Neglected & underweight at 2, Sovereign the Staffordshire shire now 6'10" and rising

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jul 18, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Britain’s tallest horse: How underweight and neglected Sovereign became a ‘monster’… and he’s still growing.(Daily Mail)
    more, with pictures and a video, at the link

Shire horse Sovereign (picture)

2. Loading...

3. Herding Cats

Herding Cats New Member

Gorgeous horse. I like my horses tall and wide...Tango is 16.3, and somewhat "short" for me...but this guy - he's stunning. Tall, proud, and gloriously beautiful - as a Sovereign should be.

Thanks for posting, Wuff. I have to wipe the drool off my keyboard, but thanks for posting.

Best-
    Herding Cats

4. Ada

Ada New Member

Hrmm. I'm no expert but those photos looked a little shopped to me.

5. Herding Cats

Herding Cats New Member

No, those are real photos. Lots of folks don't realize how large horses can get...and a shire is one of the largest horses going.

I rode a 19hh Belgian horse once...had the hardest time mounting. Matter of fact, he was so wide hipped that I got stuck swinging my leg over, and slid in slo motion a LONG way down his left foreleg. Bless his heart, he didn't move - his feet were the size of dinner plates, so I'm glad he didn't even move a muscle. I laid there laughing. He was a true gentle giant.

And that horse was SMALLER than the one here.

No, horses can get huge. No 'shopping that I can tell.

Best-
    Herding Cats

6. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

7. CHERIE.T

CHERIE.T Former Member

Glad he is growing and healthy ! A beauty too.

8. TallCoolOne

TallCoolOne Registered Lurker

I'm with Herding Cats on this one, I too like my horses tall and wide, my Sonny is 16.1 (Quarter Horse) and hubby's horse Kodi stands 17.1 (Paint/Draft cross). They both have a very large, wide butt and I love and admire every square inch of 'em! LOL. Horse butts, the bigger the better as far as I'm concerned!

He's a beauty and I am glad someone who cared bought him and fed him up and gave him a chance.

This is a happy story and I'm glad you shared wfgodot.

9. mikkismom

mikkismom Active Member

One of my neighbors has Shires. They are beautiful animals. Glad that this one got the help he needed.

jmo

10. Ada

Ada New Member

I understand that horses can be tall, but, those particular pictures look shopped to me. The horse appears to be slightly floating in the stills. The shot on the video looks real. The height difference isn't as drastic on that shot, though.