GUILTY NE - Sydney Loofe, 24, brutally murdered, Lincoln, 15 Nov 2017 #4 *Boswell appeal 2023*

Lincoln Journal Star on Twitter
Aubrey Trail would lead police to her phone, snapped in half near a cemetery just outside of town, pitched from a car window as he, and allegedly Bailey Boswell, headed west to rural Clay County to dump garbage bags filled with her cut-up remains.

buff.ly/2xyuxMG

Expert says hacksaw — like one Trail bought hours before Loofe’s death — was used to dismember her
Expert says hacksaw — like one Trail bought hours before Loofe’s death — was used to dismember her
Before the pathologist took the stand here Monday, Saline County District Judge Vicky Johnson warned jurors it would be difficult to look at the photos that would be part of the doctor's presentation.

But it was important to see them to understand the state’s contention, she told them.

3NewsNow on Twitter
Today, the jury at Aubrey Trail's murder trial saw the full manner in which Sydney Loofe was dismembered in November of 2017. Prosecutors told the jury that even though Loofe’s body was dismembered, there was clear intention to murder her.

Trail trial - Pathologist testifies Loofe died by homicide
(BBM)
Trail trial - Pathologist testifies Loofe died by homicide
Today, the jury at Aubrey Trail's murder trial saw the full manner in which Sydney Loofe was dismembered in November of 2017. Prosecutors told the jury that even though Loofe’s body was dismembered, there was clear evidence to show she was murdered.
The autopsy examination of the 13 body parts located...indicated Loofe had abrasions on her wrists, animals had gotten into some of the bags and there may be signs of struggle before she died.

Elieff says, “The bump on the head, the torn ear lobe, the abrasions and contusions on the back, even the restraints themselves.”

Toxicology indicated Loofe had antidepressant medication in her system but no signs of drug abuse. The defense argued that the autopsy couldn’t prove if Loofe’s organs were used for a ritual or if this was an actual murder.

Elieff told prosecutors that she was unable to determine whether or not the strangulation was intentional when asked about her examination.

Doctor Steven Symes, a forensic pathologist, testified regarding the cuts made to dismember Loofe’s body. He said at least three different tools were used: a saw, a possible knife and sheers or scissors.

Lori Pilger on Twitter
Steven Symes, a leading, forensic anthropologist from Mississippi who specializes in saw and knife mark analysis and dismemberment cases, showed the jury Monday afternoon how the cuts on the body were made.

Lori Pilger on Twitter
Symes looked at the yellow-handed, Stanley brand, high-tension hacksaw with a 24-teeth per inch blade just like the one Trail bought at Home Depot Nov. 15, 2017, less than seven hours before Loofe’s date with Boswell.

"It’s consistent with this particular purchase,” he said.

Lori Pilger on Twitter
While Trail has admitted he dismembered Loofe’s body, he has denied using the hacksaw he bought that day to do it when confronted by FBI agents about the timing, which prosecutors say points to premeditation.

bbm
https://www.kfornow.com/aubrey-trail-murder-trial-testimony-from-fbi-agent-and-medical-examiner/
AUBREY TRAIL MURDER TRIAL: Testimony From FBI Agent And Medical Examiner
Pathologist Dr. Michelle Elieff said Monday that her exam also showed bruising and other injuries that suggest Loofe struggled before her death.

FBI Agent Mike Maseth also testified Monday that Trail’s co-defendant, Bailey Boswell, told another person on Tinder that she would be busy for a couple days on the day Loofe was killed.

bbm-to me this is OBVIOUSLY a premeditated murder, but some of this testimony is worrying me that they may not be able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt to the jury. To be clear there’s no way in h*ll I believe for a second this was any sort of accident, just have a sick feeling that there is even a small possibility here that AT may have a similar fate to Casey Anthony, OJ Simpson, etc.
Pathologist testifies that Sydney Loofe's body showed signs of struggle, use of restraints
Pathologist testifies that Sydney Loofe's body showed signs of struggle, use of restraints
Dr. Michelle Elieff said that her examination of Loofe’s body found bruising at Loofe’s wrists, a torn earlobe, and bruising at the back of her head and inner thigh.

