GUILTY NE - Sydney Loofe, 24, brutally murdered, Lincoln, 15 Nov 2017 #4 *Boswell appeal 2023*

I would be very surprised if state would agree to take the death penalty off the table for BB. That's JMO, but people in Nebraska (I see you have Husker in your user name :)) , but do you remember when voters voted the death penalty back in a few years ago, after the legislature abolished it? A large margin of voters wanted it, and the Governor supports the the death penalty. From AT's trial, it appears the state has enough evidence on BB to get a guilty verdict, with the death penalty on the table. JMO

JMO

Oh, I don’t think they will take it off the table, I’m just saying that’s the only way it will happen. What else do they have to negotiate with?

Yup, I’m a husker lol. I’m actually from Wilber. And I do remember when they were canvassing to get the DP back on the ballot, I actually chased one of them down to sign it.

I feel a great deal of sadness for the Loofe family. Nothing that happens will ever bring their girl back, and I can’t imagine what they have been going through. Relief that justice was served, but that relief will never outweigh their sadness.

Oh, I don’t think they will take it off the table, I’m just saying that’s the only way it will happen. What else do they have to negotiate with?

Yup, I’m a husker lol. I’m actually from Wilber. And I do remember when they were canvassing to get the DP back on the ballot, I actually chased one of them down to sign it.

I feel a great deal of sadness for the Loofe family. Nothing that happens will ever bring their girl back, and I can’t imagine what they have been going through. Relief that justice was served, but that relief will never outweigh their sadness.

This is really close to home for you. Things like this just don't happen in Wilber, NE!

I'm relieved with the verdict, but I did feel strongly the jury would see through his lies. But we never know for sure until the verdict is read.

My heart just breaks for Sydney's family. I think this verdict likely provides them with a sense of relief, but you are right. There isn't anything that will bring Sydney back and this is something they will never recover from.

Jenna Liston FOX42 on Twitter
Still out at the courthouse waiting to go live at 9 PM on @FOX42KPTM

I’m giving you the rundown on what we heard today in the courtroom before the verdict was announced.

Stay tuned!

[in a reply tweet fox 42 confirms they will be posting video soon of when the verdict was read and in it we will get to see reactions of the court and AT when verdict was read]

Attachments

• 8F133482-8491-416E-9380-8DC59707BB55.png
    8F133482-8491-416E-9380-8DC59707BB55.png
    344.3 KB · Views: 18
Jenna Liston FOX42 on Twitter
Still out at the courthouse waiting to go live at 9 PM on @FOX42KPTM

I’m giving you the rundown on what we heard today in the courtroom before the verdict was announced.

Stay tuned!

[in a reply tweet fox 42 confirms they will be posting video soon of when the verdict was read and in it we will get to see reactions of the court and AT when verdict was read]

Another former Wilber-ite, who later moved to Crete and now out of state with family still in Saline (as a side note, locally pronounced SUGH-leen). I would argue that good people are not just limited to rural Nebraska - they are in big cities, medium sized cities and rural areas across the world. No one wants an animal like Aubrey Trail to potentially be roaming free in their community again. I think the difference is the shocking nature of the crimes and how evil was lurking under everyone’s noses. My grandma used to joke about how nosy neighbors are in Wilber and how everyone knows everyone elses’s business, but that has changed in recent years; 30 years ago AT and BB would have been noticed and the whole town would have been up in their business.

When the verdict was read I cried. Sydney’s family - what they have endured is unimaginable, and the verdict is a cold comfort. From what I understand they have a strong support system to lean on and hopefully this will help them move forward. I can’t imagine they will ever fully heal.

I also feel terrible for the Landlords - from my interactions with Mr. Koll he comes off as a kind man, and to know he had monsters under his roof must weigh heavily. I’m not sure I could continue to live in that home, but perhaps him and his wife have found ways to cope.

