NE - woman accused of having sex with young son

BBM, with all due respect what else would you expect this poor boy to do? In his head, right now, it might be easier for him to process this whole thing by at least thinking that something ELSE like a drug addiction caused his mother to do this to him.

Because who would ever want to have to admit to themselves, especially a child who doesn't have the experience or insight to realize, that their own mother is just sick enough without other outside influences to molest them?

I think it is a coping mechanism for him and God bless him, whatever he needs right now to deal with it....he should have it.

SleuthyMama, you misunderstood the meaning of that sentence. What I meant was I felt bad that he was trying to possibly defend his mother's actions. There is no defense. In all likelyhood, this young man still loves his mother despite what she did to him. It's hard to believe but abused children do sometimes still love their abusing parent and will try to defend them.

I too wish him all the help than he can get.

Garland--Just a gentle reminder that a sexual act with a child is not called "relations". I'm very sensitive to that comment as eight of my children were raped by a young man who did 10 years for the crime. He wasn't convicted of having "sexual relations" with my 6-12 year olds but of raping and sodomizing them.

I'm sorry if this seems like a rant but my entire point of starting this thread was to point out, once again, that choice of words in the media or even on this board can be an attempt to minimize a heinous crime against the innocence of children.

I, too, used to make this mistake with wording but no longer. A rape is a rape is a rape.

Sorry about that. I just thought that it was considered the same thing as raping a child & just thought that I would try to put it in a different way.

I'm also very sorry to hear about what happened to your children & I hope that things are going better for them now.

Apology graciously accepted, Garland. I think choice of words is vital on this subject. I would suggest the phrase, "illegal sexual contact", if you are not certain that a rape (rape typically describes penetration) has occurred.

Sexual relations or relationships are what consensual adults may choose to participate in. We are of an age where we can give willingly consent. Even if a child seemingly complies with an adult's sick perversion, that does not make it a relationship. A child does not have the legal right or emotional capacity to consent. It is either rape or, in general terms, "illegal sexual contact or assault". JMO

Talk to survivors and get their take on it. My guess is that they will fill your ear quite readily that the incident in their past which caused them agony and pain and which has required decades of therapy and/or processing was not a "relationship".

Thank you for being open to education on this matter. I value that so much in someone.

Apology graciously accepted, Garland. I think choice of words is vital on this subject. I would suggest the phrase, "illegal sexual contact", if you are not certain that a rape (rape typically describes penetration) has occurred.

Sexual relations or relationships are what consensual adults may choose to participate in. We are of an age where we can give willingly consent. Even if a child seemingly complies with an adult's sick perversion, that does not make it a relationship. A child does not have the legal right or emotional capacity to consent. It is either rape or, in general terms, "illegal sexual contact or assault". JMO

Talk to survivors and get their take on it. My guess is that they will fill your ear quite readily that the incident in their past which caused them agony and pain and which has required decades of therapy and/or processing was not a "relationship".

Thank you for being open to education on this matter. I value that so much in someone.

You're quite welcome:). I also thank you for helping me out in being careful on what to say in the future. I was never trying to offend anyone.

Thank you, Garland, for being so open to a different way of looking at things. The one challenge I would give you is to be on the look-out yourself for this false labeling and minimization. If we all work together to politely teach, this crime will receive the attention it should.

As an aside, there's a discussion of this same issue going on over at the thread Texas Mist opened concerning the Tennessee doctor. Same exact issue.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back