The wrist bruises indicated that she had been restrained and had struggled before she died of suffocation, Elieff said.

But those signs of struggle could also have been consistent with “rough, consensual sex,” couldn’t they, asked one of Trail’s court-appointed attorneys, Joe Murray.

“Yes,” responded Elieff.

Photographs she took of the dismembered body were shown to jurors, but not to the audience. A couple of jurors looked away after glancing at the photos. Many had grim facial expressions as they looked at the grisly photos while Elieff explained the bruising and scratches she found on the body.

Loofe’s mother and sister left the courtroom as the autopsy was described.

The pathologist said her examination concluded that Loofe died of suffocation, either manually (by the use of someone’s hands) or via the use of a belt or other ligature.

Most of the internal organs on the body were missing, Elieff said, and there was little blood left in the body.

Is the lack of blood consistent with someone draining the blood from the body, asked one of the prosecutors, Sandra Allen of the Nebraska Attorney General’s Office.

Elieff said the lack of blood could be caused by a lot of factors.

Under questioning by Murray, the doctor also said it could not be determined whether the lack of internal organs was due to predator activity by animals after the body parts were deposited along the road, or because they were intentionally removed.
Murray also asked if the autopsy could determine whether Loofe was killed intentionally, or accidentally.

No, that could not be determined, Elieff said.

If anyone else really was present during that 2nd date wouldn’t cell phone records show that? Isn’t there a thing called a “tower dump” that would release all cell phones at that location during a specified timeframe? If true wouldn’t those 2 women AT claims paid for this fantasy be brought in to testify? If there were no others present than his claim of a “sexual fantasy” being played out is total bull in my opinion. If I am correct there’s no proof of a sexual fantasy even being presented at this moment is there?...no contract, no video, no present witnesses, no funds or money transactions being brought up...how can his defense team say he’s being consistent with his story if they can’t provide the 2 witnesses he claims were there?
This case frustrates me and I am so invested in it because it happened so close to where I live!

1011 NOW on Twitter
The prosecution in the Sydney Loofe murder trial will call their last witness tomorrow morning- then the defense will have their turn, and Trail could even take the stand.

Here's the latest from the courtroom:
Anthropologist says tool used to dismember Sydney Loofe consistent with saw Trail bought before Loofe's death
Anthropologist says tool used to dismember Sydney Loofe consistent with saw Trail bought before Loofe's death
The prosecution in the Sydney Loofe murder case will call their final witness Tuesday morning after three weeks of testimony.

Then, the defense will have their chance to call witnesses- and Aubrey Trail, will have his chance to take the stand.
First, the pathologist who performed her autopsy, Dr. Michelle Elieff.
She said they knew the body was Loofe’s initially because of her tattoos, but then confirmed that through dental records.

Then, her task was determining a cause of death.

Eventually, it was ruled homicidal actions, including strangulation.

But it wasn’t easy to come to that conclusion because several parts of Loofe’s body were missing.

The bottom of the jaw and tissue inside was missing, her tongue, the upper part of her trachea and windpipe,” Elieff said.

What was there led them to believe Loofe was strangled.

Elieff said Loofe had burst blood vessels in her eyes and across her face, as well as significant hemorrhage in her lower neck, all of which are signs of strangulation.

In an interview with Trail that was played in the courtroom, he described “pulling” and “releasing” a cord around Loofe’s neck during the fantasy, he said he must have held on for too long when Loofe died.

The prosecution asked Elieff how long it would take to strangle someone to death.

“Strangulation is a process,” Elieff said. “Unconsciousness can happen in as little as ten seconds, it usually takes minutes for strangulation to result in death.”