Also a huge kudos to LE - I have family members with Lincoln PD and they have given impressive statements on the dedication the investigative team. It’s clear they did a very thorough job and in the end achieved their goal of getting justice for Sydney.

In all it’s satisfying to see justice served and whether AT gets life w/o parole or the DP he will be locked away forever, never to con, rob, or murder anyone again. I’m generally anti-DP and I think the worse fate for AT would be to confine him to solitary for the rest of his life with only a wall to talk to.

It will be interesting to see what happens to BB. To my knowledge, Nebraska has never sentenced a woman to the DP. Perhaps the closest case would be Caril Ann Fugate, who got life (but was later paroled). At any rate I think she will be spending most of not all of her life behind bars. It’s a mind-blowing downward spiral; she utterly wasted her life by jumping into the abyss. I hope her daughter will have support as she grows up to cope with the ramifications her mother’s
actions.

Thursday, July 11th:
*Penalty Phase of Trial begins (Day 1)-GUILTY VERDICT! (@ 9am CT) - NE - Sydney Loofe (24) (Nov. 15, 2017, Lincoln; found Dec. 4 & 5, 2017 in Edgar, east of Clay Center) – only for *Aubrey C. Trail (51) charged & indicted (6/11/18) & arraigned (7/13/18) with 1st degree murder & improper disposal of human remains (plead guilty to this charge 6/18/19) & charged (3/1/19) with conspiracy to commit murder. Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP.
Trial started 6/17/19 with jury selection. Trial started on 6/18/19 & runs thru 7/8/19. Jurors: 7 women & 5 men, with 3 women alternates. One juror was excused for family emergency on 6/28/19 (no gender available). Jurors could be 8 women & 4 men. Now 2 women alternates.
Court info & Trial info from Day 1-11 (6/11/19 to 7/3/19) reference post #21 here:
GUILTY - NE - Sydney Loofe, 24, Lincoln, 15 Nov 2017 - #4

7/8/19 Day 12: Trail is not in court today. State witnesses: Dr. Michelle Elieff, Pathologist did autopsy on Sydney. Steven Symes, Forensic Anthropologist. FBI Agent Mike Maseth. The State will call one more witness tomorrow & defense has 2 witnesses to call, unsure if Trail will testify. Jury should start deliberations on Wednesday. Trial continues on 7/9.
7/9/19 Day 13: Trail back in court today. Judge allowed letters from jail in as evidence (letters from AT & BB). State witness: FBI Investigator Mike Maseth. State rests. Defense witnesses: Terra Gehrig (friend of Sydney's). JoLana Randall (works at Grand Weaver Hotel in Fall City/helps with reservations & handling money. She saw Boswell/Trail, 3 or 4 times, she said she saw Loofe for sure twice. Another hotel clerk from Fall City (no name given) (saw Loofe with Trail & Boswell there weeks before her supposed dates with Boswell). Aubrey Trail (testified for about 4 hours). The judge says we could be heading into jury deliberations by tomorrow afternoon. Trial continues on 7/10.
7/10/19 Day 14: Defense rests. State’s rebuttal witnesses: Terra Gherig (Sydney's friend). FBI investigator Mike Maseth. John Cummings (he ran the antique shop near the Grand Weaver hotel). State rests. Closing arguments. The jury of 6 men and 6 women now have Trail's case for deliberations. They are sequestered so if they don't reach a verdict by 9 p.m., they will go to a hotel and come back at 9 a.m. tomorrow. Jury is done deliberating after about 2 1/2 hours. The jury has found Trail GUILTY charges of 1st degree murder and conspiracy to kill Sydney. The jury is to return tomorrow 7/11 at 9 a.m. to begin the second phase of trial to determine if Trail deserves the death penalty for his crime.
*Bailey M. Boswell (23) – Next Pretrial hearing on 8/9. Trial starts 10/25 thru 11/1/19.

