

(snipped)

I completely agree. I haven't heard or seen anything in days.

Also weird is that he left school around noon, was seen on camera at La Vista Keno at 1:30, and one of his neighbors saw him "taking out the trash" at 2:00. Were there no police in the area at that time? Sounds like he was right out there in the open at his apartment 2 hours after he left school.

If he was hiding from the police, he wouldn't have crossed 84th or Harrison (or Giles or 72nd if he went that those directions) with the police around. Any pedestrian crossing those streets would be noticeable since it's not a super walkable area. He would have had to have waited until dark, but there were so many people out that first night. How did no one spot him?

My heart breaks over & over for Ryan & his family. I have a son with Autism in the same school district & can't even begin to imagine what his Mom must be going through. I feel like there were so many lost opportunities to get Ryan back fairly quickly in the very beginning, am I alone with that train of thought? So the school says they noticed after 5 minutes that he was missing & called the police but there's no mention of anyone from the school going outside to look for him, why not?? I mean that's just common sense - if you've misplaced a child that's in your care you go and look for them. Also, it sounds like Ryan headed home after leaving school but there's no mention of the police driving over to his apartment to see if he was there...again why not?? If he left his school at 12:00 and wasn't spotted on the surveillance camera at CVS until 1:30 or 2:00 - where were the police during that time? I know they didn't send out an Amber Alert because they didn't believe Ryan was kidnapped however it's been 2 full weeks now and who knows what really happened to him. I can't help but think that if an Amber Alert had been sent out what might have happened differently. Possibly that law needs to be amended or maybe there needs to be a "Ryan Alert" or a "Ryan's Law" created?? I'm really not trying to point fingers here & I know that it seems that way, I just can't get over the fact of how this entire ordeal has been mishandled & also can't help but feel this is because of Ryan's Autism & his history of wandering. If nothing else, there needs to be a lot of extreme changes brought about within this school district as well as the police department in Ryan's name so that no one ever forgets this sweet angel.
I cannot speak to Ryan's district, but my ex-wife works in a nearby district as a Paraprofessional, and if this had happened there, I would not have been surprised - apathy is probably the best word I can use. It's all about budget - that is the "go to excuse" when teachers bring up the need for more help in the classrooms. More time is spent dealing with violent and disrespectful kids that those kids who behave or are on the spectrum are left by the wayside - and this is kindergarten. Paying an administrator a six figure salary with a $1500/mo. car allowance meanwhile berating a $11/hr Para for spending an extra 15 minutes on the clock on an occasional day is illogical - the Para cannot just check out at the same time each and every day. There are kids that need to go to the nurse, the office, are on the playground with an already reduced number of staff present, etc. To be expected to just walk away at a preset time during chaos is negligent in my mind. But that was the direction given - clock out on time or else! It is horrible that something like this needs to happen for changes to be made. It will be interesting to see what reasoning is offered up by the district regarding how he could just leave without being noticed.

Yep, I take back what I said about not having seen anything. They're everywhere today. I saw police cars from Bellevue, Council Bluffs, Sarpy County sheriff... k9s... a bunch of unmarked cars with people in FBI shirts. Looks like they're going door-to-door in one neighborhood. It looks like they're focused on 2 specific areas (I'm not sure if I should say where since they didn't, but if you read where they DID say in that article and look on Google satellite, it's right where you'd think). LOTS of them are out looking today.

I'm glad they are out thick finally. They stopped pretty much right before us. I don't know what type of info they have or if they even have a clue. I too agree the timeline seems off or like it wasn't handled quickly enough. But I've been saying from the beginning, I think they should be looking closer to home. And I'm not saying his family did something but I really think if this turns out to not be a kidnapping, whatever happened, I think he is close to home. My so's son has autism. He likes to hide out in his "safe places" although his aren't hard to find (like under the bed)
But I wouldn't doubt that Ryan has some
Secret spots close to home. I'm wondering if this isn't going to be another case similar to Harley Dilly. I pray it won't be but that the feeling I'm getting at the moment. Prayers for a better outcome.

I cannot speak to Ryan's district, but my ex-wife works in a nearby district as a Paraprofessional, and if this had happened there, I would not have been surprised - apathy is probably the best word I can use. It's all about budget - that is the "go to excuse" when teachers bring up the need for more help in the classrooms. More time is spent dealing with violent and disrespectful kids that those kids who behave or are on the spectrum are left by the wayside - and this is kindergarten. Paying an administrator a six figure salary with a $1500/mo. car allowance meanwhile berating a $11/hr Para for spending an extra 15 minutes on the clock on an occasional day is illogical - the Para cannot just check out at the same time each and every day. There are kids that need to go to the nurse, the office, are on the playground with an already reduced number of staff present, etc. To be expected to just walk away at a preset time during chaos is negligent in my mind. But that was the direction given - clock out on time or else! It is horrible that something like this needs to happen for changes to be made. It will be interesting to see what reasoning is offered up by the district regarding how he could just leave without being noticed.
Preach it. That is such an accurate description of what is going on today.

Although foul play is not suspected, it should not be discounted either. Six days ago, another 11-year-old boy out of Montezuma, Iowa, Xavior Harrelson, went missing. Montezuma is a three-hour drive straight down I-80. There is, although I hope not, the distinct possibility of a mobile child predator.

I wonder why we’re not hearing anything new. I guess there must be few leads. ☹️

I was just wondering that tonight. It's like they swept it under the rug since they can't find him. It's incredibly sad and feel like they gave up.
Let's hope they release an update soon and remind everyone we haven't forgotten or given up on the search for Ryan.

No Ryan coverage on any of the websites this morning...but all mention the missing boy in Iowa....an important case, no doubt....but radio silence?

IMO, they're pretty certain it was basically an accident, they're pretty certain it's a recovery effort at this point, and they're out of ideas about where to go next.

I really think this one is going to end up the same way as that little girl who disappeared on the Platte River last year :(

IMO, they're pretty certain it was basically an accident, they're pretty certain it's a recovery effort at this point, and they're out of ideas about where to go next.

I really think this one is going to end up the same way as that little girl who disappeared on the Platte River last year :(
So sad...just a baby....

FBI analyzing video in autistic boy's disappearance - KTVZ

Investigators have announced FBI experts in Omaha and in Quantico, Virginia, are analyzing surveillance video and working to enhance it. The videos have not been made public.

“These are not available for public release, and we are not providing additional comment on the nature of those videos; these are part of our investigation,” the release states.

FBI analyzing video in autistic boy's disappearance - KTVZ

Investigators have announced FBI experts in Omaha and in Quantico, Virginia, are analyzing surveillance video and working to enhance it. The videos have not been made public.

“These are not available for public release, and we are not providing additional comment on the nature of those videos; these are part of our investigation,” the release states.

So foreboding....

But I hope they achieve clarity which leads to Ryan....

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back