She said the rest of the autopsy showed there were some bruises and scratches on Loofe’s body that she could have gotten either right before or around the time of death. There were also ligature marks on her wrists.

She did say there were some marks on the body that appeared to come from predation, or animals that were in the field where Loofe was left.

The defense asked if some of the missing body parts, like the upper neck, heart and lungs could be missing because of predators.

Elieff said it was possible, because there were teeth marks in some areas of the body, but she said there was more tissue gone than would usually indicate an animal was responsible.

She also tested Loofe’s body for drugs. She said there was no blood in the body to test, but they checked her brain tissue and urine.

The only drugs detected were anti-depressants and an anti-anxiety medication. There was no evidence of any illegal drugs in Loofe’s system, despite previous testimony that Loofe had smoked marijuana in the days before her death.

“It’s possible that if I had blood to test, it would have shown evidence of marijuana,” Elieff said.

Elieff also examined Loofe’s genitals. She said they found no signs of injury to her vaginal or anal cavities. She said there was slight hemorrhaging in her vaginal cavity, but that could have been caused by anything- including inserting a tampon.

Previous testimony showed Loofe had started her period a few days before she died.

The defense asked if the hemorrhaging in her vaginal cavity, the ligature marks and scratches and bruises could have come from rough consensual sex and Elieff said yes.
Symes, based out of Mississippi, specializes in cases involving dismemberment.

He described many clean, sharp cuts on Loofe’s body made by three different tools, including a hack saw similar to the one Trail is seen buying on surveillance video from Home Depot.

The defense asked Symes if it was possible another type of saw was used to dismember the body and he said while possible, it was unlikely.

Symes did say there were several parts of the body that had damage from animals, including the jaw.

Symes also said there were several things that set the Loofe case apart from the hundreds of other dismemberment cases he’s investigated.
Including the amount of flesh missing from her body.

“I thought I saw a lot of exposed bone, it’s very unusual,” Symes said.

He said bones in her neck, ankles, shoulders, knees and back were exposed.

He also said there was a “remarkable lack” of knife marks to the bones, indicating much of the dismemberment was done with a saw.

The prosecution will call their final witness Tuesday morning. They will go over letters found in the Saline County Jail they believer show communication between Trail and Bailey Boswell, a co- defendant in the case.

The defense will then call two witnesses, only one can appear in person. Attorneys will read the deposition of the other.

Both are employees of the Grand Weaver hotel in Falls City. Ben Murray, one of Trail’s defense attorneys said the employees believe they saw Loofe at their hotel months before she went missing.

Trail could also take the stand. Ben Murray left the courthouse immediately after testimony to visit Trail and find out if he wants to take the stand.

Joe Murray, who is also representing Trail said they won’t know for sure if he will testify until the morning.

The jury is expected to start deliberation Wednesday.
Bbm

There's no way they won't be guilty. If they found him not guilty because they couldn't prove it wasn't an accident, this excuse could literally be used in any murder ever. You could pick anyone up, kill them, and say it was during consensual violent sex. Mackenzie Lueck? Accident. Yingying? Accident. There's nothing that shows any part of what happened was in any way consensual. The defense is saying she needed money for weed. 1) weed isn't that expensive 2) Sydney told BB she was trying to quit and hadn't smoked in 6 days. I mean, they bought dismembering tools the day of and absolutely mutilated her body beyond comprehension. PLUS, there are witnesses saying that they'd been discussing doing this EXACT thing. If this amount of evidence can't convict him, there's literally nothing that could. They could find a video of it and AT could say, "But we were making a fake snuff film and she was acting... after she accidentally died, we just decided to continue so we could make more money... but the death was an accident."

I honestly don't care if either of them get the death penalty (SL's family might disagree with me), but there's no way they can get less than life.

The defense's only witnesses are 2 employees at the same hotel who THINK they saw SL at their hotel months before she was murdered? That's awesome.

ETA - Also interesting that she had no injuries to her vaginal or anal cavities... but she died during rough sex.