Here's an old picture of AT when he did time at the Nebraska State Penitentiary. Super creepy!

photo

29-2523.
Aggravating and mitigating circumstances.
The aggravating and mitigating circumstances referred to in sections 29-2519 to 29-2524 shall be as follows:

(1) Aggravating Circumstances:

(a) The offender was previously convicted of another murder or a crime involving the use or threat of violence to the person, or has a substantial prior history of serious assaultive or terrorizing criminal activity;

(b) The murder was committed in an effort to conceal the commission of a crime, or to conceal the identity of the perpetrator of such crime;

(c) The murder was committed for hire, or for pecuniary gain, or the defendant hired another to commit the murder for the defendant;

(d) The murder was especially heinous, atrocious, cruel, or manifested exceptional depravity by ordinary standards of morality and intelligence;

(e) At the time the murder was committed, the offender also committed another murder;

(f) The offender knowingly created a great risk of death to at least several persons;

(g) The victim was a public servant having lawful custody of the offender or another in the lawful performance of his or her official duties and the offender knew or should have known that the victim was a public servant performing his or her official duties;

(h) The murder was committed knowingly to disrupt or hinder the lawful exercise of any governmental function or the enforcement of the laws; or

(i) The victim was a law enforcement officer engaged in the lawful performance of his or her official duties as a law enforcement officer and the offender knew or reasonably should have known that the victim was a law enforcement officer.

(2) Mitigating Circumstances:

(a) The offender has no significant history of prior criminal activity;

(b) The offender acted under unusual pressures or influences or under the domination of another person;

(c) The crime was committed while the offender was under the influence of extreme mental or emotional disturbance;

(d) The age of the defendant at the time of the crime;

(e) The offender was an accomplice in the crime committed by another person and his or her participation was relatively minor;

(f) The victim was a participant in the defendant's conduct or consented to the act; or

(g) At the time of the crime, the capacity of the defendant to appreciate the wrongfulness of his or her conduct or to conform his or her conduct to the requirements of law was impaired as a result of mental illness, mental defect, or intoxication.
Great news on the verdict. Aggravating circumstances d and h IMO.

Asked what AT reaction was to the verdict being read. Screen recording of her answer attached. (ETA, it will not let me attach it. It is part of her fb live going on now that i linked in above post). Basically no emotion, no reaction. I excepted some sort of drama from him despite him saying previously that he didn’t care what the jury decided.

Celebrating Sydney Loofe

Tried to post the photo of Sydney with her family from here but it wouldn't work for me. RIP Sydney.

Man who slashed his neck in courtroom convicted of murder in Sydney Loofe trial

"WILBER, Neb. – A Nebraska man was convicted Wednesday of killing a 24-year-old Lincoln woman and could now face the death penalty.

A jury began deliberating Wednesday afternoon and in less than three hours agreed to convict 52-year-old Aubrey Trail of first-degree murder in the 2017 death of Sydney Loofe. Trail also was found guilty of criminal conspiracy to commit murder.

Trail and his girlfriend, Bailey Boswell, were both charged with first-degree murder. Loofe’s body parts were found in 14 pieces in ditches along a state highway, weeks after her November 2017 disappearance."

So he was found guilty of both criminal conspiracy to commit murder as well as 1st degree murder. Looks like BB trial will be cut and dried IMO. You cannot conspire by yourself.

Also, this from the article - him saying about killing 14 other people.

"Trail had maintained Loofe’s death happened accidentally during rough sex. Trail said he made up stories, including one about killing 14 other people, to throw investigators off track."

Last edited:
His attorney's are talking now, I'll attach it here in a minute, I just have to say, from what they are saying right now...I'm incredibly impressed. They talked about why they do the work they do. They said as a public defender, you don't have to like the people you do, but everyone is entitled to a fair trial, that's the way the justice system is set up. They really praised the Saline Co. Sheriff's office. It was a pretty long press conference that they gave and I was super impressed through the WHOLE thing. I feel like a lot of times with attorney's (I apologize if there are any reading here :oops:) you just get that slimy kind of vibe from them...not these two.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back