Sydney Loofe's death caused by
Sydney Loofe's death caused by "homicidal means," according to pathologist
Elieff noted that many of Loofe's organs were gone, including the tongue, heart, left lung, liver, kidneys, intestines, trachea, most of the esophagus and aorta.

"(Loofe's) mid-torso section, where many of those internal organs would be, was pretty much a donut of skin and underlying fatty tissue," Elieff said.

Elieff, and law enforcement, were unable to officially determine how, or why, the organs were removed.
Loofe's remains were mostly found in ditches or cornfields, leaving them subject to damage from predatory animals.

Elieff said animals typically go for areas of soft tissue, but she found those areas to be "not disturbed" by animals.

There was minor predatory damage, mainly in the form of scratches, found on a nipple, on the jaw and on top of one of the feet.
There was also evidence of "microscopic hemorrhage" near Loofe's vaginal area, which suggests possible sexual activity within a "few hours or a day" of death.

Elieff said that could have also been caused by the insertion of a tampon, or some kind of "sexual enhancing" device.

Some of the more notable findings were on the lower neck area, where Elieff described areas of hemorrhage throughout, and areas of soft issue missing. She found areas of hemorrhage all the way down to the muscle in the neck area.

"There is some amount of force that's needed to that," Elieff said.

Elieff also found markings and bruises that, to her, suggested were caused by some kind of "dismemberment instrument."

These markings were especially apparent in the arm and torso areas.
Elieff also noted that there was hardly any blood left in Loofe's body upon recovery - something that was not unexpected, since her body was cut up.

Trail stated last June that he made a "deep cut" on Loofe's neck, and drained her blood into some sort of container. That container was never found.

At the end of the autopsy, Elieff concluded that Loofe's cause of death was by "homicidal means to include strangulation," which is the cause of death of a person at the hands of another.

The autopsy did not show, however, the manner of death. Whether or not it was intentional or accidental. The manner of death is not covered in the definition of "death by homicidal means."

"The manner of death is left up to the county attorney," Elieff said.

Elieff also stated that she couldn't definitely say whether the strangulation was caused by an item, or human hands.
Symes said he focused on the cut marks made on her bones, from her ankles to the neck vertebrate.

Symes noted that there was "lots of tissue missing" in the areas of any cuts. While he didn't rule out predatory damage, Symes said the cuts on Loofe's bones looked "too uniform to be all from predation."

He also noted many "false starts" on Loofe's body - cuts that didn't go all the way through the bone, especially in both femurs.

Symes could also tell from observing the cuts on Loofe's bones that there were a lot of "back-and-forth sawing motions" made during the dismemberment.

When observing cuts on the ribs, Symes noticed indications of a "fast-moving blade," as well as "heavy duty shears" that may have been used to make cuts.

When looking at neck vertebrate, Symes said there were no signs of "animal chewing" or "knife cuts."

Looking at his study overall, Symes identified three weapons that were most likely used in dismembering Loofe: a bow saw, a hacksaw and the heavy duty shears.

After narrowing down all possibilities, Symes concluded that the primary tool used to dismember Loofe was a 24-tooth-per-inch hacksaw.

"I could tell it was a blade that cuts very thin," Symes said. "It had very tiny teeth. I'm convinced it was a hacksaw."

Records show that Trail purchased a Stanley-brand, high-tension hacksaw from the Home Depot on N 27th St. in Lincoln on the morning of Nov. 15 - a saw that Symes says "matches the characteristics" of his findings.

The defense's only witnesses are 2 employees at the same hotel who THINK they saw SL at their hotel months before she was murdered? That's awesome.

ETA - Also interesting that she had no injuries to her vaginal or anal cavities... but she died during rough sex.
Well and maybe AT,(lol) which will probably not do the defense any good. I was surprised that’s all they have for witnesses. Made me feel a lot better about the likelihood of him being found guilty knowing they don’t seem to have anything that’s going to come out at the end that could leave the jury unsure, like their own expert witnesses or photo/video evidence to somehow prove AT story, not just two hotel coworkers who maybe saw SL. Landlady thought she maybe saw SL with BB, but wasn’t sure, so it didn’t seem to really have much effect; I can’t imagine this will be any different.

bbm-to me this is OBVIOUSLY a premeditated murder, but some of this testimony is worrying me that they may not be able to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt to the jury. To be clear there’s no way in h*ll I believe for a second this was any sort of accident, just have a sick feeling that there is even a small possibility here that AT may have a similar fate to Casey Anthony, OJ Simpson, etc.
There’s no way he’s not going to be convicted. Not with the purchases he and Bailey made, and that creepy surveillance video showing him stalking her at Menard’s.

In OJ’s case I think the jury was sequestered far too long, and didn’t understand the evidence well, and the experts weren’t able to explain the significance of the DNA since it was still such a new thing in courtrooms. Casey was overcharged...there was just too much room left for reasonable doubt for the specific charges against her. I think if they had gone for a different charge she may have been convicted. (Side note: I occasionally see photos of her out and about with people and I just wonder who the hell wants to be Casey Anthony’s friend??)

There's no way they won't be guilty. If they found him not guilty because they couldn't prove it wasn't an accident, this excuse could literally be used in any murder ever. You could pick anyone up, kill them, and say it was during consensual violent sex. Mackenzie Lueck? Accident. Yingying? Accident. There's nothing that shows any part of what happened was in any way consensual. The defense is saying she needed money for weed. 1) weed isn't that expensive 2) Sydney told BB she was trying to quit and hadn't smoked in 6 days. I mean, they bought dismembering tools the day of and absolutely mutilated her body beyond comprehension. PLUS, there are witnesses saying that they'd been discussing doing this EXACT thing. If this amount of evidence can't convict him, there's literally nothing that could. They could find a video of it and AT could say, "But we were making a fake snuff film and she was acting... after she accidentally died, we just decided to continue so we could make more money... but the death was an accident."

I honestly don't care if either of them get the death penalty (SL's family might disagree with me), but there's no way they can get less than life.
And now AT/BB’s claims about Sydney smoking weed are disproven, since there was no evidence of it in her body at all, so it just shows one more lie they told.

Well and maybe AT,(lol) which will probably not do the defense any good. I was surprised that’s all they have for witnesses. Made me feel a lot better about the likelihood of him being found guilty knowing they don’t seem to have anything that’s going to come out at the end that could leave the jury unsure, like their own expert witnesses or photo/video evidence to somehow prove AT story, not just two hotel coworkers who maybe saw SL. Landlady thought she maybe saw SL with BB, but wasn’t sure, so it didn’t seem to really have much effect; I can’t imagine this will be any different.
It seems like the prosecution should be able to counter “possible sightings” of Sydney with evidence she was at work or cell phone evidence either from towers or GPS on the phone itself.

And what exactly are they trying to prove? That she was a sex worker or something?

It seems like the prosecution should be able to counter “possible sightings” of Sydney with evidence she was at work or cell phone evidence either from towers or GPS on the phone itself.

And what exactly are they trying to prove? That she was a sex worker or something?

AT is from Falls City, so probably that she had previously hung out and had sex with him and BB. Which makes no sense considering her conversation with "Audrey" indicated they'd never met (asking basic get to know someone questions). Also, she didn't recognize AT when he went into Menards (without BB, because SL would have recognized her).

I think they’re just grasping at straws.

Lincoln Journal Star on Twitter
Aubrey Trail would lead police to her phone, snapped in half near a cemetery just outside of town, pitched from a car window as he, and allegedly Bailey Boswell, headed west to rural Clay County to dump garbage bags filled with her cut-up remains.

buff.ly/2xyuxMG

Did LE ever find the hacksaw? IIRC, I read somewhere they didn't find all of the large aluminum roasting pans that BB bought that day.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back